Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Topstone Carbon vs. Giant Revolt Advanced

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-20, 11:12 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

So I was finally able to get on both bikes side by side. Carbon 105 vs. Advanced 2. Ride’s were like night and day. Geometry was close enough, but generally the more upright position of the Giant was better for me. The Giant felt much much quicker. Ride quality was nice on each, certainly softer on the back with the Topstone given the kingpin suspension. I liked it a lot, but the bike felt a bit out of whack given the front hit fairly hard and back was soft. In terms of handling, the revolt felt better there as well. Not sure if it was just a tune up thing, but the revolt braked better as well...should be same components though.

At the end of the day, I pulled the trigger on the Giant and actually decided to buy the Advanced 0. I thought for the extra 1k, there was a ton of value. Upgrades to carbon wheels that retail for 1500 by themselves, ultegra vs. 105 and carbon crank.

I was also planning to get a second set of wheels with the Topstone for road use, so if I defer that and just swap tires occasionally, my spend is actually close to the same. Also can now use these nicer wheels for a future road wheel and get cheaper aluminum wheels for gravel use.

Hope this was the right decision, can’t wait to get the bike. Thoughts?
Old 06-23-20, 11:27 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Good choice, have a couple of friends with the Advanced 0 and they're really happy with it.

Swapping tubeless tires can be a pain, I would def plan on a second wheelset, much easier. I picked up a set of Oval brand alloy cyclocross wheels pretty cheap, they've taken a lot of abuse and are still going strong.
Old 06-23-20, 01:21 PM
kosmo886

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Good choice, have a couple of friends with the Advanced 0 and they're really happy with it.

Swapping tubeless tires can be a pain, I would def plan on a second wheelset, much easier. I picked up a set of Oval brand alloy cyclocross wheels pretty cheap, they've taken a lot of abuse and are still going strong.
Ya, I was wondering how swapping tubeless tires would go. I figure I will use the stock wheels with the road tires and get some cheaper ones for the off road. Maybe find some used if I am lucky.

Not familiar with shopping for wheels. What specs do i need to find for this bike?
Likes For kosmo886:
Old 06-23-20, 05:22 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Ya, I was wondering how swapping tubeless tires would go. I figure I will use the stock wheels with the road tires and get some cheaper ones for the off road. Maybe find some used if I am lucky.

Not familiar with shopping for wheels. What specs do i need to find for this bike?
12x100 front 12x142 rear (that's the thru axle size), disc obviously, centerlock or six bolt (I prefer centerlock personally, but the bike will take either, six bolt are usually cheaper, just means you have to use six bolt rotors). If you're going to use them for gravel, I'd want at least 24 spoke, at least 19mm inner diameter, and tubeless compatible. Sometimes you can find people selling them with rotors included, if so, you're looking for 160mm front and rear (but if it's a 140 on the rear you can just put a new rotor on).
Old 04-28-21, 06:14 AM
HampusP

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sizing

Thanks for your thoughts on the differences them between. Having a hard time choosing and not able to try them out. How did you find the sizes differ between the models? And did you still feel that the Revolt was faster on the tarmac, despite being more upright? Thanks again!

Cheers

Hampus
Old 04-28-21, 08:26 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
...can now use these nicer wheels for a future road wheel and get cheaper aluminum wheels for gravel use.

I wouldn't do that...carbon hoops are probably quite bit lighter, and depending on other factors may be stronger than "cheaper" aluminum wheels. I put carbon wheels on my bike, saved the stock wheels for road, and I have to say that the gravel experience on the carbon wheels has been sublime.
Old 04-28-21, 09:41 AM
Bomb Komodo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So I was finally able to get on both bikes side by side. Carbon 105 vs. Advanced 2. Ride’s were like night and day. Geometry was close enough, but generally the more upright position of the Giant was better for me. The Giant felt much much quicker. Ride quality was nice on each, certainly softer on the back with the Topstone given the kingpin suspension. I liked it a lot, but the bike felt a bit out of whack given the front hit fairly hard and back was soft. In terms of handling, the revolt felt better there as well. Not sure if it was just a tune up thing, but the revolt braked better as well...should be same components though.

At the end of the day, I pulled the trigger on the Giant and actually decided to buy the Advanced 0. I thought for the extra 1k, there was a ton of value. Upgrades to carbon wheels that retail for 1500 by themselves, ultegra vs. 105 and carbon crank.

I was also planning to get a second set of wheels with the Topstone for road use, so if I defer that and just swap tires occasionally, my spend is actually close to the same. Also can now use these nicer wheels for a future road wheel and get cheaper aluminum wheels for gravel use.

Congrats - Giants are amazing and ride better than they cost, in my experience. I was looking at the same bike but with the massive shortage everywhere I was unable to find one to try out. Went with a Salsa warbird which I am quite happy with, but the Giant was on my very short list as my roadie is a TCR Advanced Disc and I love it.

IME, the main upgrades are usually the seat and wheels. I upgraded to carbon wheels and it was an incredible difference. Turned the TCR into a speed demon and lightened it for climbing. I think you are on the right path there.
Old 04-28-21, 07:05 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I agree that the Giant is probably a better choice.