Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressure Question

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Tire Pressure Question

Old 09-09-19, 12:54 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
I would say yes. Roots and rocks will affect what you ultimately run on a given day but I'd say those pressures are more than do-able at your weight.
I'll have it to give it a try for Sunday, the course from my memory is more grassy than anything. Yesterday was rockier/rootier through the woods so I probably wouldn't have wanted to risk it too much.
Old 09-09-19, 01:00 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Thanks.

The RR thing makes sense versus cornering grip.

Definitely sounds too high though right now on pressure. And maybe too "fast" of a tire for not enough grip for a newer rider. I can ride the park above my house and give it a try. I know one thing, if I was bouncing during the race.....it had to have been 'wrong'.

I know tubeless is the future, but is there any merit on lower pressure and pinch flats and running latex? If I'm into this, I'll probably go tubeless or tubulars. I know how to glue from my TT tire stuff. A latex tube is cheaper/faster to try than selling and buying wheels to go tubeless or tubular.
Gluing cyclocross tubulars is a bit different than the road, i use this method with the belgium tape
Old 09-09-19, 03:19 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I've been doing 30ish/f 35ish/r with tubes, mostly ok (had a couple of flats last year but otherwise have hit some rocks/roots without repercussions) but I'm starting to feel like it's costing me some time. Wonder if I can get away with like 25-30/f and 30r at 160lbs. It really is a compromise between high pressure/not flatting and lower and risk having a good race ruined. Would love to try tubulars this season, might have to see if someone will lend me some
Is tubeless an option? Probably not, if you don't have the right wheels/tires. But it eliminates pinch flats. I would hate to get a pinch flat during a race - that would make me a little paranoid.