Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Frequent Rear Wheel Flats with Conti GP5000

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-08-20, 08:48 AM
greyfox47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2 year old Trek Domane SL6 disc brake bike. Prior to about a month ago, I was running Bontrager 25mm AT series tires and joyfully hadn't experienced a single flat since mounting the tires, about 2500 mi. I decided to switch to 28mm and chose the Conti GP500 tires. That was about 250 miles ago. Since then, I've had no issues with the front wheel, but am experiencing a slow leak flat on the rear tire almost every other ride!! After each flat, I carefully feel the inside of the tire and come across nothing, not even a little debry of any kind let alone a nail, piece of glass, goat head, nothing. I haven't used any tubes rated for less than 28mm in the wheel and am my wits end with what could be causing the flats. I'll admit that the Conti are a bit of a challenge to mount but I'm careful to avoid anything to the tube that would result in a pinch. I'm riding mainly on paved roads and on gravel only when I have to. Ditto for groomed trails. Any suggestions on how to pursue this? Nothing ruins a ride sooner than a flat anywhere along it. Thanks!!
Old 06-08-20, 09:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Are you aligning the tire logo with the valve stem? Some people think of the practice as a purely aesthetic thing, but it's really helpful for things like this - once you find the leak in the tube, you should be able to locate the offending debris in the tire by referencing the position relative to the tire logo/valve stem.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-08-20, 09:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
So are you finding the puncture in the tube?

Once I find the puncture in the tube then I know whether to look for issues with the rim, side wall or tread of tire. As I keep rim and tire oriented the same way, I can just lay the tube on top of them both and find the cause of the tube failure.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-08-20, 09:30 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Run a piece of cotton aground the inside of the tire looking for it to catch on something. Try it again with the tire inside out. A small piece of wire or glass and be hard to find. Listen to WhyFi.
Likes For popeye:
Old 06-08-20, 10:14 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
You don't mention if the punctures are on the inside, outside, or side of the tube...but make sure your rim tape/strip hasn't shifted exposing one of the spoke holes. This would be characteristic of punctures on the inside (spoke side) of the tube.
Old 06-08-20, 10:47 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Can you switch to tubeless?
Old 06-08-20, 10:47 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewJB
You don't mention if the punctures are on the inside, outside, or side of the tube...but make sure your rim tape/strip hasn't shifted exposing one of the spoke holes. This would be characteristic of punctures on the inside (spoke side) of the tube.
This. I was going to say to check the rim too.
Old 06-08-20, 03:07 PM
greyfox47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Can you switch to tubeless?
Well, I guess I could.... the wheels are tubeless ready, but not prefered. I think that would be my solution of last resort. Thanks, tho.
Old 06-08-20, 03:09 PM
greyfox47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes,.... ironically, the first puncture was opposite the valve stem, which I attributed to being a pinch flat after not being able to find anything else. It was the first ride after mounting the new tires.
Old 06-08-20, 03:20 PM
greyfox47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha! Yes, all of the above. First, outsde the tube opposite the valve stem. Looked like a pinch, I took blame for that one when I mounted the tires. The others were 2 in the side wall region (mysteries) and one outside. On the last one, found a tiny goat head that I removed with a finger nail. I'm not sure if it contributed. For the life of me, I had a hard time finding where it might have penetrated the tire tread. All the tube punctures except the first one looked like straight on punctures. The first one looked like a pinch.
Old 06-08-20, 04:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If you have any, put some sealant in the tube (assuming the valve stem unscrews).
Old 06-08-20, 04:59 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Sometimes squeezing the tire, thumb on one sidewall and fore/middle finger on the other will show tiny holes where a shard of glass has worked it's way through.

Good luck. That's a frustrating situation.
Old 06-08-20, 07:50 PM
jnesss

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I ran through some glass last weekend and have had nothing much troubles since. i had pulled out the glass embedded in my tire and ensured there was no debris between my tire and rim. since then, I've been alternating between 2 specialized presta turbo tubes and noticed they've got what appears to be a manufacturing flaw. there are rectangular seams on these tubes and the holes are almost always at these seams. anyhow, 6 patches later over the course of 1 week, straight to the garbage they go. bought some specialized presta valve tubes and so far, so good.

btw, I could only find the leaking holes when I Aired up the tube to around 10 psi, then rotated it in a bucket of water. my tire itself has been patched at the cuts
Likes For jnesss: