Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need a bike but burned by private sellers AND LBSs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need a bike but burned by private sellers AND LBSs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 11:36 PM
MrPeabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
This.
It sucks he had a bad experience but he created an account and posted on a bike forum just to bash his LBS.
Ofc he is going to get critiqued and as well he should.
Choose any retail industry in the world and you can debate all day long the pros and cons.
Was OP naive enough to believe that LBS were magically exempt from the vagaries of retail and business in general?
If I go out to eat 4x one month and get a few over cooked steaks should I go to a food forum and ask if every restaurant in the country regularly over cooks steaks?
Thank you for totally misreading my post.

To continue your analogy, if you read my post, I wasn't asking if "every restaurant in the country regularly over cooks steaks." I was asking what to do when the steak houses NEAR ME over cooks them and there are none to be found elsewhere. I invite you to read my post directly above yours.

You can be happy with crappy service or less than knowledgeable sales people if you want. As you say LBS aren't "magically exempt" from other businesses. I sought them out FIRST, not a BBS. And I'm happy to go to a different one if I can find one. But I came here looking for advice and options, not sympathy.
Likes For MrPeabody:
Old 06-27-20, 11:49 PM
sledgefisher

Bikes: 1968 - Peugeot PR10 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1987 / 1987 Gitane Super Corsa Reynolds 531, 1969 Moulton Super, 2020 Kona Dew Deluxe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
This.
It sucks he had a bad experience but he created an account and posted on a bike forum just to bash his LBS.
Ofc he is going to get critiqued and as well he should.
Choose any retail industry in the world and you can debate all day long the pros and cons.
Was OP naive enough to believe that LBS were magically exempt from the vagaries of retail and business in general?
If I go out to eat 4x one month and get a few over cooked steaks should I go to a food forum and ask if every restaurant in the country regularly over cooks steaks?
If the OP had wanted to bash his LBS do you think that he would have neglected to mention the company names?
As I see it he went to a forum to try and get some advice on his options from people that should have been able to offer him help.
IMHO some of the members of this forum have posted RUDE messages to someone looking for help.
Likes For sledgefisher:
Old 06-28-20, 03:16 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by MrPeabody
Thank you for totally misreading my post.

To continue your analogy, if you read my post, I wasn't asking if "every restaurant in the country regularly over cooks steaks." I was asking what to do when the steak houses NEAR ME over cooks them and there are none to be found elsewhere. I invite you to read my post directly above yours.

You can be happy with crappy service or less than knowledgeable sales people if you want. As you say LBS aren't "magically exempt" from other businesses. I sought them out FIRST, not a BBS. And I'm happy to go to a different one if I can find one. But I came here looking for advice and options, not sympathy.
Nah.
You bashed 4 LBS.
Near or far it’s the same thing.
So you came here to do what again?
Ask if there was an LBS anywhere that wasn’t crappy? Seriously?
To continue your lack of understanding as it pertains to my analogy, if your local restaurants all overcooked steaks would you be naive enough to post on a forum asking total strangers if every restaurant in the country overcooks steaks?
Sure...
You quite obviously are not a fan of LBS.
Thats cool and you are not alone around here. Plenty of peeps don’t like LBS in general.
Most of them just come right out and say it though

Last edited by downhillmaster; 06-28-20 at 03:23 AM.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 06-28-20, 03:21 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by sledgefisher
If the OP had wanted to bash his LBS do you think that he would have neglected to mention the company names?
As I see it he went to a forum to try and get some advice on his options from people that should have been able to offer him help.
IMHO some of the members of this forum have posted RUDE messages to someone looking for help.
Yeahhh, no.
He was bashing LBS in general. No names needed.
If he was just looking for the advice you mentioned he could have simply posted something to the effect of ‘Does anyone know of a reputable LBS in the so and so area’
Any reason he never once mentioned his area if as you say, he was only looking for another shop?
Or did I miss that?
Zipp maybe looked at his profile to see that he lived in Mass? And then referenced a couple shops in Mass but still OP didn’t ask their names.
Easy detective work here.
Good stuff.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 06-28-20 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-28-20, 04:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Anyone else notice that this allegedly happened last year?
Old 06-28-20, 05:41 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Anyone else notice that this allegedly happened last year?
Yes, but he wraps up his first post by telling us he's about to begin the process again, looking for a new bike for himself, and is looking here for advice, alternatives or snarkiness.
Likes For BNSF:
Old 06-28-20, 08:31 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
The first two shops may not have been good at sizing for kids, or maybe just weren’t wild about kids, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t properly size for adults. Also, are you concerned that they’ll try to talk you into a poorly-sized bike? I understand that you don’t want to use them because you’re pissed with them - that’s just human - but you’re also spiting yourself in the process. You need a bike, and they have bikes - suck it up and first see if they can supply a properly-fitting bike. If it still grates, you don’t have to buy it
I was thinking the same thing.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-28-20, 04:02 PM
sledgefisher

