Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you really pay for?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What do you really pay for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 08:38 AM
BNSF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
Because of crap like this:
That thread was five years ago.... And it was about an incident which had occurred years earlier. You do realize its OK to just let things go?

But now that you mention it, I need to vent about the guy who stole the last parking spot in the front row at the grocery store back in 1986. That guy makes my blood boil!!!!

Last edited by BNSF; 04-24-20 at 09:59 AM.
Likes For BNSF:
Old 04-24-20, 09:36 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
Because of crap like this:
In the immortal words of Mahatma Ghandi:

"Jeez dude, let it go ..."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-24-20, 09:44 AM
Rider_1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I'm not even reading certain members' responses. The mere fact that you feel compelled to respond tells me all I need to know hahahaha!
Old 04-24-20, 10:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by BNSF
That thread was five years ago.... And it was about an incident which had occurred years earlier. You do realize its OK to just let things go?

But now that you mention it, I need to vent about the guy who stole the last parking spot in the front row at the grocery store back in 1986. That guy makes my blood boil!!!!
I can still see the expression on your face. Priceless. Is it too late to apologize?
Old 04-24-20, 10:02 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Originally Posted by jorglueke
Obviously there's an initial cost to get a bike that works and will not break down quickly. For the sake of argument lets say that this is represented in 2016 by the entry level Trek/Specialized Road bikes at $1000. You're paying for the frame/fork, and the wheels, and somewhat the other components though those can be swapped and upgraded. So when you move from $1000 to $2000 to $4000 what are you paying for really? Is it all weight, mostly weight? Durability, style, performance? I'm curious because I feel like the vast majority of bikers don't need any of that and yet sales must be fairly robust.

$1000 roadie from the big brands these days is typically Sora. I'd spend more or shop for last year's models so you can get into some 105. Tiagra at least.

MTBs I'd stick to hardtails at $1000, because $1k full squish isn't gonna be very nice. Even at $1k you probably won't have the nicest fork, so a full rigid plus bike may be a better deal.
Old 04-24-20, 02:11 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jorglueke
Obviously there's an initial cost to get a bike that works and will not break down quickly. For the sake of argument lets say that this is represented in 2016 by the entry level Trek/Specialized Road bikes at $1000. You're paying for the frame/fork, and the wheels, and somewhat the other components though those can be swapped and upgraded. So when you move from $1000 to $2000 to $4000 what are you paying for really? Is it all weight, mostly weight? Durability, style, performance? I'm curious because I feel like the vast majority of bikers don't need any of that and yet sales must be fairly robust.
I pay to get exactly what I want
  • A triple crank with a tight cassette yielding a straight block for flat rides plus low gears for mountains
  • Campagnolo levers which can shift five cogs smaller per actuation so I can arrive at my next gear on another ring in one motion, and plus don't lose braking with the releases open to accommodate a bent rim
  • 32 spoke wheels that can be made straight enough if one breaks
  • A power meter hub that works with any pedals/crank, dynamo lighting that doesn't run out
  • Retroreflective powder coated rims
  • Commodity wheel components so I can replace a rim when one bends
  • Titanium/clear coated carbon fiber/silver anodizing that don't show wear.
None of that would come with an entry level Trek/Specialized bike.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 04-25-20, 01:01 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhenry
Nonsense! I could have a bought a cheaper bike with cheaper components and lower quality ride with the same name and same paint. You can't tell the difference from across the parking lot.
I dont think looking at a bike across the street is the point here. It is pretty much how light, and how reliable it is. In a way it is just like buying a washing machine at Sears when they were in business. They sold good, better, and best goods. The most bang for the buck was the "better" machine. I sense what we are talking about here is really bang for the buck. For bikes once you reach the $1000 level or maybe a little more, you really do start paying for a name and only a few ounce more off the weight of the bike. I know those that have the money dont like to hear the fact that the obscenely priced bike actually run smack into snobbery. But then it is their money, and how they want to spend it is their business. Further, just remember some people can barely afford a bike at a big box store, and since it is new to them they may be very proud of it.
Old 05-13-20, 08:45 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
This is a 4 year old zombie thread restarted. No good will come out of it so it’s closed.

Just for all members understanding, report violations. Don’t respond because that just escalates things.