Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 06-04-20, 10:14 PM
  #4876  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,173

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Peak 1397 yesterday
Power?

Are you back riding?
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 12:14 AM
  #4877  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dirty Jerz
Posts: 20,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Power?

Are you back riding?
Yup! Power!
Trying to get back into it to stay in it. Will likely try to set up a sports med apt when things start calming down so I can get ahead of whatever it was in my knee that made me stop ages ago. Knee has still been acting up a bit, but I'm being very careful not to overdo it and have been trying to make small fit changes on the trainer so I don't commit to doing a 2 hr ride without something that feels atleast somewhat familiar.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 08:06 AM
  #4878  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,047

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
I thought it was a date such as 1492 when Columbus discovered America.
Hermes is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 10:03 AM
  #4879  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dirty Jerz
Posts: 20,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
I thought it was a date such as 1492 when Columbus discovered America.
Soon hopefully.

My guess is I could probably hit close to that if I did that when I was fresh instead of at the end of a ride!
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 11:29 AM
  #4880  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,041
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 132 Posts
if you're not racing who cares if your sprint is 1397 or 1450? Not a lot of correlation between sprinting prowess and health and fitness. Best masters sprinters are typically fat old guys who look like they drive buses for a living.

Last edited by gsteinb; 06-05-20 at 11:45 AM.
gsteinb is offline  
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 06-05-20, 11:34 AM
  #4881  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 13,846
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
if you're not racing who cares if you're sprint is 1397 or 1450? Not a lot of correlation between sprinting prowess and health and fitness. Best masters sprinters are typically fat old guys who look like they drive buses for a living.
My friend who raced crits as cat 3 recorded over 1600 watts during a pull in the middle of a race the first time he measured power. He was probably 265 pounds then.
big john is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 11:35 AM
  #4882  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,494
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
Best masters sprinters are typically fat old guys who look like they drive buses for a living.
I now have a new goal to shoot for when I reach my golden years, thanks...
himespau is online now  
Old 06-05-20, 12:06 PM
  #4883  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dirty Jerz
Posts: 20,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
if you're not racing who cares if your sprint is 1397 or 1450? Not a lot of correlation between sprinting prowess and health and fitness. Best masters sprinters are typically fat old guys who look like they drive buses for a living.
Benchmarks against 19-20 year old me.

Also, isn't everyone currently not racing?


Originally Posted by big john View Post
My friend who raced crits as cat 3 recorded over 1600 watts during a pull in the middle of a race the first time he measured power. He was probably 265 pounds then.
WR peaked at 1800ish iirc.
But he was all about the kilo attack.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 12:16 PM
  #4884  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,041
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Benchmarks against 19-20 year old me.

that's a fool's errand

Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Also, isn't everyone currently not racing?
ok. nm.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 12:35 PM
  #4885  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 13,846
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
WR peaked at 1800ish iirc.
But he was all about the kilo attack.
He's a pretty big fella, no? Maybe only 200, I don't remember.
big john is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 04:54 PM
  #4886  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dirty Jerz
Posts: 20,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
He's a pretty big fella, no? Maybe only 200, I don't remember.
His race weight was in the 180s afaik. I had asked him about it recently because I've been pestering him about bike stuff haha. He actually bought a new bike! Not just on the Ritchey anymore.

I actually met up with him when i was in Austin!
ridethecliche is offline  
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 06-05-20, 05:21 PM
  #4887  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 13,846
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
His race weight was in the 180s afaik. I had asked him about it recently because I've been pestering him about bike stuff haha. He actually bought a new bike! Not just on the Ritchey anymore.

I actually met up with him when i was in Austin!
There was the famous Trek which he made a thread about and I think he had a Fuji after that? He always seemed like a great guy but I never met him. Glad to hear he still rides.
big john is offline  
Old 06-07-20, 02:59 PM
  #4888  
furiousferret 
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 6,067
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 125 Posts
After 10 weeks of telecommuting we're finally being called in. Most aren't happy about it, especially since we're having record cases and roughly 20% is over 60. However our managers never worked from home (pretty sure they don't think its a threat), and despite telling us we did a great job, they obviously missed their 'toys'. Considering our cubicle environment and how close everyone is there is a fair chance of an outbreak.

According to my wife (who is the COVID coordinator for 20+ manufacturing plants) management can be personally sued for any COVID related issues since they are going against State recommendations which are to telecommute if available.

