Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New Rockhopper or Upgrade Last years Rockhopper?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-13-20, 09:54 AM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts

I thought I had it ALL figured out. I bought my bike in Sept last year and was just getting into MT biking. I realize I LOVE it for the exercise and have gotten very comfortable on the bike racking up hundreds of miles on it. I bought a Rockhopper Comp 1x and its a great entry level bike. Everything works well and no issues at all. I was planning on replacing it with probably the Rockhopper Expert 1x later this year. Compared to mine, this bike has a tapered head tube, air shock, tubeless ready rims, a Deore 10 speed drivetrain and a lighter frame.

I get an email ryesterday from Specialized introducing the NEW Rockhopper. Hmm...Well the price of the Rockhopper Expert went up by $150...ok what did they upgrade? New Frame with lower standover (is that a big deal?), No tapered head tube now, RockShox Judy SoloAir (old bike had a Suntour XCR) and the drivetrain is SRAM SX 1x12 (old is the Deore 1x10). I really liked the idea of a 1x12 drivetrain, it would help alot on steep climbs, but I looked into reviews of the SRAM SX components and there are alot of people that complain about the durability and that its cheap. My bike has a 1x9 MicroShift Advent and its rock solid and bulletproof. New Rockhopper still has 9mm QR, and its got a 9x135mm rear hub, like mine but the old Expert has 9x141mm rear hub..if that makes a difference.

I started thinking...the things I like about the new Rockhopper Expert. Fork, 1x12, Tubeless Ready.

I could put that fork on my bike. Looks like I can put the SRAM SX 1x12 on my bike. I can put the same wheels on my bike. Am I missing something? Did I just talk myself out of buying a new bike?

Also MicroShift has a new Advent X and its a 1x10 with a 48 gear vs my 1x9 with a 42. Not a 50 like the SRAM but close...cheaper, and its dead reliable...also lighter. Maybe upgrade the fork and the drivetrain (Microshift Advent X drivetrain is under $150) on my bike and keep riding another year...thoughts?
Old 05-13-20, 02:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Seems pretty consistent with other bikes at the same price. It's heading into trail bike territory from its former entry-level-XC placement. But it still doesn't have a dropper. Seeing 12 speed on a QR135 frame is pretty strange, makes me wonder if it's a typo. Same with the 100xQR axle on the fork.

Since you seem really happy with mountain biking and want to stick with it, maybe you could consider something nicer that has much better stuff all around and not just marginal improvements. Cartridge hubs, dropper, stouter hardware. You could even consider full suspension though that's a larger step in price.

But upgrading is not a goal in itself, you want to be fixing some problem you think you have. 11-42 has been enough for my riding, do you need the extra step lower? 9 speed chain is (in theory) stronger and (definitely) cheaper than 12 speed, and the big cassettes are heavy. You can use a conversion kit from Stan's and get tubeless, and when your original tires wear out is a good time to get started.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-13-20 at 03:03 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-13-20, 03:11 PM
jrhoneOC

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Seems pretty consistent with other bikes at the same price. It's heading into trail bike territory from its former entry-level-XC placement. But it still doesn't have a dropper. Seeing 12 speed on a QR135 frame is pretty strange, makes me wonder if it's a typo. Same with the 100xQR axle on the fork.

Since you seem really happy with mountain biking and want to stick with it, maybe you could consider something nicer that has much better stuff all around and not just marginal improvements. Cartridge hubs, dropper, stouter hardware. You could even consider full suspension though that's a larger step in price.

But upgrading is not a goal in itself, you want to be fixing some problem you think you have. It does not have to be a big change. 11-42 has been enough for my riding, do you need the extra step lower? 9 speed chain is (in theory) stronger and (definitely) cheaper than 12 speed, and the big cassettes are heavy. You can use a conversion kit from Stan's and get tubeless, and when your original tires wear out is a good time to get started.

Thanks Lefty...I put a Specialized Command Post Dropper on my current Rockhopper so if I got a new bike, I would swap it over. 11-42 is mostly good..there is one really section that gets me every time and maybe having that 50 will help me get up that without stopping...or stopping less. But if thats all I want is a big gear...that Microshift Advent X gets me a 48..I get a 1x10 and its cheaper and lighter than the 1x12 stuff.

