Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Lanes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Lanes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 08:30 AM
tbonez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Lanes

I have been driving around my local area looking for bike lines. The DOT has cut 1 inch wide and two inch deep gaps every 5 to 10 foot into the pavement in an effort to alert drivers to the fact that they are going off the road..These gaps go all the way through the bike line to the edge of the pavement. In addition the bike lanes are littered with glass, rock and road debris. Is this typical for bike lanes and if so why waste their time building them? The bike lanes are useless unless you are riding a mountain bike and dont mind having your brains rattled out...
Old 04-01-11, 08:35 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tbonez
I have been driving around my local area looking for bike lines. The DOT has cut 1 inch wide and two inch deep gaps every 5 to 10 foot into the pavement in an effort to alert drivers to the fact that they are going off the road..These gaps go all the way through the bike line to the edge of the pavement. In addition the bike lanes are littered with glass, rock and road debris. Is this typical for bike lanes and if so why waste their time building them? The bike lanes are useless unless you are riding a mountain bike and dont mind having your brains rattled out...
A group needs to contact who ever is responsible for maintaining the bike lanes. They will react to pressure and eventually fix them. The cities where I ride have great bike lanes but I have riden in cities that have bike lanes full of broken glass, cracks and pot holes. I won't ride them.
Old 04-01-11, 08:40 AM
tbonez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good advice...Im wondering who to contact, maybe DOT?
Old 04-01-11, 08:42 AM
Hot Potato

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoulders and bike lanes seem to be trash dumps in my area . While I haven't seen it yet, I am sure there is a "throw empty bottles here" sign for them. The right tire track of the lane stays clean at least.
Old 04-01-11, 08:46 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I'm going to guess that you are not describing a "bike lane," you're describing a "shoulder."

A bike lane will typically be marked, either with a painted symbol on the ground of a bicycle or signs.

Google Maps also will display recommended bicycle routes and lanes. On the right side, there's a drop-down for map types (e.g. "terrain" "traffic") and one option is "Bicycling." It's not comprehensive but it is a start.
Old 04-01-11, 08:52 AM
tbonez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
I'm going to guess that you are not describing a "bike lane," you're describing a "shoulder."

A bike lane will typically be marked, either with a painted symbol on the ground of a bicycle or signs.

Google Maps also will display recommended bicycle routes and lanes. On the right side, there's a drop-down for map types (e.g. "terrain" "traffic") and one option is "Bicycling." It's not comprehensive but it is a start.

No its a bike lane with painted symbols...I dont know what they were thinking by gaping the asphault up.
Old 04-01-11, 09:04 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I dont know what they were thinking...
They weren't. It's a government agency.

As for who to contact, it would help to find out if it's a city maintained road, county maintained road, or state maintained highway. Otherwise, just write to all entities you think might be responsible for it. Make sure to mentioned the potential for injury, as that is a good reason to put a rush on this fix.
Old 04-01-11, 09:35 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I suspect that it would either be the county or the city. I would start with the county and call the general information number and the receptionist can probably direct you to the right people.
Old 04-01-11, 09:46 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-01-11, 10:33 AM
GRedner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't get any traction there, try local media. I'm sure your local "action news" or weekly paper would be happy to blare about "DOT BIKE LANE POLICY ENDANGERS ALL - DETAILS AT 11" and get some attention.
Old 04-01-11, 11:03 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I have been driving around my local area looking for bike lines. The DOT has cut 1 inch wide and two inch deep gaps every 5 to 10 foot into the pavement in an effort to alert drivers to the fact that they are going off the road..
Just curious, where do you live?
Old 04-01-11, 02:40 PM
tpelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding around Moreno Valley, CA (just east of Riverside). There are lots of bike lanes, but they do seem to be littered with small chips of broken glass. I think this is just the nature of things, as motor vehicle traffic tends to scrub the MV lanes and all of the debris ends up on the shoulder or in the bike lane.

So far, no flats (knock on wood).
Old 04-01-11, 05:14 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that a nice bike path or a road with no shoulder at all? Looks to be a truck coming from the other direction.

Originally Posted by coasting
Old 04-01-11, 06:17 PM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks like a tractor.

We have a nice Greenway here specifically the Midtown Greenway, granted I live nowhere near it but it's very similar to that road posted. Anyways, here in MN we do a pretty good job on keeping the shoulders clean and my city and most of the surrounding suburban cities have bike lanes and signs for the paths. Granted I still ride on the street since most motorist always pull too far out to stop, and too many hotties with headphones jogging (+1 to rear view mirrors ).

You might want to see who your local bike group is or check your local forum about this to see what is being done, ours (MORC) does a pretty good job of being involved and posts plenty of volunteer events all year.