I'm not as worried about it as I was in March, and people in much worse shape than me have to confront it daily (though I'm more concerned for my coworkers) so we are lucky to have a job where we can work from home. That being said, I still don't want to get it.
furiousferret is offline  
Old 06-07-20, 03:08 PM
  #4889  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,402

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
After 10 weeks of telecommuting we're finally being called in. Most aren't happy about it, especially since we're having record cases and roughly 20% is over 60. However our managers never worked from home (pretty sure they don't think its a threat), and despite telling us we did a great job, they obviously missed their 'toys'. Considering our cubicle environment and how close everyone is there is a fair chance of an outbreak.

According to my wife (who is the COVID coordinator for 20+ manufacturing plants) management can be personally sued for any COVID related issues since they are going against State recommendations which are to telecommute if available.

I'm not as worried about it as I was in March, and people in much worse shape than me have to confront it daily (though I'm more concerned for my coworkers) so we are lucky to have a job where we can work from home. That being said, I still don't want to get it.
They're not forcing my work back to the office, but giving the option to most (forcing a few managers). The current phase here is still supposed to be "telecommute if possible" though, and it's clearly been possible, so the fact they're asking certain people to come in.

I won't be going in. But if I get my new job which doesn't have a local office I am thinking of leasing a small office. Because of the security of what I'll be doing a We Work type won't fly, but a single professional office with a door and keycard that is just mine should be ok. I'll be 1099 so I can deduct the expenses. I'm driving my wife crazy, she wants the house back so she can exercise, and school the kids, and sing and dance and do stuff she isn't comfortable doing with me around.

I'd work better like that anyway. At home I want to see the kids, see the wife, work on odd jobs.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 06-08-20, 12:27 PM
  #4890  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,833

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 531 Times in 363 Posts
I can't post up a reply to the real person, it would just be too harsh, but it does bug me. They posted on FB about accomplishing a virtual Everesting. Cool.

I look at the data, average of what appears to be 150w while ascending. This was on Alpe du Zwift. I did the math, and even on a 34/36 gear, you'd be at 40rpm during the 14% grades and 60rpm on the overall average.

Effectively, they altered the trainer difficulty low enough to make it work. Which to me, is NOT a virtual Everesting. It's a monumental waste of 14 hours of pain to not accomplish what you claim you did.

Again, it would be too brutal or mean to point this out, but I could NEVER spend 14 hours doing something if it was essentially a compromise or pretty much a "fake".

The official grey stripe rules for v-Everesting are 100% trainer difficulty. If you don't own a nice enough trainer for 100% difficulty and actual % grade of the Alpe, you must choose a shallower climb.
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 06-08-20, 12:39 PM
  #4891  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 13,846
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 442 Posts
It's hard enough to care about "real" Everesting.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 06-08-20, 12:53 PM
  #4892  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,494
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 322 Posts
Didn't know there were rules about vEveresting. I thought you just had to climb 10,000 meters.
himespau is online now  
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-08-20, 01:32 PM
  #4893  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,402

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
They're not forcing my work back to the office, but giving the option to most (forcing a few managers). The current phase here is still supposed to be "telecommute if possible" though, and it's clearly been possible, so the fact they're asking certain people to come in.

I won't be going in. But if I get my new job which doesn't have a local office I am thinking of leasing a small office. Because of the security of what I'll be doing a We Work type won't fly, but a single professional office with a door and keycard that is just mine should be ok. I'll be 1099 so I can deduct the expenses. I'm driving my wife crazy, she wants the house back so she can exercise, and school the kids, and sing and dance and do stuff she isn't comfortable doing with me around.

I'd work better like that anyway. At home I want to see the kids, see the wife, work on odd jobs.
Hoo boy did I open up a can of worms.

LLC, LLP, S-corp, sole proprietor, tax considerations, liability insurance, unemployment insurance, workers comp, drug and alcohol policies...
Flatballer is offline  
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 06-08-20, 01:49 PM
  #4894  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,871
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
I can't post up a reply to the real person, it would just be too harsh, but it does bug me. They posted on FB about accomplishing a virtual Everesting. Cool.

I look at the data, average of what appears to be 150w while ascending. This was on Alpe du Zwift. I did the math, and even on a 34/36 gear, you'd be at 40rpm during the 14% grades and 60rpm on the overall average.

Effectively, they altered the trainer difficulty low enough to make it work. Which to me, is NOT a virtual Everesting. It's a monumental waste of 14 hours of pain to not accomplish what you claim you did.

Again, it would be too brutal or mean to point this out, but I could NEVER spend 14 hours doing something if it was essentially a compromise or pretty much a "fake".

