Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVI

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVI

Old 11-11-19, 03:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Boat winterized and hauled. Season over.
No Zwift for sailing?
Old 11-11-19, 04:27 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13643 Post(s)
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,471 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Mother of Dog it is snowing like a bastid out there.
I may need to run the snow blower tomorrow morning.
Old 11-11-19, 04:43 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No Zwift for sailing?
The closest thing is during the Volvo race, there’s a game where you can enter a virtual boat, do your own navigation, and see how you perform against the pros and your bros. That’s fun, but you have to get up in the middle of the night to make course changes and react to changing conditions, if you want do well.
Old 11-11-19, 06:00 PM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you to all the veterans and the families that supported them during their service.
Likes For Ramona_W:
Old 11-11-19, 06:02 PM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Musical question: Has anyone else listened to a group called Pursuit of Happiness?

Medical update: The GP sent me to a cardiologist. I was supposed to be there at 10:45am so about 10:30 I looked in my backpack to be sure the ID and medical card were together. They were together but not in the backpack. So, now I'm overheating anyway because I'm wearing jeans and my blood pressure is palpably going up. I tear apart two rooms and finally find the cards buttoned into the left chest pocket of a shirt I don't even remember wearing. Now, it's 10:50 and I go out to get in LoP's mom's car and I don't see it. I go back into the house to leave the keys, come out, walk into the actual driveway and there's the car. I drove like a bat out of hell to get there, missed the correct driveway, had to pull into a parking spot in front of a tile store then back out to drive around the parking lot, couldn't find the right building at first, and had to wait for the restroom. The whole time I was looking for the two cards, I kept thinking that maybe they didn't need them because it was all the same system and when I got to reception -before I was weighed and had to wait for the bathroom - the lady told me I was right that they didn't need them.

By the time the MA took my blood pressure, it was 161/92. I've never had it that high before and she was suitably impressed. The doctor came in and we talked a little and he announced I was an overachiever who had trouble letting things go and probably couldn't without years of therapy. He took my blood pressure again with roughly the same results as the first time except the bottom number was lower. He said I will likely not need blood pressure medication once I leave Arizona but for now I'm on 5mg of Amlodipine per day. (My mother was delighted when I texted her and told her because we now have something in common because she takes 10mg per day.)

The doctor referred me for fasting bloodwork so he can be disappointed by my cholesterol as everyone has been since 1990 although they usually applaud my HDL. I have an echocardiogram scheduled for the 25th of November.

As for bike riding, the doctor said the reason I was so exhausted is my blood pressure was already elevated and riding pushed it even higher. I haven't asked him yet when I can try riding again but I will probably not ride much until after the echo. I'm trying to take things a little easier like realizing a 94 on a PowerPoint assignment is okay and it doesn't have to be 100 every single time. I'm also going to urge LoP's family to have Thanksgiving dinner at a public place like Golden Corral where they're less likely to engage in drama, shouting, and slamming doors. If not, I can stay home. Mostly, I drink hard cider and watch football with one of the dogs anyway and I can do that just as well with our cat. Okay. Almost as well.
Old 11-11-19, 06:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12638 Post(s)
Liked 7,529 Times in 3,990 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I had no idea Weld was open today. Go figure. Those are the mutts that wanted to secede from Colorado, and become part of Nebraska.
Were they mad about the weed thing?
Old 11-11-19, 06:08 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11895 Post(s)
Liked 6,493 Times in 3,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramona_W
Thank you to all the veterans and the families that supported them during their service.
Quoted for truth.
Old 11-11-19, 06:21 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11322 Post(s)
Liked 4,636 Times in 2,702 Posts
Old 11-11-19, 06:23 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11322 Post(s)
Liked 4,636 Times in 2,702 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Were they mad about the weed thing?
I think they were mad about being folded back into the emission attainment area. Stuff like that.
Old 11-11-19, 06:34 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Might have to go to the cantina to see if the Seahawks can hand the Niners their first loss of the season.

#MNFisroughforcordcutters
Old 11-11-19, 07:06 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Musical question: Has anyone else listened to a group called Pursuit of Happiness?

Medical update: The GP sent me to a cardiologist. I was supposed to be there at 10:45am so about 10:30 I looked in my backpack to be sure the ID and medical card were together. They were together but not in the backpack. So, now I'm overheating anyway because I'm wearing jeans and my blood pressure is palpably going up. I tear apart two rooms and finally find the cards buttoned into the left chest pocket of a shirt I don't even remember wearing. Now, it's 10:50 and I go out to get in LoP's mom's car and I don't see it. I go back into the house to leave the keys, come out, walk into the actual driveway and there's the car. I drove like a bat out of hell to get there, missed the correct driveway, had to pull into a parking spot in front of a tile store then back out to drive around the parking lot, couldn't find the right building at first, and had to wait for the restroom. The whole time I was looking for the two cards, I kept thinking that maybe they didn't need them because it was all the same system and when I got to reception -before I was weighed and had to wait for the bathroom - the lady told me I was right that they didn't need them.

By the time the MA took my blood pressure, it was 161/92. I've never had it that high before and she was suitably impressed. The doctor came in and we talked a little and he announced I was an overachiever who had trouble letting things go and probably couldn't without years of therapy. He took my blood pressure again with roughly the same results as the first time except the bottom number was lower. He said I will likely not need blood pressure medication once I leave Arizona but for now I'm on 5mg of Amlodipine per day. (My mother was delighted when I texted her and told her because we now have something in common because she takes 10mg per day.)

