Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you say something? (bike path racers)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-14-18, 06:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts

This falls under "once you see it in the mirror".

I now feel like an ass. Once or twice one of the guys in the group took me out to the local rails to trails to paceline about 20ish miles or something. Not a recovery cruise. He was hunting for segments and I gladly obliged.

Now that I see a different guy from the B group posting stuff up doing the same, I feel guilty about doing it.

I know for sure the two guys had to cut a lot of blind corners at speed to do what they did. Now I feel stupid for doing that same thing.

If they show up to the group ride, would you ever kindly say something like "looking nice, but you guys might want to be a little safer and come join the A-group instead of racing the trails and apartment complexes".

This is a group of two to four guys who like to bash around town on greenways and do hot laps of apartment complexes running about 50 stop signs per ride.

I think the "a-ha" for myself was encountering the unexpected around some blind corners a few times but managing to not cause a problem. Then realizing I was being foolish.

What do you think? Those guys as a whole have a mildly unhealthy outlook on the whole thing. It's basically the "street racer" syndrome applied to bicycles. And not a one of them would probably ever take up actual racing.
Old 08-14-18, 07:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
of course you can say something. imagine if a kid or elderly person like your grandmother was struck & injured or worse & you said nothing or did nothing

I would not ride with them & I would tell them why
Old 08-14-18, 07:07 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Interesting question given that in the UK news within the last couple of days there's been discussion about passing a new law - "death by dangerous cycling" .... like to see what other people's opinions are.
Old 08-14-18, 07:12 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Agreed. It could lead to something bad.

Maybe in addition to saying something, I should propose that we offer a safe environment for beginners to try out a "hammer ride". There are such things for stronger riders, maybe it's a gap that could be filled.
Old 08-14-18, 07:21 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Start flagging all the segements as dangerous. If they aren't getting a Strava reward, they'll likely move on.
Old 08-14-18, 07:36 AM
jasnooks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
of course you can say something. imagine if a kid or elderly person like your grandmother was struck & injured or worse & you said nothing or did nothing

I would not ride with them & I would tell them why
X2 on this.
Although I doubt saying something will change the way they ride, but at least your conscience is clear.
Old 08-14-18, 07:37 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Start flagging all the segements as dangerous. If they aren't getting a Strava reward, they'll likely move on.
I used to think that this was BS, but now I totally get it. If a segment exists on a bike path, the leaderboard will escalate attempts until it gets silly.

What keyed me off was they posted a ride up bragging about pacelining a local rails-trail at 24mph to go grab a 5 mile segment. This area has lots of good vis straights, but also a lot of tight and blind corners. And lots of foot traffic in summer.
Old 08-14-18, 08:03 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
of course you can say something. imagine if a kid or elderly person like your grandmother was struck & injured or worse & you said nothing or did nothing.
These CAT 7 racers would probably look at you as if you were a kid or someone's grandmother if you told them to slow down.
Old 08-14-18, 08:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's a hot-button for me, people who take the blind corners fast on a MUP in the wrong lane, passing little groups sometimes with small children in them. Partly because one of them panicked one time, target fixation, and ran into me leaving me with a 6 inch scar on my arm.

I don't have angry discussions with them when I see it, but when it's close and particularly bone-headed I tend to let them know on the way by.

7 or 8 years ago, like you @burnthesheep I did like to go pretty fast on our Greenway, but it was in off-hours when hardly anyone was about and when I did see pedestrians or cyclists I'd just slow down and abandon any idea of a fast segment. When it got more popular, and the behavior got worse, I got embarrassed seeing my name on Strava and flagged my faster rides, and stay off the leader boards now. The last thing I need is for people to think I'm one of those guys.
Old 08-14-18, 08:35 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Downside of being an adult.
Old 08-14-18, 08:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
These CAT 7 racers would probably look at you as if you were a kid or someone's grandmother if you told them to slow down.
& cops often say: "there's nothing we can do" that doesn't mean we shouldn't report an incident
Old 08-14-18, 09:02 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
running about 50 stop signs per ride.
Call the police, that's all.

They are not going to listen to a fellow cyclists and will just tell you to mind your business.

If they are really running 50 stops signs per ride and you feel strong enough about it then just report it and they will listen to the police. This avoids an argument, stops the problem and your conscience will be clean.

Enforcing traffic laws is part of what we pay taxes for and what the police get paid to do.

-Tim-
Old 08-14-18, 09:26 AM
zoolzoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you really give a ****?
Old 08-14-18, 09:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I will go very fast on a path, but only on straight passages where I can see a quarter mile or so ahead of me, which gives me plenty of time to make my presence known and/or slow down. I slow down a lot and then accelerate very quickly after passing on a straightaway. It's great exercise for the legs.

If I see kids or a dog, I slow way down whether or not I've had a chance to warn. It only takes one time of not giving yourself enough time to react if the kid or dog does something you couldn't have anticipated, and no parent or dog owner can absolutely prevent that from happening.