The official grey stripe rules for v-Everesting are 100% trainer difficulty. If you don't own a nice enough trainer for 100% difficulty and actual % grade of the Alpe, you must choose a shallower climb.
If they spent 14 hours pedaling. I think that qualifies, regardless of how hard the went.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 06-08-20, 02:39 PM
  #4895  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dirty Jerz
Posts: 20,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 46 Posts
furiousferret that sounds ridiculous. Hopefully they reverse especially if the WFH isn't hurting productivity.

Originally Posted by big john View Post
It's hard enough to care about "real" Everesting.
14 hours on a trainer is some soviet level ****.
ridethecliche is offline  
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 06-09-20, 03:03 PM
  #4896  
furiousferret 
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 6,067
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 125 Posts
So the good thing about being back at work is seeing all your friends. I told my coworker I was learning Spanish, and now he's on board, so I have a language buddy. He then tells me, "This will be good because my mom doesn't speak English"....and yes his mom raised him. So his mom spoke no English, her kids knew about 25 Spanish words, and that went on for 18 years. Weird world. Even for immigrants that has to be odd.

Work isn't too bad, but some are scared af. Wearing full facemasks in addition to their mask. The rhetoric from the top seems to be, 'You're not actually scared of it are you?' I think its pretty easy for someone in my age bracket to not be concerned but some of our employees (or their parents at home) have about the same chance of mortality as a dentist not recommending a toothpaste.
furiousferret is offline  
Old 06-09-20, 03:32 PM
  #4897  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,710

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
So the good thing about being back at work is seeing all your friends. I told my coworker I was learning Spanish, and now he's on board, so I have a language buddy. He then tells me, "This will be good because my mom doesn't speak English"....and yes his mom raised him. So his mom spoke no English, her kids knew about 25 Spanish words, and that went on for 18 years. Weird world. Even for immigrants that has to be odd.
Yeah, I'd be totally surprised that there wasn't a greater level of fluency, but I can relate to losing the fluency over time. My parents came from Portugal and my hometown is one of the larger Portuguese populations in the US, there are some in MA, Newark has a sizable population, and there are some spots out in CA where folks settled. Anyhow, because of being in a population center, I was sent to Portuguese language school during evenings from 1st-9th grade and had an advanced literature class in high school. 20 years later, my fluency is crap, I only speak with my parents and even then I tend to mix languages because a lot of times I have a hard time nailing something I can express much better in english. I'd have to spend a few months overseas to really regain fluency
hubcyclist is offline  
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 06-09-20, 04:17 PM
  #4898  
aaronmcd
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 3,461

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 44 Posts
A friend of mine noted that with the nearby campgrounds all closed for the virus, it would be a good time to stealth camp. There's one with 5 sites in a cove just across the golden gate with views of the city and bridge. My wife, who has never been interested in riding has been doing some short & easy rides with me lately, so we crammed a tent, pad, burrito and snacks into the backpack and rode across the bridge Sunday night. Just chilled on the beach til sunset, setup the tent at dusk in a spot behind a hill from the dirt road in case a ranger came by to collect garbage. It was really nice until about 10 am the next day as we were trying to work on barely any sleep lol. Saw a couple coyotes chasing a deer at sunrise.
aaronmcd is offline  
Old 06-10-20, 05:09 PM
  #4899  
furiousferret 
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 6,067
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
Yeah, I'd be totally surprised that there wasn't a greater level of fluency, but I can relate to losing the fluency over time. My parents came from Portugal and my hometown is one of the larger Portuguese populations in the US, there are some in MA, Newark has a sizable population, and there are some spots out in CA where folks settled. Anyhow, because of being in a population center, I was sent to Portuguese language school during evenings from 1st-9th grade and had an advanced literature class in high school. 20 years later, my fluency is crap, I only speak with my parents and even then I tend to mix languages because a lot of times I have a hard time nailing something I can express much better in english. I'd have to spend a few months overseas to really regain fluency
I've only met one Portuguese person out here in California. This kid at my Junior High School would always get in fights because they'd call him white and he'd proclaim he's Portuguese and start punching people. Tough kid, because of him and Ronaldo I don't mess with them. He did look white though. (actually he looked like the Karate Kid).

Last edited by furiousferret; 06-10-20 at 05:16 PM.
furiousferret is offline  
Old 06-11-20, 09:17 AM
  #4900  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,871
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 165 Posts
When I was in middle school, my father's business partner in Montreal sent his son, who was a year or two younger than me, down to live with us for the summer. Basically, the kid refused to learn English, so his father thought a summer in the states would help.

Every time we introduced him as being from Canada, he would get irate, and scream, "I'm not from Canada! I'm from Quebec!"

After awhile, we started saying he was from Canada just to tick him off.
topflightpro is offline  
Likes For topflightpro:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.