Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Is my Camelbak making me hot?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 06:14 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I’ve gone to a hydration pack recently and I love the single source and extra capacity of it. Most days it’s excellent and served me perfectly during the race the lake 2 years back.

Yesterday I was on a recreational ride and it was hot with high humidity. I made sure I was well hydrated and fueled. But I wonder if the backpack style isn’t reducing my body’s ability to cool by blocking airflow to my back.

Anyone else have this issue?

thank you
Old 07-01-20, 06:39 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
When it’s really hot and humid, I feel like I sweat more when wearing my hydration pack, and it that if does inhibit air flow a bit, but it’s worth it. I drink a lot more water when I’m wearing it than carrying bottles, and the mouthpiece doesn’t get coated in dust or mud like water bottles.
Old 07-01-20, 06:42 AM
jcg878

Bikes: make me happy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Well, I'm sure it's making your back hot, which is not a plus. It is a tradeoff.
Old 07-01-20, 06:48 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
I have an Osprey, and I think the design does a fairly good job of keeping my back cooler than one would expect with a backpack. I find it fairly uncomfortable though, trying to get used to it again.

One issue I have with it is that I drink too much plain water and that can cause problems with nausea.
Old 07-01-20, 06:58 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Probably a bit, but the tradeoff is that you're able to stay hydrated. For me, once it's hot, it's just hot, I'd rather have the water, and I like the convenience of the drinking tube when offroad.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 07-01-20, 07:23 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
When it was first introduced, it was a simple sleeve and bladder. The advertising claimed that it kept you cooler. I remember it actually did, if you filled it with ice. Now they are backpacks
Old 07-01-20, 04:02 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
When it was first introduced, it was a simple sleeve and bladder. The advertising claimed that it kept you cooler. I remember it actually did, if you filled it with ice. Now they are backpacks
They had the ice back model that had no insulation between the bladder and you. Haven't seen one of those since the early nor mid 90s.

I have a 3L bag, I use it in big rides. I actually haven't used it this year, even on some bigger rides. I should go find it and make sure it isn't molding.
Old 07-01-20, 04:08 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Sure I get hot with my Camelbak but I'm fine with that just as long as I have my water.
Old 07-03-20, 07:43 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
When it’s hot I pack ice in mine. Used to have a Camelbak mule and could feel the cold. Now I have an Osprey and it rides off my back so I don’t get the cooling. But then again the Osprey is cooler on rides.
Old 07-05-20, 10:56 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 49 Posts
I still use a 1st gen Camelbak Rogue, fill that sucker 1/3-1/2 way with ice and it keeps me (relatively) nice and cool for a couple of hours, even on misery index days of 150+ like today.
I don't love that I lose easy access to my jersey pockets, but it's a minor trade off
Old 07-06-20, 01:33 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Fill up the bladder and toss it in the freezer the night before, then ride around with a big block of ice strapped to your back?
Old 07-06-20, 02:46 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
You could always use a hydration fanny pack like the Osprey Seral.
Old 07-07-20, 07:01 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I thought this was more of a" "Do these pants make my ass look fat?" type question at first.

Sadly, the answer is yes. Your camelback IS making you hot. Thankfully you have a lot of water to cool you down. This subject has been debated over and over again in the MTB world. Some MTB frame designs make it almost impossible to mount a cage so these hydration packs are a must have.

I hate backpacks of any kind whether I'm riding a bike or not. I save the hydration pack for long rides rides where I can't refill my water bottles. I rarely use it at all anymore.
Old 07-07-20, 05:24 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I used to sport a Camelback hydration back but eventually Discovered it was more of a burden than a help. I’m 6’4” and already top heavy, so 3-4L of water on my back didn’t help that.

The pack/bladder effectively acted as a turtle shell that trapped heat on me. The water would typically get warm toward the end. My back would be sweating down my @ss crack!

Filling them was a PITA. As was keeping them clean. Bottles seem easy by comparison and I can sling them low on the bike frame. I like hydration mixes, which don’t do well in the bladders, gets slimy. Bottles are easy to clean.

I’ve seen some bikepackers mount bladders to the frame inside a frame bag or front bag. This idea intrigues me some for that type of riding.
Old 07-08-20, 04:01 AM
kar

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
I dont feel at any time that it is heating my back for rides longer than 3hours, upto temp: 35deg C in normal humidity.
Camelbak setup seems to works for me.

I have a 6 or 8 years old Rogue that is quite narrow in shape which is good. But by default, it came with a 2L or 2,5L hydration reservoir which I found to be quite bulky, uncomfortable and bothersome to my shoulders/chest even when half filled.

So I use 1L reservoir which keeps the narrowest shape on the back and there is extra space to keep spare tube, Pump etc.. I freeze 1L Water overnight and keep nut/Chocolate bars, phone, key, cash in the bag pockets. Bars are not melted as side effect due to ice cold water. I don't even feel that the bag is there. When camelbak shoulder straps feel just like bib suspenders on shoulder, that's when I know the setup is optimal.

I also keep one 700ML water bottle on bike with isotonic tablet which lasts for around 50-55km. Then I refill the bottle.

Last Sunday did 86km loop full road ride around a lake. 3:05Hrs, ~570meters elevation, average 28km/hour. And ready access to ice cold water and unmelted bars in camelbak was so convenient.

And it was a lot easier to setup than writing it down here
Old 07-09-20, 01:11 PM
Captain266

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Probably a bit, but the tradeoff is that you're able to stay hydrated. For me, once it's hot, it's just hot, I'd rather have the water, and I like the convenience of the drinking tube when offroad.
I’m with you, when it’s hot and I’m biking I need water. I started drinking electrolytes/mixes in my water and adding pink Himalayan sea salt and it really helps a lot!