Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Candidate Wants Bikes Off The Road?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 05:28 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts

I wasn't sure whether to put this topic here or under Politics and Religion...

A co-worker of mine (who happens to be a Bush fan) told me that he read some article somewhere that Presidental hopeful John Kerry would like to get bicycles off the roads. He said the reason is because of all the bicycles ridden by students of Harvard and Boston University are clogging up the streets and getting in his way. Kerry is supposedly peturbed about it.

I don't know if he really means he would like more bike paths to keep cyclists safe and away from cars or what. Of course my friend wouldn't tell me that! He wants me to vote for Bush (or Nader).

Has anyone here heard about this?
Old 04-20-04, 05:33 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
That would be really odd for Kerry to propose that considering he himself is a cyclist and an avid one at that.

https://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=3655
Old 04-20-04, 05:40 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a rumor started by Karl Rove.
Old 04-20-04, 07:00 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smurfy

A co-worker of mine (who happens to be a Bush fan) told me that he read some article somewhere that Presidental hopeful John Kerry would like to get bicycles off the roads.
Smurfy,

I would get that co-worker to give you specific references so you can read Kerry's quotes for yourself. As has already been mentioned, Kerry is an avid cyclist. Sounds like b.s. to me.

Somebody's either putting you on or they are spreading false info they picked up in the garbage somewhere. Get the facts, set them straight.
Old 04-20-04, 07:19 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't believe it this administration are experts at misinformation Kerry is very much pro bike and is an avid cyclist.
Old 04-20-04, 07:31 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

A co-worker of mine (who happens to be a Bush fan) told me that he read some article somewhere that Presidental hopeful John Kerry would like to get bicycles off the roads. He said the reason is because of all the bicycles ridden by students of Harvard and Boston University are clogging up the streets and getting in his way. Kerry is supposedly peturbed about it.

I don't know if he really means he would like more bike paths to keep cyclists safe and away from cars or what. Of course my friend wouldn't tell me that! He wants me to vote for Bush (or Nader).

Kerry is a very avid cyclist, having ridden centuries, etc.
As usual the Bush misinformation cowboys shovel on the horsecrap!
Old 04-20-04, 09:05 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Sounds like scaremongering to me -- not uncommon for someone trying to push a political agenda, which is what it sounds like your friend is doing.

That is all.
Old 04-20-04, 09:29 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Despite what others are saying below, it's entirely possible that an avid cyclist who's ridden centuries would make a proposal like this to get elected. The article needs to be examined to see exactly what the candidate was saying. It might be that he was referring to specific areas, or he could have responded to a car driver's question, and his reply was misunderstood. Also remember that this is the U.S., where we have a tendency to advocate that "victims" need to change their behavior, instead of enforcing the laws to make the people screwing up change theirs.
Old 04-21-04, 12:06 AM
seely
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
With the way Kerry flip-flops on every issue, it wouldn't surprise me if he would ride a century one day and demand bikes be banned from existance the next...

Before I get flamed I don't really like GWB much better though.
Old 04-21-04, 03:51 AM
RacerX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seely
With the way Kerry flip-flops on every issue, it wouldn't surprise me if he would ride a century one day and demand bikes be banned from existance the next...

Before I get flamed I don't really like GWB much better though.
You like Bush enough to spew Republican propaganda. How about looking into the issues before you repeat right-wing rhetoric.

btw, a vote for Nader is a wasted vote. You can say vote for the candidate you believe in but this is a two horse race. You either vote for Kerry or Bush. Nader votes are a vote against Kerry since Bush would not get that vote anyway. By default, you voted Bush when you voted for Nader.
Old 04-21-04, 04:03 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Hey, everybody, thanks for the response.

I'm going to get that article from my co-worker today or at least ask him where he read it. At the time he was saying all this stuff I was real busy and I simply didn't have the time to argue with him!
Old 04-21-04, 05:16 AM
Marstenite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is called having your cake and eating it to!

https://www.detnews.com/2004/insiders...b01-129011.htm

Probably right-winged rhetoric to you left-wingers!
Old 04-21-04, 06:08 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I am not going to argue candidate's positions..Not my point.But about CAFE..Realistic pressure. Too quick a change in CAFE standards, the auto industry is screwed because they are either unwilling or don't want to minimize SUV sales which are more profitable...
Or if they don't convert..I say they are equally screwed. Who wants a SUV when gas is $3.? So an unresponsive auto industry means less market share and fewer auto jobs no matter how you cut it.
It is a disappointment that Detroit can't predict market inenvitaility, rather than let its' greed for big cars get in the way of how we all know future market trends will surely go.
Who can buck their lobbyists pressure when it comes to what seems to be job protection in a job wrenched state. No candidate can buck that kind of pressure and be a candidate. System does not allow such foolishness.
Old 04-21-04, 06:35 AM
robertsdvd
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boston's streets are certainly not clogged with bicycles, they're clogged with cars. I'm not just spouting some lame street crowd's chants... they really are... as are most cities' streets.
Old 04-21-04, 06:59 AM
seely
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerX
You like Bush enough to spew Republican propaganda. How about looking into the issues before you repeat right-wing rhetoric.

btw, a vote for Nader is a wasted vote. You can say vote for the candidate you believe in but this is a two horse race. You either vote for Kerry or Bush. Nader votes are a vote against Kerry since Bush would not get that vote anyway. By default, you voted Bush when you voted for Nader.
Actually its not right wing rhetoric, I HAVE looked up Kerry's voting record.

As for a vote for Nader is a waste, voting your conscience is never a waste, and the freedom to do so is what makes our political system as good as it is.
Old 04-21-04, 08:04 AM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually its not right wing rhetoric, I HAVE looked up Kerry's voting record.

As for a vote for Nader is a waste, voting your conscience is never a waste, and the freedom to do so is what makes our political system as good as it is.
Nice editorial, but I seemed to have missed the part where he said he wanted bikes off the road. Could you maybe help point it out or move it to its appropriate forum.

PS if you vote for a politician based on his or her flip flops who's your choice this time? Bush flip flops just getting out of bed in the morning
Old 04-21-04, 08:23 AM
shecky

Bikes: Rustbuckets, the lot of them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this co-worker could actually provide a article demonstrating Kerry's stance on bicylists, then maybe we could discuss it.
Old 04-21-04, 08:56 AM
Brillig
Bananaed

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City (only the frame remains)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flip flopping is better than being stupid all the time.

Any vote against GWB is a vote for returning functioning synapses to the Whitehouse.
If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination.
- Thomas De Quincey
Old 04-21-04, 09:04 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Getting pretty political here for advocacy..But then again, if the Prez. should want to get cyclists off the road- that certainly effects advocacy issues.
Old 04-21-04, 09:23 AM
Bobatin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice editorial, but I seemed to have missed the part where he said he wanted bikes off the road. Could you maybe help point it out or move it to its appropriate forum.

PS if you vote for a politician based on his or her flip flops who's your choice this time? Bush flip flops just getting out of bed in the morning

i do not see 'moderator' by his name so it does not look like he will be able to move this. Bush and JFKerry must sleep together or be the same person for all the flip flop claims against each.
Old 04-21-04, 09:56 AM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smurfy, I agree with others here. I think this co-worker is putting you on. Probably because he or she is a Bush fan, this person knows you are an avid cyclist. Plus he or she may even know Kerry is a avid cyclist too.
Old 04-21-04, 10:21 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's definitely a lie. Kerry is a very avid cyclist.
Bush can't even ride a precision engineered multiple sensor gyroscopically stabilized super computer controlled scooter.
I wouldn't say your coworker's trying to get to you, obviously s/he knows you're a cyclist and s/he's probably misinformed but thought s/he'd share some information with you in a conversation.
Old 04-21-04, 10:37 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like something a Clear Channel DJ would spew out.

This is clearly BS. Amazing how easily folks can get spun up about nothing. If you think about it, traffic rules are a state issue, not federal anyway.
Old 04-21-04, 12:48 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
No one in the U.S. can force bicyclists off the road, because to do so would be to violate our fundamental right to freedom of mobility. We have to be vigilant and proactive, but we can wrap ourselves in the American flag on this issue.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-21-04, 01:06 PM
SD Fixed
Traffic shark

Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Kerry is a very avid cyclist, having ridden centuries, etc.
As usual the Bush misinformation cowboys shovel on the horsecrap!
Where is it proven that Bush put out the info.. or are you shoveling horsecrap your self...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.