Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1981 Schwinn World Tourist

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 07:42 PM
Bikeboystephen
Dog Dad

Bikes: 1995 Giant ATX 760, 1997 CAAD3 R800, 2017 Trek Marlin 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
1981 Schwinn World Tourist

Is there value in these bikes with the FFS (gasps). Is there a collector culture for bikes with these bizarre freewheels or is it more just a commuter bike with an interesting story and a vintage patina. I don't really know much about these bikes and everything I've seen either tells me to run far from it or that it's a neat bike and that's what really matters. Any information would be greatly appreciated on gauging this bike. I apologise for not being able to post pictures but I am a new member and I have yet to reach my 10 post threshold
Old 06-10-20, 06:15 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Check out this thread for some commentary on FFS.

One post in there points out that FFS was NOT a failure, but actually led Shimano to the development of SIS and because of that, was pivotal.

I doubt the bike has much value. I certainly wouldn't want it. FFS, like most systems got better as years went on and yours is early on. If it was in NOS condition, perhaps there would be a place for it in someone's museum but otherwise, not much value I'm afraid.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 06-14-20, 06:30 AM
Myles Quarter

Bikes: 1985 Sakai Star

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to see some pictures!
Old 06-14-20, 09:13 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Well it is a vintage Schwinn so it does have some value while not great the FFS doesn't effect value much if it's in good working order. Basic Schwinn 10 speed models from the 70's and early 80's in good riding condition seem to go for $150 or so in the current market.
Old 06-22-20, 03:59 PM
Bikeboystephen
Dog Dad

Bikes: 1995 Giant ATX 760, 1997 CAAD3 R800, 2017 Trek Marlin 6

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Myles Quarter
I would like to see some pictures!
I would love to send some pictures, I actually have an army of bicycles I'd like to talk about and share pictures, but as a new member I cannot post pictures!