Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's with the Weight Weenies?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's with the Weight Weenies?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 09:13 PM
TrekmanDan

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac/ 2011 Trek 1.2 / 2008 Trek 3700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is getting interesting...
Old 03-16-11, 09:17 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3601 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 1,948 Posts
Weight is easily quantifiable but rider power is not. Thus weight becomes a means by which you can readily compare yourself with other bicyclists, if that's important to you.
Old 03-16-11, 10:56 PM
Sanman023

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that it's OCD. My other hobby is home audio, even worse than shedding grams.
Old 03-16-11, 11:04 PM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a weight weenie but at 5'11 and 143 pounds i think i've lost all the weight i can for my height. Any less i'd look anorexic.
Old 03-16-11, 11:32 PM
Excelsius

Bikes: CAAD10 Rival

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by "Fred"
I think the OP is jealous as most people who complain about WW are. Yes it does cost some money (a lot in some cases) but some people have that money.

I am 42 I own my own business and yes I ride a $12,000 11 pound bike. Does that make me wrong well that is a matter of opinion. I can afford it so what is the problem. As a matter of fact I can ride as well. I am 5' 10' 145 pounds I have done a sub 4 hour century and I love to ride. does a ww bike make me faster well maybe a very very little on the climbs but that is not why I do it. I do it because I enjoy it, so get over it and go ride your 20 lbs bike and be happy with it. Quit complaining about what others like and do what you like. If we were all the same than this would be one boring world.

Just my opinion!!
"Affording" is an entirely different conversation. Many people can own or finance luxury items. The question is whether that's wise. What the OP might have implied is the large number of people who buy expensive items as a means of ostentatious consumption. Surveys, such as those of T.J. Stanley, have shown that many people buying luxury items do so for the purpose of attempted social elevation and to their financial detriment. My own interaction with successful businessmen, professionals, and friends who have actually earned their wealth has shown that they do not waste their money on any luxury items either. That's one of the reasons why they are wealthy to begin with. This is why expensive toys say nothing about the success of the owner. If anything, statistics point to the lack of success in many cases. But this is axiomatic, so this thread does not introduce any new information, maybe except for those who are not familiar with statistics of wealth and its accumulators.

Last edited by Excelsius; 03-16-11 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 12:28 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heavy bikes are not as much fun to ride.
Old 03-17-11, 12:40 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySmooth52
Remember when a bike that was less than 20 lbs was great? These days that's easy to get at $2k. Now less than 15 lbs is the new goal it seems, but you have to spend exponentially more to save more weight. Have you noticed these people could save money and more weight by loosing it from their body? From what I see on the road these weight weenies are ridiculous. Anyone else noticing this fad going to a new level?

P.S. Remember that with motor sports they mostly upgrade for engine power instead of weight savings. We can upgrade engine power by spending time on our bikes (and not money).
Just so the OP doesn't feel all alone in this thread - I understand what you're saying. But oftentimes, how you say something is equally important as what you say.

Twenty years ago I was content racing a 22lbs Trek. To try and break into the teens would have been absurd. Now the new "20" is sub 15. Welcome to technology and progress. And as in all leading edge technologies - early adopters, in this case the sub 12 lbs bike - will pay a high price. But it's their choice as nobody is forcing them. would I do it? No. As I'm not typically an early adopter. I didn't buy blu ray players when they first came out.
Old 03-17-11, 01:19 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Just so the OP doesn't feel all alone in this thread - I understand what you're saying. But oftentimes, how you say something is equally important as what you say.

Twenty years ago I was content racing a 22lbs Trek. To try and break into the teens would have been absurd. Now the new "20" is sub 15. Welcome to technology and progress. And as in all leading edge technologies - early adopters, in this case the sub 12 lbs bike - will pay a high price. But it's their choice as nobody is forcing them. would I do it? No. As I'm not typically an early adopter. I didn't buy blu ray players when they first came out.
I still don't have a Blue Ray, or a flat screen tv for that matter.. but I do have a 16 pound bike.

OP, spend your money on what you like, I'll spend mine on what I like.
Old 03-17-11, 03:00 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekmanDan
This is getting interesting
Incorrect.
Old 03-17-11, 03:05 AM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its my money. Ill do what I want. Dont be jealous that My bike is lighter than yours!
Old 03-17-11, 03:48 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you noticed these people could save money and more weight by loosing it from their body?
Nobody has ever noticed this, or pointed it out before.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-11, 05:40 AM
tbonez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to admit I scratch my head when I see someone that is 30 or 40 pounds overweight obsessing and paying double for a bike part that weighs a few grams more than another....Its their money I guess.
Old 03-17-11, 06:55 AM
mmoneow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I said MOSTLY upgrade engine power. I know they try to cut weight as well, but the engine power is a priority. That is the point I'm trying to make. Power is priority, not weight.
It is actually the Power to Weight ratio that a cyclist trys to improve. Obviously the less weight you have at a given power level means that you will be faster, at least climbing. A 300lb powerlifter will have more power in his legs than 4-5 cyclists combined, however, he isnt going to last long going up a mountain on a bicycle.