The QR and 12 speed stuff is because the SRAM SX Eagle is designed to be a cheap way to get to 12 speeds. Its designed to work with the non boost stuff and the QR seems like a money save. I have read bad things about the debility and the reliability of the SRAM SX...although the Groupset is also on $2k hardtails. I'd be kinda pissed if I dropped $2k on a hardtail and had an unreliable and dodgy drivetrain. The good news is its compatible with all the Eagle stuff so when something fails you can replace it with GX stuff. Not like I need to do anything quick., but I am leaning towards upgrading my bike to the 1x10 and get the 48 gear and then riding it for a bit more.
Old 05-13-20, 03:12 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Go ride your bike and quit looking at catalogs. Upgrading is always a waste of money. I have been into these things for 25 years and nothing really changes except forced obsolescence of parts.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 05-13-20, 03:13 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I think cycling, like music, golf, and photography has a severe gear acquisition syndrome. We call it N+1, but extends to things like how much of a more awesome cyclist I would become (and cooler person generally) if I bought a set of ENVE wheels or purple brake levers from Paul’s components or whatever. The question to ask honestly is, “does my current equipment hold me back” in a way that better trading and technique won’t overcome and the answer is it’s always better to get out and ride more (or practice longer, work on your short game, and so on) than to buy a shiny new toy. Because buying stuff is easy, training not so much.

Therefore, ride a lot more (at least 300~500hours) and then decide if you want to make a big upgrade to something much nicer in a season or two. Before that you can upgrade to a nice set of wheels that are tubeless which would be a good upgrade. Not sure I would worry about the fork if I was going to get a new bike in <24 months. Always good to have some extra wheels anyway, maybe some nice ENVEs....hmmm.
Old 05-13-20, 06:49 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Buying a new bike in 2020 with QR is not an upgrade. And unlike the BS SX drivetrain, you will never be able to change that. Just keep your old bike and ride it till you are ready for an actual upgrade.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 05-13-20, 07:05 PM
jrhoneOC

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Buying a new bike in 2020 with QR is not an upgrade. And unlike the BS SX drivetrain, you will never be able to change that. Just keep your old bike and ride it till you are ready for an actual upgrade.

That's the plan now.
Old 05-13-20, 07:28 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
You are getting your first lesson in bicycle industry marketing. Every year, or less, they have the next thing you "have to" have. It's mostly marketing. Ride the bike you have for a couple years and really upgrade when it's time to upgrade.

27.5"
DI2
Tubeless tires
Non-Di2
29"
Internal routing.
Shock in the headset.
Dropper seat post.
Non-dropper but "flex" seatpost.
25c, then27c, then 28c, then 30c tires.
Gravel bikes.
Then 27.5 gravel bikes.
Natural rubber sidewalls, then all-natural rubber sidewalls.
Thru axles, then bigger thru axles.
Disc brakes, then hydraulic disc brakes, then flat mount disc brakes, then 160mm rotors, 180mm rotors....
Etc. Etc. Etc....

The bike industry has more "new and improved" than God has money to buy. Some are worth it, some not so much. Save your money, think about what has been working the last few years and upgrade when needed.

Good luck.

Last edited by stevel610; 05-13-20 at 07:33 PM.
Likes For stevel610:
Old 05-13-20, 07:29 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Agree with Herrk. You'll never get ahead, that's how they hook us. The upgrades you've mentioned are moderate, ride another year with what you got then do a big upgrade to boost standards. I actually don't own any boost bikes anymore. Stuck with the 142TA as it's working for me.

​​​​
Old 05-15-20, 07:31 AM
johncroom
John Croom

Bikes: TONS

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Go ride your bike and quit looking at catalogs. Upgrading is always a waste of money. I have been into these things for 25 years and nothing really changes except forced obsolescence of parts.
I don't know if I full agree with this...but I would say don't get caught up in too much upgrades when you'd be shocked how good some of the lower grade components are.
Old 05-16-20, 10:48 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Velomine still has those four piece Box groups on deep close out if you want another option
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-21-20, 07:44 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Velomine still has those four piece Box groups on deep close out if you want another option
I bought the 50T option a few months back and can vouch they work well. Almost bought another set but to be honest 10spd meets most of my riding needs.
Old 05-21-20, 09:43 AM
jrhoneOC

Originally Posted by qclabrat
I bought the 50T option a few months back and can vouch they work well. Almost bought another set but to be honest 10spd meets most of my riding needs.
just looked into it. Not bad at all. Have u had issues with dropping the chain and do u use a chain guard? I saw a review of maybe an older model and their only gripe was it dropped the chain frequently. This review was a few years old so the new rear mech with the adjustable clutch may have solved this issue. Otherwise it looks like exactly what i want.
Old 05-21-20, 07:04 PM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I'd say you have a bad case of GAS. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). As do I. If you were talking about replacing a 10 year old bike, it would be different, but I'd hold off for more than 1 year. After all, they're coming out with a new catalog next year too.
Old 05-22-20, 04:49 PM
jrhoneOC

Just pulled the trigger on the Box On 1x11 groupset. Comes with everything I need at a great price...plus its heavily discounted. Its like I am getting a higher level of components at a great price. Will install and report back. Looking forward to getting that granny gear going on some steep and technical climbs I just cant swing with the 42. Not saying the 50 is going to make a difference...but almost everyone I see going up it has a 50. Evens the playing field..