Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Tubeless tire sealant

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-20, 08:40 PM
mbe

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubeless tire sealant

I have a Checkpoint SL5 that I recently purchased a few weeks ago. Before I took delivery from my LBS, I had them convert the stock Bontrager GR1 tires to tubeless.

I have only put on a few hundred kms and so far have had two punctures, both occurring while riding on the road. The first puncture was literally within 5 minutes on my first ride from picking the bike up, when I was unable to avoid riding over some broken glass on the shoulder due to traffic. Today I encountered a second puncture when nearly home from a ride. On my most recently puncture today, the tire was only showing about 10 PSI when I got home and inspected the tire. I currently run about 40-45 PSI when riding on mixed road and gravel paths.

I find the Bontrager sealant to takes quite some time to seal. By the time it does seal, most of the air has already escaped from the tire. When inspecting the tire, I found the leak by spraying some soapy water on the tread as there was no visible sealant showing anywhere. It was still leaking quite considerably. I couldn't see any physical debris still stuck in the tread so I went ahead and spun the tire around a few times to get more sealant in the spot of the puncture. When I went to inflate it back up it started leaking again, but this time it also released sealant into the tread. This was about 30 minutes after first discovering the puncture.

Perhaps I am expecting too much and these stock GR1 tires are just really mediocre and prone to punctures beyond what any tubeless sealant can seal. I should note that the punctures were approaching 1/4 inch in size, which is the upper end of Bontrager's maximum claimed puncture size for its tubeless sealant. I am relatively new to tubeless so I am not sure if this is normal or if there is a better sealant out there that will seal a bit better.
Old 07-05-20, 08:50 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
A 1/4 in pincture is beyond what most sealants can realistically seal unless you are really lucky. Sometimes you can get a bit of luck and get a low-pressure seal after a lot of air loss that will get yoy back home, but a full-pressure seal of a 1/4 in puncture would be beyond the realistic limits of what current sealants can normally handle...
Old 07-05-20, 09:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Yeah, any sealant is gonna spit 'n spray with a hole that big. In the future, you'll either want to use a plug (like a Dynaplug or Stan's Dart) for punctures that large in the field, or with a traditional patch on the inside of the tire at home.
Old 07-05-20, 09:36 PM
mbe

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is what I sort of figured. Just bad luck to have had two punctures so soon.

Is it okay to use CO2 with tubeless to refill the tire once either the tire had sealed itself or been plugged?
Old 07-05-20, 09:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
That's all I use.
Old 07-06-20, 01:13 AM
richdirector

Bikes: Rohloffed Ti Lynskey 29er, Sonder Camino ti Gravel Bike, Mercian Tourer, Lynskey road bike, Brompton S2L-X folding bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mbe
...... .

Perhaps I am expecting too much and these stock GR1 tires are just really mediocre and prone to punctures beyond what any tubeless sealant can seal. I should note that the punctures were approaching 1/4 inch in size,
I had GR1 on my lynskey and just ripped sidewall that was beyond repair... They seemed to wear a bit quicker than earlier WTB nano and resolute. GR1 are for well suited to loose, dry conditions and not bad in the wet. Not meant for mud or wet grass as they spin out.

I've just gone on to Michelin gravel King SK but too early to say (apart from fitted really easily)
Old 07-06-20, 09:54 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by mbe
That is what I sort of figured. Just bad luck to have had two punctures so soon.

Is it okay to use CO2 with tubeless to refill the tire once either the tire had sealed itself or been plugged?
Yeah - although it may temporarily freeze the sealant (and anything near the valve). Generally no issues. I tend to take a tiny lezyne hand pump with me if my sealant doesn't get it quick enough. Saved my butt with some pinch flats which take a while to seal.
Old 07-06-20, 09:56 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
To me, 1/4” is a decently sized puncture, and I am more surprised that sealed at all and you arrived home with 10psi left. Most every time I have gotten a tubeless puncture (most much smaller than 1/4”) I have stopped riding, made an effort to find the puncture quickly and put a finger over it to help stop the flow of sealant and encourage drying, and even then it’s not uncommon to lose enough air that I have to add a few pumps or some CO2...sometimes I even end up topping it off again a few minutes later. I use orange seal, FWIW.