Cutting weight on both you body and bike is a great way to climb better. Some people have money for fancy lightweight bike parts, others dont. Dont be a hater.
Old 03-17-11, 07:20 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 5,080 Times in 1,800 Posts
I said MOSTLY upgrade engine power. I know they try to cut weight as well, but the engine power is a priority. That is the point I'm trying to make. Power is priority, not weight.
Hmmm, ever heard the term "power to weight"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterham_Seven

Just one of many examples.
Old 03-17-11, 07:31 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Yeah...it's a new thing....

Old 03-17-11, 07:32 AM
hodie21
Sucking Wheel at the back

Bikes: Lynskey Helix Sport, Lynskey M290, Cervelo S3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go back and forth between weight weenie and not caring. My Cervelo weighs right about 16.3 lbs with alloy seatpost,stem,handlebar and a heavy set of Mavic Ksyrium Equipes. This is the weight with bottle cages, pedals, Garmin 705, cadence/speed sensor. Think of all the crap you stuff in your jersey pockets while riding. Tubes, CO2, Gel packets, Tire levers, cell phone, etc....

I love seeing these light bikes but I'm not going to try to build one right now. Maybe if I raced I would care a little more. Don't all UCI legal bike have to weigh at least 14.9 lbs?
Old 03-17-11, 07:38 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by hodie21
I go back and forth between weight weenie and not caring. My Cervelo weighs right about 16.3 lbs with alloy seatpost,stem,handlebar and a heavy set of Mavic Ksyrium Equipes. This is the weight with bottle cages, pedals, Garmin 705, cadence/speed sensor. Think of all the crap you stuff in your jersey pockets while riding. Tubes, CO2, Gel packets, Tire levers, cell phone, etc....

I love seeing these light bikes but I'm not going to try to build one right now.
Maybe if I raced I would care a little more. Don't all UCI legal bike have to weigh at least 14.9 lbs?
Actually you would probably care less.

hodie - you know where I am coming from on this one, but even though I sell bling I find myself saying this quite often, " I NEVER lost a race because I had too many spokes or because my bike was too heavy. I have lost EVERY race I have entered because either I was in worse shape, read the race incorrectly, or desired the win just that much less than the person who won. Period."

While racing you get to the point where you just want to make sure you have something that rides and performs well and won't break on you or cause issues or problems at the last minute - when you're trying to focus on the task at hand.

Old 03-17-11, 07:40 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Incorrect.
Another late night of drawings for pcad.

It's an obsessive sport, much like other gear oriented sports. For many, it's the gradual and natural progression.
Old 03-17-11, 07:48 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need we discuss golf?
Old 03-17-11, 07:52 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
If I don't spend my time, energy and money on lightening the weight of my bike, what am I supposed to do? Solve world hunger?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-17-11, 07:55 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink
Need we discuss golf?
A buddy of mine has spent a bajillion dollars on clubs. After the latest custom set, he was done.

So he bought a Di2 Wilier.
Old 03-17-11, 07:57 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Actually you would probably care less.

hodie - you know where I am coming from on this one, but even though I sell bling I find myself saying this quite often, " I NEVER lost a race because I had too many spokes or because my bike was too heavy. I have lost EVERY race I have entered because either I was in worse shape, read the race incorrectly, or desired the win just that much less than the person who won. Period."

While racing you get to the point where you just want to make sure you have something that rides and performs well and won't break on you or cause issues or problems at the last minute - when you're trying to focus on the task at hand.
Absolutely. My bike is heavy. Really heavy (a little over 20lbs). I'm pretty light (130) and I like long, hilly road races. I have yet to lose a race because my bike is too heavy. I continue to lose races because I lack fitness and race smarts.

Some day I might get good enough that the extra few pounds on my bike will make a difference. At that point, I'll get a lighter bike. If I had the money I'd get one now, but I already spend a ton on race fees, travel, coaching, fixing all the crap I am constantly breaking, etc. For now I just want stuff that works so that I can train a lot and get stronger.
Old 03-17-11, 08:00 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
It's an obsessive sport, much like other gear oriented sports. For many, it's the gradual and natural progression.
You can go beyond 'sport' and just leave it with the wider reaching 'hobby' - people that like to cook like nice gear, as do photographers, audiophiles (ick - hate the term), RC folks, etc, etc. I tend to think that a lot, but not most (IME), do get in to a gearhead phase, but it'll eventually ease off. Some lucky people will reach a point where they're satisfied with what they have and others will crest a personal summit and decide that the view wasn't what they'd hoped - these disillusioned are the worst. Because they didn't get the results that they wanted, they often feel the need to rail against the proponents of quality gear.
Old 03-17-11, 08:10 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by hodie21
I love seeing these light bikes but I'm not going to try to build one right now. Maybe if I raced I would care a little more. Don't all UCI legal bike have to weigh at least 14.9 lbs?
+1. And when I bought my Wilier, that was my target weight - to be just above the legal limit. But thats just me.....I wouldn't buy non-legal golf clubs either.
Old 03-17-11, 08:19 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with the term, audiophile?

Originally Posted by sbxx1985
A buddy of mine has spent a bajillion dollars on clubs. After the latest custom set, he was done.

So he bought a Di2 Wilier.
Exactly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.