The doctor referred me for fasting bloodwork so he can be disappointed by my cholesterol as everyone has been since 1990 although they usually applaud my HDL. I have an echocardiogram scheduled for the 25th of November.

As for bike riding, the doctor said the reason I was so exhausted is my blood pressure was already elevated and riding pushed it even higher. I haven't asked him yet when I can try riding again but I will probably not ride much until after the echo. I'm trying to take things a little easier like realizing a 94 on a PowerPoint assignment is okay and it doesn't have to be 100 every single time. I'm also going to urge LoP's family to have Thanksgiving dinner at a public place like Golden Corral where they're less likely to engage in drama, shouting, and slamming doors. If not, I can stay home. Mostly, I drink hard cider and watch football with one of the dogs anyway and I can do that just as well with our cat. Okay. Almost as well.
Kudos

Old 11-11-19, 10:48 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Might have to go to the cantina to see if the Seahawks can hand the Niners their first loss of the season.

#MNFisroughforcordcutters
Close for you guys
Old 11-11-19, 11:04 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Close for you guys
Hope it's not a tie....
Old 11-12-19, 05:45 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22514 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Hey Ramona,

I listened to TPOH. I bought their first CD back in the late 80’s. I probably only play it every couple of years now, but I do know them. Canadian power-pop band.
Old 11-12-19, 06:24 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Snotty out there and the truck needed to be driven anyway.
Old 11-12-19, 06:39 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Snotty out there and the truck needed to be driven anyway.
Yeah it's raining here too. It's supposed to stop and then temps plummet. Timing is key, I am hopeful that there will be enough time for roads to dry so that ice is not a problem for tomorrow's planned ride. I don't care that the temps tomorrow will be 24, I DO care if the roads are icy.
Old 11-12-19, 06:54 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
Yeah it's raining here too. It's supposed to stop and then temps plummet. Timing is key, I am hopeful that there will be enough time for roads to dry so that ice is not a problem for tomorrow's planned ride. I don't care that the temps tomorrow will be 24, I DO care if the roads are icy.
Front goes through mid-day and I'm sure all that breeze will mostly dry the roads before it freezes. Y'all enjoy freezing your appendages off tomorrow.

In other news, got one of these: https://www.scosche.com/rhythm24-wat...t-rate-monitor and will test it in the gym today or tomorrow with the goal of adding my weight workouts to my weekly cumulative training stress estimate. I was also developing dermatitis on my chest from the sweaty electrode strap I was using on the trainer.
Old 11-12-19, 07:06 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Front goes through mid-day and I'm sure all that breeze will mostly dry the roads before it freezes. Y'all enjoy freezing your appendages off tomorrow.

In other news, got one of these: https://www.scosche.com/rhythm24-wat...t-rate-monitor and will test it in the gym today or tomorrow with the goal of adding my weight workouts to my weekly cumulative training stress estimate. I was also developing dermatitis on my chest from the sweaty electrode strap I was using on the trainer.
We will have an arctic blast, I am sure.

I used to train with a HRM back in the day. I may even have the strap-based unit lying around in a drawer somewhere.

Now I just go by RPE which I know is not nearly as accurate. But it always works and the price is right.
Old 11-12-19, 07:15 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I used to train with a HRM back in the day. I may even have the strap-based unit lying around in a drawer somewhere.

Now I just go by RPE which I know is not nearly as accurate. But it always works and the price is right.
Aren't you worried your heart will asplode if you redline it?
Old 11-12-19, 07:40 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Aren't you worried your heart will asplode if you redline it?
Nah. I last used the gizmo maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I wanted to see my max HR so I could set appropriate zones. I got up to 192 or so which is pretty high for my age. I did get slight tunnel vision due to the tachycardia-induced hypotension, this is the point where your blood pressure drops because your heart does not have enough time to fill between beats...but I am not worried about any imminent asplosion.
Old 11-12-19, 08:05 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Nah. I last used the gizmo maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I wanted to see my max HR so I could set appropriate zones. I got up to 192 or so which is pretty high for my age. I did get slight tunnel vision due to the tachycardia-induced hypotension, this is the point where your blood pressure drops because your heart does not have enough time to fill between beats...but I am not worried about any imminent asplosion.
I've got imminent asplosion on the brain. I have so many more symptoms in the winter time. Like the left shoulder/collarbone inflammation. Certainly weather related, but once askeered, it's tougher to look away. I feel too much effort immediately, while riding, and back off, whether I need to or not. Such is old age.
And my diet as a ute left much to be desired. We ate like the farmers we came from, while living the small town white collar life.
Old 11-12-19, 08:09 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

And now a question for the metaphysicists.
While in the process of editing a post, is the original post still up, or not.
Shrodinger's cat
Old 11-12-19, 08:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18321 Post(s)
Liked 15,302 Times in 7,232 Posts
So I am waiting for the bus in the rain with a bunch of other people and I notice a young woman with pants that don't go down below her ankles, flimsy, flat shoes and no socks. WTH? It's supposed to snow later.
Old 11-12-19, 08:11 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by indyfabz
So I am waiting for the bus in the rain with a bunch of other people and I notice a young woman with pants that don't go down below her ankles, flimsy, flat shoes and no socks. WTH? It's supposed to snow later.
She prolly keeps her snowshoes at work.
Old 11-12-19, 08:15 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by indyfabz
On the same note, my lawyer ONLY uses public transportation.

#NoPretensions
Likes For seedsbelize:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.