Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for low profile Garmin Edge or similar

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-06-20, 07:50 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Been using my android phone for years for Strava, but sometimes it loses signal or has irregularities in tracking. Also my stages PM signal cuts out from time to time, maybe because my body is between the crank and the phone in my back pocket.

So looking to get a Garmin head unit. I checked their range and noted most are pretty big and heavy for something going onto my handlebars. I do run aero handlebars and don't like to clutter them up if possible

Is there a smaller, lighter, ideally cheaper version that can talk to a HRM and PM and upload to Strava, with decent battery life?
Not married to Garmin if something else works better.

thanks!
Old 07-06-20, 08:50 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts

Well I think the 130 is small (comparing it to my 520 - not shown).
Old 07-06-20, 08:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
How aero is the person sitting behind it? For the size of what you are talking about this isn't near as much drag as almost anything else you could ask.

Now if you want to have a talk about what looks more pleasing to the eye then maybe there is something there.

Maybe I'm just taking it the wrong way. You just have to get used to another gizmo on your bars, aero or not and live with it.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-06-20 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-06-20, 09:06 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
Been using my android phone for years for Strava, but sometimes it loses signal or has irregularities in tracking. Also my stages PM signal cuts out from time to time, maybe because my body is between the crank and the phone in my back pocket.

So looking to get a Garmin head unit. I checked their range and noted most are pretty big and heavy for something going onto my handlebars. I do run aero handlebars and don't like to clutter them up if possible

Is there a smaller, lighter, ideally cheaper version that can talk to a HRM and PM and upload to Strava, with decent battery life?
Not married to Garmin if something else works better.

thanks!
if you dont want the clutter you can get a garmin watch. mine is hooked to a cadance sensor it can hook to a hrm and uploads to strava though you only get three fields unless you scroll. I also get grade % https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 07-06-20, 12:14 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
If aero is the priority, maybe worth looking into the Wahoo computers, which claim to have been designed with aerodynamics in mind (a 1.5 watt saving vs the competition, so says the website) and integrate shape-wise with the various mounts. Big and heavy are subjective, can't say I've ever thought of my Garmins (currently an Edge 820) as either and can't imagine noticing any performance difference with it being on the bike.
Old 07-06-20, 02:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3652 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Wahoo Bolt is supposedly aero. Easier to use than Garmin, IME.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-06-20, 03:17 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
see if you can find an older Garmin Edge 200. Mine still works great, and it's pretty tiny. It doesn't do anything fancy like navigate or show maps, or really a lot of stats, but it tracks your ride and speed. that's all i ever needed so...
Old 07-06-20, 04:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,050 Times in 3,806 Posts
Wahoo Bolt gets my vote. Really easy to use. Customizable screens.
Old 07-06-20, 05:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Rather than aero or weight, neither of which will matter at all, readability might be a good thing to look at. The quicker you can glance and see what you need to see, the better. Not hitting stuff is what's important.
Old 07-06-20, 07:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Wahoo Bolt gets my vote. Really easy to use. Customizable screens.
You need to mention that Garmin units have fully customized screens as well. I had a Bolt and returned it. It was easy enough to setup but I could not read the TBT screen while wearing sunglasses, which is white text on a black screen. Wahoo’s attitude was Too Bad. I got a 1030, love it. Much better unit IMO (and more money !).
Old 07-06-20, 07:46 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
if you dont want the clutter you can get a garmin watch. mine is hooked to a cadance sensor it can hook to a hrm and uploads to strava though you only get three fields unless you scroll. I also get grade % https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yup. Nice thing about a watch too is you won't spend your whole ride staring at it

Enjoy the ride
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 07-06-20, 09:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Yup. Nice thing about a watch too is you won't spend your whole ride staring at it

Enjoy the ride
great thought.