Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Topstone 105/Carbon vs. Checkpoint ALR5/SL5

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-20, 02:51 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I think I am over engineering the decision a bit, but extra tough with inventory situations and lack of ability to ride side by side. I’ve narrowed my decision to a 2020 Topstone or 2020 Checkpoint. Still unsure whether I should get the carbon or not regardless of the option, so thoughts there would help too. The Carbons both add the rear suspension, which sounds like a nice plus? Unfortunately none of the 2021 Checkpoints with GRX are available in the area.

I will be mostly road and starting to do more trail. The more relaxed and higher I can get the stem/handlebars the better given I’m used to just a simple hybrid versus a road bike.

Would be really helpful to understand the key differences to consider. The group seems to have mixed feelings so far but can’t figure out what the key pros/cons of each are. I’ve been able to ride a checkpoint but not a topstone yet.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-11-20, 03:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
This is essentially a duplicate post of this "Which Gravel Bike for $2k? Is full carbon worth it?"
Old 06-11-20, 04:12 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I'd broaden my search to include some brands that have been making gravel bikes for a decade or more. Despite marketing and branding to make you think to the contrary, the big brands (Trek, Giant, Cannondake and even Specialized) are very late to embracing gravel and are benind compared to many of the niche players that embraced gravel early on. Trek is in first iteration of their gravel frame while Salsa Warbird is on their 4th iteration and Jamis Renegade is on their third. Cannondale has spent decades making their bikes as stiff as possible and suddenly they want compliance for gravel so have had to scramble to make huge changes to frame construction in a short time. I'd look around more at what else is available. There are so many great gravel bikes available that are not from the top 4!
Old 06-11-20, 08:19 PM
av8n

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also interested in the Checkpoint SL 5 Carbon.
Old 06-11-20, 09:13 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
You can bring up and set side-by-side those bikes on 99spokes.

Compare geo, specs, blah blah.
Old 06-12-20, 06:28 AM
jcg878

Bikes: make me happy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I rode all of these 2020 models except for the carbon Topstone. I personally didn't care for the aluminum Topstone. It was very stiff and though I didn't get to ride it on gravel, I had a hard time picturing that. But it was also a quick ride at an REI that I happened to be shopping and I'm sure they set the pressure in the tires way higher than I would.

I did take both Checkpoints on dirt paths and was impressed. They are very smooth bikes. The SL5 was particularly smooth and reminded me of my 2013 Domane. On road, it felt like a numb Domane, but the ALR was impressive also. But I ended up trying a Giant Revolt Advanced and ended up purchasing a Revolt Advanced 2. The main reason was that I wanted something different. The Revolt felt more playful than either Trek, though the wheels are crazy heavy and I am looking for replacements. The is totally subjective, but it was easier for me to picture using the Giant in the places where I'd never take my Domane, which is what I've done.

That being said, I think the Checkpoint is a better one-bike solution. It reminded me so much of the Domane that I could easily picture getting another set of wheels and skinnier tires and using it as a road bike. I'm sure I can do that with the Giant too, but the geometry is more upright, the bars are flared, and it just feels more purpose-built. That may have changed with the 2021 models - they've definitely changed the drivetrain and moved to 46/30 chainrings instead of the 50/34 that I rode.
Old 06-12-20, 10:20 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

The Giant is a very nice looking and nicely equipped bike. Have fun on it !
Old 06-12-20, 11:43 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The Giant is decent, but the tires are the worst I have ever ridden (easily changeable however). Also on the Giant they do not have a GRX version available in 2020 (MISTAKE) and I have seen at least one of their cost-saving handlebar converters from Cable brake to hydraulic fail while still on the dealer floor.
Old 06-12-20, 02:28 PM
mbe

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went through this and ended up with a 2021 Checkpoint SL5.

I currently have a carbon Cannondale Synapse so felt that going to an alloy would be a downgrade. The ALR5 was quite stiff. I didn’t ride a Topstone alloy but would assume it would have a stiff ride as well on stock tires.

Part of me wanted something more unique like a Salsa or maybe even a Jamis. Unfortunately there is limited dealer network for more unique brands here where I am in Canada. Trek is well represented with a good network of dealers.

The SL5 while maybe not the most unique or advanced bike felt to me like the one that checked off the most boxes. The carbon Topstone has design elements that are very propriety (like the wheels). Also, there no provisions for a rear rack if you ever need to use one in the future. I want to cycle tour a bit and commute so that was a requirement.