Bikes: 1968 - Peugeot PR10 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1987 / 1987 Gitane Super Corsa Reynolds 531, 1969 Moulton Super, 2020 Kona Dew Deluxe

Yeahhh, no.
He was bashing LBS in general. No names needed.
If he was just looking for the advice you mentioned he could have simply posted something to the effect of ‘Does anyone know of a reputable LBS in the so and so area’
Any reason he never once mentioned his area if as you say, he was only looking for another shop?
Or did I miss that?
Zipp maybe looked at his profile to see that he lived in Mass? And then referenced a couple shops in Mass but still OP didn’t ask their names.
Easy detective work here.
Good stuff.
He wasn't after advice on LBS in his area. He was asking for advice in general, should he give LBS another go or should he stick to buying second-hand from fleebay CL FB et al. If this conversation had been with FRIENDS in the RW I'm guessing it would have been sorted quickly and politely. Unlike on this Friendly thread where some people have appointed themselves personal saviours of the LBS. People are far too defensive, if you want to save your LBS show support by buying at their establishments.
Perhaps instead of being defenders of the mighty LBS people should consider WELCOMING newbies to cycling with more compassion and understanding. Or you could continue being cliquey,defensive and snarky and hope that people see cyclists as kind thoughtful people by magic.

Last edited by sledgefisher; 06-28-20 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 04:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Seems OP had an opportunity to ease out of this but chose instead to double down. Will be interesting to see what he ends up with for a bike since he's alienated all his shops and apparently isn't able to evaluate a used bike. Maybe Bikes Direct or other mail order, though some assembly may be required.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-28-20, 05:06 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BNSF
Yes, but he wraps up his first post by telling us he's about to begin the process again, looking for a new bike for himself, and is looking here for advice, alternatives or snarkiness.
I recommend to you Malcomb Gladwell’s “Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking.”
Old 06-28-20, 06:35 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
60 and counting. This situation has to have been adequately analyzed by now.

Or are we shooting for 100?
Likes For Ilbiker:
Old 06-28-20, 07:06 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Ilbiker
60 and counting. This situation has to have been adequately analyzed by now.

Or are we shooting for 100?
Mission accomplished!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-29-20, 12:31 AM
downhillmaster

He wasn't after advice on LBS in his area. He was asking for advice in general, should he give LBS another go or should he stick to buying second-hand from fleebay CL FB et al. If this conversation had been with FRIENDS in the RW I'm guessing it would have been sorted quickly and politely. Unlike on this Friendly thread where some people have appointed themselves personal saviours of the LBS. People are far too defensive, if you want to save your LBS show support by buying at their establishments.
Perhaps instead of being defenders of the mighty LBS people should consider WELCOMING newbies to cycling with more compassion and understanding. Or you could continue being cliquey,defensive and snarky and hope that people see cyclists as kind thoughtful people by magic.
Odd how defensive you are being while accusing others of being so defensive...
Good stuff.
Do you really believe that anyone with the use of their frontal lobe judges any group of people by their posts on an Internet forum btw?
That’s priceless
Old 06-29-20, 09:40 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Tough crowd.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-29-20, 05:36 PM
sledgefisher

Odd how defensive you are being while accusing others of being so defensive...
Good stuff.
Do you really believe that anyone with the use of their frontal lobe judges any group of people by their posts on an Internet forum btw?
That’s priceless
Again something that would not be said in the RW. Oh how wonderful this forum is.
Old 06-29-20, 05:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Oh how wonderful this forum is.
Obviously most of us enjoy it in some fashion. If folks aren't happy, it's easier to leave than it is to sign up!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-29-20, 05:56 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Again something that would not be said in the RW. Oh how wonderful this forum is.
Yes these forums are fantastic when members aren't putting each other down or sniping at each other. If they want to do either they should do it by email or private message so the rest of us don't have to see it. There's a Newsgroup where this sort of behaviour is so common that its ruined that group for bicycling stuff. I'd hate to see that happen to these forums too.

'Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-29-20, 09:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I think we've exhausted this subject pretty well. Sorry this was the OP's introduction to the forum.
Closed