Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Staying hydrated and field post bariatric surgery

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 04:47 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Staying hydrated and fueled post bariatric surgery

So, my wife has been riding a lot more this year. She has ride more this year than she had in the past 4 years combined. Last November she has a gastric sleeve surgery. So her stomach is about half the size of normal. My 7 year old daughter frequently eats more than my wife. It has worked amazingly well. Most people lose 25 to 50 pounds at the 6 month checkup, my wife has lost 85. She even completed her first climb today. Not much, but huge for her. Only about 65 feet of climb over a half mile or so. But has hasn't been on top of that hill on a bicycle since junior high school.

I can anticipate her getting into longer rides. My biggest fear is her not being able to stay hydrated and fueled for the ride. Her diet pretty much had to maximize protein intake and minimize carbs. However, the general consensus is this is backwards for mid ride fueling due to time to digest and get into the blood stream.

Any suggestions? Or is this something we should seek professional advice for?

Last edited by Melvang; 06-04-20 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Autocorrect error
Old 06-06-20, 10:49 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I don't know that anyone here could be even vaguely qualified to give ANY manner of advice on such little information.
Obviously, she is under the care of the doctor(s) that performed this procedure and are surely keeping track of her nutrition and weight. Given the unknown medical reason(s) that her and doctors would have opted for this manner of surgery, THEN exercise it would likely be best you take this concern to them.
Old 06-08-20, 01:10 PM
Sonya8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I don't know that anyone here could be even vaguely qualified to give ANY manner of advice on such little information.
Obviously, she is under the care of the doctor(s) that performed this procedure and are surely keeping track of her nutrition and weight. Given the unknown medical reason(s) that her and doctors would have opted for this manner of surgery, THEN exercise it would likely be best you take this concern to them.
yeah, we're not qualified to give advice wisely