Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Found product: French 22.0 threadless stem adapter

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 07:15 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts

While continuing my elusive hunt for a black French-diameter (22.0) quill stem with 100mm-120mm reach, I stumbled across this product on the auction website:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233467408083

Note: I have no affiliation to the seller ("hunkyshaw"), but as someone that's had to sand down shafts to make things fit in a French steer tube in the past, I can appreciate someone is making pre-machined adapters for folks, although I don't need or want to go threadless in my case. It looks like this seller is setup to manufacture, and I like it doesn't look horribly chronologically-off when installed...

Likes For francophile:
Old 02-18-20, 07:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
There you go. That could work!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-18-20, 07:20 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by noglider
There you go. That could work!
Except I'm not looking to go threadless and, in my case, I'm going black.
I have no less than half a dozen 22.0 quill stems in the shop, probably closer to a dozen. Just none in black.

Tonight I'm going to spend my evening reading up on how to anodize at home. Maybe I can just strip ano off one of my silver stems and re-ano it black. I seem to recall it's a really messy and/or dangerous process though, both due to electricity and chemicals/gasses for removing old ano.

Old 02-18-20, 07:20 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Yes! I've had their website bookmarked for future possibilities:
https://www.bandlbicycles.com/produc...dless-4978.htm

Have not ordered anything from them, so no experience to share.
Old 02-18-20, 07:24 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by BFisher
Yes! I've had their website bookmarked for future possibilities:
https://www.bandlbicycles.com/produc...dless-4978.htm

Have not ordered anything from them, so no experience to share.
Feeback on eBay is overwhelmingly positive. almost 2,000 sales and the only negative feedback I see on them going back a year is "intentionally sent wrong product, knowing I can't return it" which sounds like BS. Everything on eBay is returnable, even if not marked as such.

Old 02-18-20, 07:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Except I'm not looking to go threadless and, in my case, I'm going black.
I have no less than half a dozen 22.0 quill stems in the shop, probably closer to a dozen. Just none in black.

Tonight I'm going to spend my evening reading up on how to anodize at home. Maybe I can just strip ano off one of my silver stems and re-ano it black. I seem to recall it's a really messy and/or dangerous process though, both due to electricity and chemicals/gasses for removing old ano.
I betcha I have a 22.2 black stem of the right length I'm not using. I could even sand it down for you. Interested?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-18-20, 07:31 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by noglider
I betcha I have a 22.2 black stem of the right length I'm not using. I could even sand it down for you. Interested?
Nah. I've got a setup for easy sanding and don't mind doing the work. Really looking to find something the correct size versus hacking at the issue.

I may buck up and just use one of my silver stems. Just love the way this specific bike looks with a black stem.

Old 02-18-20, 09:43 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
... looking to find something the correct size versus hacking at the issue.
​​​​​​​I agree painting an entire stem is sort of a hack.
Old 02-19-20, 10:34 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Been there, done that (not for a stem but other parts) and it is not worth it. Find a local anodizing vendor. Drop by their shop and give them the specs of your stem. Hopefully you know which type of aluminum it is as this is critical to getting a good result. Ask them if they can do you a favor and include your part on the rack when they run black anodized parts (Type II, Class II). Chances are they'll be happy to do it for free and even happier if you hand them some cash or beer for their trouble. Be sure to provide it to them in the state you want it anodized. I suggest buffing it with Scotch Brite and then polishing to your desired smoothness.
Likes For joejack951:
Old 02-19-20, 11:55 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I bought one of those adapters from that seller a few years back. It's been accurately turned down, and is a high quality piece. At the time, I hadn't been riding for a while, and wanted to experiment with a more casual positioning on my PX10 build. It worked great for that. At some point it was always the plan to put a quill stem on, but I've not gotten around to it yet. It doesn't really stick out too much, if you're not looking for it. ( I guess that's arguable, )

I have no doubt finding a black French 22.0 stem is going to be difficult. By the time black stems were in fashion, French stems were very rare. If you are patient enough, one might eventually turn up. If you are on a shorter time schedule than that would entail, I agree with the others, get a stem, polish it up (sand down if necessary), and have it anodized or anodize yourself.

You've probably seen it, but check out Caswell plating.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 02-19-20, 12:16 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
Have had one of those B&L 22.0mm threadless adapters for several years.

Fit and finish are solid, no complaints...except that you're threadless!
Old 02-21-20, 02:25 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Thin anodizing is clear. As the coating gets thicker it becomes darker gray then brown as in the color of "hard anodized" rims. The dark anodizing can be as much as .005" thick.

Anodized surfaces are porous and in most cases the black color is a somewhat permanent dye that has been treated afterward with a hard sealant. Same thing with other anodized colors.

An anodizer may be willing to throw a stem or other part into a batch of items being dyed but they also may be reluctant because the part could contaminate their process and result in splotchy finishes.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg: