Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I now understand cycling rage

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 06:14 PM
tbonez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was out for my nightly ride and I notice a gray mustang pulling around me..He slows down and paces in my blind spot for about 50 foot. I think he is just being courteous and waiting for a good spot to go around me. He then steps on it, pulls in front of me and cuts me off. There is no way I can avoid him or even unclip. I jam on the brakes and hit the dirt. While I am wallowing around to unclip my pedals he rolls down the window and ask where the pool is. He doesnt ask how I am or if I need help he just asks where the pool is. I figure out he is a pizza delivery man and start walking towards his car to feed him the pizza. He takes off so I cant beat him to a pulp or get his license..

The M.Fer had been pacing me in my blind spot with his windows up (not saying a word) expecting that I would magically know that he needs directions...Instead of rolling down his window and asking for directions he just speeds up and cuts me off to make SURE he had my attention. This guy felt that directions were important enough to risk my life..Brand new bike now has two decent scratches on the frame and on the pedals and I now own a jacked up helmet. This idiot cost me a minimum of $100. Im surprised I dont read about more shootings from road raging cyclist..

Old 08-27-10, 06:16 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate to say it but you got played.

The whole point to staying alive on a bike and rubber side down is to never have a static blind spot.
Old 08-27-10, 06:18 PM
tbonez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Banzai
I hate to say it but you got played.

The whole point to staying alive on a bike and rubber side down is to never have a static blind spot.

I am new to road cycling how do I avoid this? Obviously I was stupid but I figured he was being nice waiting for a good spot to go around me...
Old 08-27-10, 06:29 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
What is a blind spot on a bicycle?

Sounds to me like the Mustang passed the cyclist - you said you noticed him pulling around you, then he hung back in your "blind spot"? How are you not noticing a car that is pulling around you? Was he behind you, or in front of you?

If he's behind you, and you think he's back there, you're supposed to keep track of what asshats like this are doing. That's why your neck swivels, and / or why Freds wear mirrors.

I am sorry about the accident, I just don't understand the concept of a blind spot when you are riding a bike on the road.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 08-27-10 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-27-10, 06:31 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the doc is full of ****. someone cuts you off like that not much you can do...how fast were you going? sounds like you could have avoided falling?
Old 08-27-10, 06:33 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
anything outside your peripherals would essentially be a blind spot. and it is impossible not to have one.
Old 08-27-10, 06:34 PM
tbonez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
What for chrissakes is a blind spot on a bicycle?

Since I came with a neck that swivels, I don't have blind spots.
He was on my back left corner...maybe blind spot isnt the right terminology. I turned around and spotted him coming up on me I just assumed that he was pacing me to find a good spot to go around. (like the other 50 cars on that same ride that did the same thing)....Am I supposed to assume every car that waits to find a good spot to pass me is going to gun it and cut me off? I fail to see how this is my problem as I was simply riding along minding my own business...
Old 08-27-10, 06:36 PM
tbonez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was cruising along maybe 15-18mph or so...Nothing fast but he cut me off really close. Maybe if I had a few more months/years in the saddle I might have been able to avoid it. With my current experience I had a split second to hit the brakes and then it was either hit the car or ditch. The thing that did tick me of is that I didnt even think about unclipping I just went down....
Old 08-27-10, 06:38 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Do you own a pistol?
Old 08-27-10, 06:40 PM
tbonez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Do you own a pistol?
I do and I regularly conceal carry in the car and on my person (Ruger LCP)....Im actually afraid to carry on the bike, however. Its this very type of instance that scares me. I probably would have done something stupid and ended up in jail tonight....
Old 08-27-10, 06:56 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling road rage is when a pack of cyclist charge after a red neck in a pickup that brushes them and yells out the window that they should get off the road. When they catch the A-Hole they pull him out of the truck and beat him to a pulp. Can't say I have ever seen it happen - but I have witnessed one incident where all but the very last part happened. Can't say I approved, I was part of the pack and choose not to make chase with the 1/2 dozen riders who did. I was expecting a gun but they were lucky and the driver ran a red light and pulled away from the then dismounted cyclists as they were going for the door on the truck. It could have gotten real ugly.
Old 08-27-10, 06:58 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tbonez
He was on my back left corner...maybe blind spot isnt the right terminology. I turned around and spotted him coming up on me I just assumed that he was pacing me to find a good spot to go around. (like the other 50 cars on that same ride that did the same thing)....Am I supposed to assume every car that waits to find a good spot to pass me is going to gun it and cut me off? I fail to see how this is my problem as I was simply riding along minding my own business...
Hi, thanks for clarifying. I didn't mean to jump on your use of the term blind spot. And of course I wasn't there so I don't know the traffic, the road, the lighting, the noise, etc. And it's great you are here to tell the story, and not lying in a ditch.

But - just to be devil's advocate here - the unfortunate truth is that you do have to be hyper aware of drivers who are attempting to pass you. Some are going to hang back and be super polite; so polite that they can't ever figure out how to get around you so a string of cars back up behind them. Others are going to be super aggressive about getting around you, and potentially come too close.

The point is that once you detected he was trying to get around you, you gotta be super tuned into what he is doing. Sometimes cars will get around you right in front of a corner -- they pass you, then cut right back into their lane so they don't get hit by oncoming traffic. It sounds like your Mustang dude was a special brand of jerk, but there are other jerks out there, too.

You gotta grow swivels in your neck and watch these guys.

You wrote:

"Am I supposed to assume every car that waits to find a good spot to pass me is going to gun it and cut me off?"

Answer: Yes

You wrote:

" I fail to see how this is my problem as I was simply riding along minding my own business..."

Answer: it's your problem because if he hits you, he has a bad day, but you're dead.
Old 08-27-10, 07:32 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
How loud wuz yer iPod?
Old 08-27-10, 08:44 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I figure out he is a pizza delivery man and start walking towards his car to feed him the pizza.
wut
Old 08-27-10, 08:56 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28607 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
The vehicle pulls in front of you and slams on its brakes, just to ask you directions?

OK
Old 08-27-10, 08:59 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
wut
He was going to **** the suspect using his "pizza", wutever that is. I don't know why he calls it that, maybe it's triangular and flappy.

By the way, anyone else amused by the OP's screen name?
Old 08-27-10, 09:00 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Has anyone actually fought in road shoes? I would imagine you'd be at a big disadvantage, kinda like a hockey fight or something. Just curious.
Old 08-27-10, 09:04 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
wut
He ordered a pizza and had it delivered during the ride. He got angry because they forgot the olives.
I might start doing this, save carrying water and food on the bike.
Old 08-27-10, 09:07 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28607 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
Maybe the OP is a high-profile celebrity or spy, and wanted to use the delivery guy as a taster to make sure that it wasn't poisoned.
Old 08-27-10, 09:08 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
He was going to **** the suspect using his "pizza", wutever that is. I don't know why he calls it that, maybe it's triangular and flappy.

By the way, anyone else amused by the OP's screen name?
Ooh you are sharp!
Old 08-27-10, 10:15 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by enjoi07
the doc is full of ****. someone cuts you off like that not much you can do...how fast were you going? sounds like you could have avoided falling?
Sorry, he let it happen. The guy was pacing him trying to get his attention somehow. I think it's wrong to tell him he couldn't do anything. People that think like that end up dead.

Defensive cycling is not a bad thing to practice. You are the one with a surplus of excrement.
Old 08-27-10, 10:22 PM
LDB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he was pizza delivery it shouldn't be too difficult to track him down. If he won't stand up for the expense of his stupidity then talk to the manager of the pizza joint. I'm sure they have insurance for things like this, or should anyway.
Old 08-27-10, 11:41 PM
Keep SA Lame
Retro Dork

Bikes: Cherry '81 Schwinn Le Tour, '07 Gary Fisher MTB and a bianchi road something or other

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't let people follow or tail me.

If I have to, I'll just stop in the street and yell at them.
Old 08-27-10, 11:50 PM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You always have to assume the driver is an idiot, regardless of whether your on the saddle or driving your own car, always take the person in the other car for a moron. Biking in the Los Angeles area you fear for your life while riding pretty much on a daily basis with all the craptastic drivers we have here. I've almost been sandwiched twice between a car making a right turn into a lot or side street and a parked car, people are completely oblivious to bikers sometimes.
Old 08-28-10, 12:08 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With my current experience I had a split second to hit the brakes and then it was either hit the car or ditch.
Hit the car, he pays (assuming he really did cut you off). Hit the ditch, you pay. Sounds like you made the wrong choice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.