I save myself from my worst competitive instincts by avoiding Strava.
Old 08-14-18, 10:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
If you talk to the riders, tell them you've decided not to ride that way because it is unsafe and irresponsible and you don't want to hurt one of their grandmothers out on her walker ..... point it too directly at them and (competitive people being what they are) they will insult you and do it with greater glee.

Not sure about flagging segments only because i had never heard of it, but if it makes KOMs worthless, do it.

Police is a last recourse .... because without a resident complaint the cops might not do anything, depends on a lot of things ... but decide First---if you are planning to call the cops, for sure don't say anything to the riders, and vice versa.
Old 08-14-18, 10:04 AM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Most MUPs have 15mph seed limits. Thus, this group is actually breaking the law. When cyclists break laws, it looks bad on all of us.
Old 08-14-18, 10:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Why not ask them if they want to join you to hunt some road segments? Thats a natural transition into why you want to go for road segments and you can explain why you are uncomfortable with doing trail segment hunting. They can then decide whether they want to continue riding that way.

Nonconfrontational and you offer an alternative.
Old 08-14-18, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by chicagogal
Most MUPs have 15mph seed limits. Thus, this group is actually breaking the law. When cyclists break laws, it looks bad on all of us.
That must be a regional thing. I saw a posted limit of 25 mph on one around here, bot otherwise I don't beleve any of them I've been on have speed limits.
Old 08-14-18, 10:30 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
If a user of a MUP and I find that some folks are really abusing it and putting others at risk, I'd certainly say something.

And if it came to such folks frequently doing so on that route, such as frequently disregarding traffic controls and/or whizzing by people unsafely, I'd probably mention it to local LE so they could be aware and begin enforcing the laws/regs there.

Now, if it were a bike-only type route, that'd be something completely different. But, still, since everyone else has every right to also use the path reasonably, and to be free from deliberately-induced unsafe conditions, it'd be much like the MUP example.

Do I really care? Insofar as serious threat of injuries exist in such mixed-use situations where one party is grossly abusing things to the point of recklessness/wantonness? Yup, at that level of risk.

But, that's me.
Old 08-14-18, 10:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
If a user of a MUP and I find that some folks are really abusing it and putting others at risk, I'd certainly say something.

And if it came to such folks frequently doing so on that route, such as frequently disregarding traffic controls and/or whizzing by people unsafely, I'd probably mention it to local LE so they could be aware and begin enforcing the laws/regs there.

Now, if it were a bike-only type route, that'd be something completely different. But, still, since everyone else has every right to also use the path reasonably, and to be free from deliberately-induced unsafe conditions, it'd be much like the MUP example.

Do I really care? Insofar as serious threat of injuries exist in such mixed-use situations where one party is grossly abusing things to the point of recklessness/wantonness? Yup, at that level of risk.

But, that's me.

I have definitely yelled at strangers for riding like that on MUPs, especially after they've had close calls with kids they seemed utterly oblivious to.
Old 08-14-18, 10:41 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I have definitely yelled at strangers for riding like that on MUPs, especially after they've had close calls with kids they seemed utterly oblivious to.
^ That's my big fear on true multi-use, multi-mode pathways. It's the kids, typically, who jet off in an unanticipated direction, seemingly at random, but invariably whenever suddenly scared from an approaching person on bike/board. (Some adults do this, too.)

If the kids are put at risk, I also have howled warnings to such groups and asked the overtaking (speeding) folks to have more caution since everyone else is attempting to safely enjoy use of the path as well. Wish it weren't necessary, but sometimes it certainly is.
Old 08-14-18, 10:42 AM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That must be a regional thing. I saw a posted limit of 25 mph on one around here, bot otherwise I don't beleve any of them I've been on have speed limits.
Perhaps. I have lived in several states in the east, west, south, and midwest, and have only known 15mph for MUPs.
Old 08-14-18, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by chicagogal
Perhaps. I have lived in several states in the east, west, south, and midwest, and have only known 15mph for MUPs.

I've recently ridden on many, many miles of paths in 4 New England states. I've never seen this anywhere. There could be local ordinances, but it's definitely not state law here, it's definitely not an ordinance in the city I live in, and there are no posted limits on any of the paths in the region that I'm aware of other than one in NH that posts 25 mph. Where have you seen speed limits in the east? Not interrogating or challenging you, I'm just curious.
Old 08-14-18, 11:28 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
I have a friend who rides a crowded MUP too fast, I've told him his riding style/speed scare me. He refuses to admit it is dangerous. I won't ride with him on that trail. Period.
Old 08-14-18, 11:30 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I agree with starting by just flagging the Strava segments. If it continues, more drastic steps may need to be taken.

Indeed. I recall 15MPH speed limits on the SART in SoCal as well as some of the MUPs in the Denver area. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong or it's changed since I've lived in those places.

La Crosse, WI has no speed limits on the MUP, and AFAIK no limits on the regional bike trails (which also function as snowmobile trails in winter). I also recall no speed limits on the very tiny sections of MUP in Mobile, AL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.