What sold me was the experience I had at my local Trek dealer. Other shops weren’t willing to provide test rides but my Trek dealer was. They also agreed to swap the tires over to make them tubeless before I take delivery.

We are also in a very hard market where supply is diminishing everyday so there weren’t a lot of options to consider. If you find a bike you like that suits you, buy it.
Old 06-12-20, 02:30 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by dwmckee
The Giant is decent, but the tires are the worst I have ever ridden (easily changeable however). Also on the Giant they do not have a GRX version available in 2020 (MISTAKE) and I have seen at least one of their cost-saving handlebar converters from Cable brake to hydraulic fail while still on the dealer floor.
Not many bikes had GRX for the 2020 year. I researched 15-20 bikes at shops and online, nobody had GRX at that price point near a 105 bike (what the OP was looking at). The 11 spd. 600 group is really priced around the same or higher than an Ultegra bike and many of those were carbon and not at the $2,000 price point. Maybe things will change in 21 but right now a GRX 600 soup to nuts group is $300 more than an equivalent Ultegra group,
Old 06-14-20, 01:27 AM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I’ve owned both Topstone and Checkpoint. Both great bikes for different needs and budgets.

Currently riding the Checkpoint SL6 which is a much, much better road bike than the Topstone. More agile, more playful, fit my mix of riding surfaces perfectly.
Old 06-14-20, 09:43 AM
mbe

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by basscadet
I’ve owned both Topstone and Checkpoint. Both great bikes for different needs and budgets.

Currently riding the Checkpoint SL6 which is a much, much better road bike than the Topstone. More agile, more playful, fit my mix of riding surfaces perfectly.
What kind of Topstone did you have?
Old 06-14-20, 01:08 PM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mbe
What kind of Topstone did you have?
2019 Topstone 105 (aluminum)
Old 06-14-20, 07:49 PM
av8n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So is the only difference between the Checkpoint SL5 and SL6 the 105 vs Ultegra?
Old 06-14-20, 08:25 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by av8n
So is the only difference between the Checkpoint SL5 and SL6 the 105 vs Ultegra?
Dunno. What does the Trek website tell you ?
Old 06-14-20, 08:42 PM
av8n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...Code=greendark
Old 06-14-20, 08:43 PM
av8n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black
Old 06-14-20, 08:44 PM
av8n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fist link is the Checkpoint SL5...the second link is the SL6.
i just don’t know if the SL6 is worth an extra $1000.
Old 06-15-20, 02:04 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I'd broaden my search to include some brands that have been making gravel bikes for a decade or more. Despite marketing and branding to make you think to the contrary, the big brands (Trek, Giant, Cannondake and even Specialized) are very late to embracing gravel and are benind compared to many of the niche players that embraced gravel early on. Trek is in first iteration of their gravel frame while Salsa Warbird is on their 4th iteration and Jamis Renegade is on their third. Cannondale has spent decades making their bikes as stiff as possible and suddenly they want compliance for gravel so have had to scramble to make huge changes to frame construction in a short time. I'd look around more at what else is available. There are so many great gravel bikes available that are not from the top 4!
What??? Trek, Specialied, and Cannondale has been making endurance, CX, Adventure, Touring, and XC mtb foreverever. What difference a slight adjustment in labeling make? What steep learning curve are they going to face making a bike that goes on slightly smoother trails that XC mountain bikes, doesn't need to carry as much as a touring bike, is slightly more comfortable than a CX bike, and is slightly more robust than an endurance road bike? none?

The Warbird was intro-ed in 2013 - Picking 2010 randomly - Here are 3 2010 Treks in that space https://archive.trekbikes.com/kr/en/...ek/520/details https://archive.trekbikes.com/kr/en/...rtland/details https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...ek/xo2/details . Specialized had their Tri-Cross model in their catalog the same year. Salsa was innovative in marketing and outreach to these types of events, no-doubt. They were also innovative in getting CX+ tires made when there was a gap in performance tires between 33c and ~47c. I would call total BS when you call Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized late-comers.
I'd again call BS on needing 4 generations to get something extra special here; Salsa is on the 4th gen of the frame moving with consumer demand, industry trends, and mating their goals to their manufacturing process - that doesn't necessarily mean that gen4 is all that much better than gen1. All those brands know how to build a capable frame out of the materials and processes available, and have been doing so for years for multiple categories.