Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Wanna roll coal? I don't think so

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Wanna roll coal? I don't think so

Old 10-09-17, 06:48 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yes, at least until it becomes a revenue stream for a garage to fail cars on minor issues that really have no effect on safety or emissions that require fixing before they will pass it.
That is quite easily handled by having inspection stations that cannot do repairs... they can only test. If you need a repair(you didn't pass inspection) you go to a different place (your choice ) and have repairs done.

This is how it is done in CA. The inspection place does a second test for free. If you still don't pass they send the data to the state anyway... and you become a gross polluter, and the state takes further action. Either telling you to get it fixed in a set time or offering a token amount to buy your busted junk vehicle and get it off the road.

This way there are checks and balances for the whole process.
Old 10-11-17, 09:24 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
That is quite easily handled by having inspection stations that cannot do repairs... they can only test. If you need a repair(you didn't pass inspection) you go to a different place (your choice ) and have repairs done.

This is how it is done in CA. The inspection place does a second test for free. If you still don't pass they send the data to the state anyway... and you become a gross polluter, and the state takes further action. Either telling you to get it fixed in a set time or offering a token amount to buy your busted junk vehicle and get it off the road.

This way there are checks and balances for the whole process.
This all sounds good in theory. This being the real world I can see all kinds of loopholes. Why, oh why are we still, in 2017, dealing with internal combustion engines and all their attendant drama? To say nothing of the fact that automotive topics inevitably predominate in most sub-forums on what is ostensibly a forum suite about bicycles and bicycling...
Old 10-11-17, 09:46 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
I see a fair number of coal rollers out here in KY (fitting given that there is a license plate for coal supporters). I've given up being surprised at stupidity and shortsightedness of polluters.
Old 10-11-17, 10:15 AM
hagak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, at least until it becomes a revenue stream for a garage to fail cars on minor issues that really have no effect on safety or emissions that require fixing before they will pass it.
This is the problem with inspection requirements. I have never had a car pass inspection without at min. having to get new windshield wipers! Seriously same car every year new wipers. Why you ask because it is a small enough charge that most people will just pay it on the spot. Before people ask I have had this happen in multiple different shops. Also I got into the habit of making sure my windshield is clean before taking it in and that has helped but still get it from time to time. Oh and the best is when you see cars on the road with parts literally hanging on with duct tape but your 1 year old vehicle failed inspection because of windshield wipers!

So while I think the intent of inspection laws is great, I have not see execution of said laws really work all that well.
Old 10-11-17, 10:37 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
This all sounds good in theory. This being the real world I can see all kinds of loopholes. Why, oh why are we still, in 2017, dealing with internal combustion engines and all their attendant drama? To say nothing of the fact that automotive topics inevitably predominate in most sub-forums on what is ostensibly a forum suite about bicycles and bicycling...
Because until very recently, they were the best option available that were mass producible at a price point that the masses could afford if they wished to have any driving range whatsoever?

Even in the short term, the capacity to produce enough batteries, and the infrastructure to support charging them all, is still not a reality to make every vehicle an EV. And, even with emissions conditions taken out of the loop, I seriously doubt states will give up on vehicle inspections.
Old 10-11-17, 10:48 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Because until very recently, they were the best option available that were mass producible at a price point that the masses could afford if they wished to have any driving range whatsoever?

Even in the short term, the capacity to produce enough batteries, and the infrastructure to support charging them all, is still not a reality to make every vehicle an EV. And, even with emissions conditions taken out of the loop, I seriously doubt states will give up on vehicle inspections.
It was a rhetorical question...
Old 10-11-17, 12:19 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
As I mentioned, this IS how it is done in CA.

The "loopholes" are that vehicle owners can and do pull and replace illegal parts with legal parts just prior to inspection.

But the process works fairly well, otherwise. It is only those actively seeking to thwart the system that might be able to do so... but if they are caught, the fines are rather high for tampering with a emission control system.

Now the flip side to all this is that a coworker once told me how he did the "rolling coal" effect... had something to do with revving the engine, then lugging it by popping the clutch at the wrong moment... then as the engine bogged down, he stomped on it, leaving the resulting smoke. Kinda hard to get around a "technique."
Old 10-11-17, 03:11 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
What's wrong with people nowadays??? I mean diesel trucks has been around for decades. Growing up, people did not do these things back in the days.
Well growing up diesel trucks were usually big work trucks... it is only in the past couple of decades that the smaller diesels have been around... even turbo diesels... and of course "Daddy wants a big ole truck..."

Also consider that folks that respect and work with their vehicles, tend to not do things that will foul them up.

The first permanent offering of a diesel powertrain in a consumer light duty truck was in 1982, when Ford and GM introduced their diesel options. Introduced with a whopping 170 horsepower the 6.9L (420 cubic inch) IDI (indirect injection) diesel engine entered the market.
Family Lineage - The Evolution Of Ford Diesel Engines - Diesel Army
Old 10-11-17, 05:08 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts

It will require approx 30-40% increase in US generating capacity (watts) to support a full ev-fleet. That doesn't count the added cost of providing sufficient capacity to the charging points (assuming that realistic full ev will require a network of fast-chargers). Even if you make unrealistic assumption of all slow charging at night, the base load increase in watt-hours is at least 25%. Meanwhile the US has been busy in shutting down base load generation (coal-fired).

Meanwhile my state has no smog requirement and the regular inspection is a quick $20 for the service station locations that do them. This year they added a requirement for annual inspections on mopeds, due to complaints of "loud exhausts". My experience is the pollution from those mopeds is much worse than any rolling coal.

scott s.
Old 10-12-17, 06:46 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
It will require approx 30-40% increase in US generating capacity (watts) to support a full ev-fleet. That doesn't count the added cost of providing sufficient capacity to the charging points (assuming that realistic full ev will require a network of fast-chargers). Even if you make unrealistic assumption of all slow charging at night, the base load increase in watt-hours is at least 25%. Meanwhile the US has been busy in shutting down base load generation (coal-fired).

Meanwhile my state has no smog requirement and the regular inspection is a quick $20 for the service station locations that do them. This year they added a requirement for annual inspections on mopeds, due to complaints of "loud exhausts". My experience is the pollution from those mopeds is much worse than any rolling coal.

scott s.
Oahu is lucky in that we do not have many fools rolling coal. On the other hand, we hand large numbers of mopeds compared to most states other than CA.