Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help on Buying an Indoor Trainer

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-07-20, 10:31 AM
LeviWinchester

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Newest 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I need to pointers and suggestions regarding an indoor trainer. I've been doing a bunch of research and it's just a bit much. This will be my 1st one and I want to make sure that I get one compatible with my bike and for me.

1. 2010 Fuji Newest 1.0 with quick release rims.

2. I have plentiful space and storage.

3. Price point @ or under $500.

4. Noise is not crucial but the more quiet the better.

5. I will be getting another bike, but the Fuji will be designated for my indoor trainer.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Last edited by LeviWinchester; 07-07-20 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-07-20, 11:31 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
Biggest factor is "whatcha gonna be doing?" ... that is, smart-trainer or dumb-trainer... do you aim to become a Disciple of Zwift or are you just looking do get some good burn-ins when the weather warrants? If you're just going with door#2, then my philosophy is "go used (Ebay, CL) with a simple magnetrainer for $100 or so, and you'll probably need a "trainer QR skewer" that has a more rounded cylindrical head to fit in the mount. That meets my needs for about 50 hours a season when the weather outside is uncooperative. For the smart-trainer approach, well, that $500 might get you there. For ZwiftyNirvana, a good bit more $.
Old 07-07-20, 11:54 AM
LeviWinchester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's going to be more for a "weather" indoor use trainer. Plus for those days where it's just not possible, time wise, to grab my bike throw it on the back of my car and drive to a spot to go for a ride.

Side note: I dont ride on city streets anymore, only on designated bike paths completely away from traffic. (I've been hit or clipped by cars too many times.)

I just need an idea on which trainer is a good one to start with. I like the specs of the magnetic trainers. But what's a good one that is compatible with my bike?
Old 07-07-20, 12:14 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I've owned 2 magnetic trainers. Both of them were given away after a few weeks. I'm lazy to mount/dismount my bike from the Trainers and I didn't find they were very robust. I also didn't like the idea of the roller wearing out my rear tire.

I ended up buying a dedicated stationary bike with a heavy magnetic wheel. It cost about the same as a quality Trainer. Had it for almost two yrs now. Perfect for when I can't get outside to ride.....ymmv
Old 07-07-20, 12:39 PM
LeviWinchester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So as I stated my price point is not to exceed $500. And I know that stationary bikes are well above that price. Also stated is that my current bike is going to to be designated for just the trainer. (As I will be getting a newer bike.) So it will never be detached. Additionally, I'll be purchasing a tire set just for the trainer.

Also, stationary bikes do not afford the ability to ease of storage. I may live in a pretty spacious 1br apartment, but I do not have the space to store it out of the way. A trainer I can store in a closet, out of the way if needed.

Last edited by LeviWinchester; 07-07-20 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 12:53 PM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
https://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers...c-road-machine
Likes For probe1957:
Old 07-07-20, 12:55 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I would recommend buying a used fluid trainer. Prices have gone up, but they're still well below your budget and most trainers are being sold by people who rarely used them before sticking them in a closet to collect cobwebs.

If you want to be engaged while riding, a set of rollers that fold up would also be a good option.
​​​​​
Old 07-07-20, 01:20 PM
Roobz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Iv just recently got myself a turbo and have been really enjoying smashing the miles out on zwift

a few things to consider

if your getting a ‘wheel on’ trainer then invest in a indoor training tyre. they are not a gimic at all. They are made to be as quite as possible and last forever and are cheap.

secondly, if you have solid concrete floors these will really help minimise noise. I have used my turbo outside on my paved patio and it’s nearly silent. using it on a wooden floors (even carpeted) the noise just resonates between the cavity under the floor and the joists and can get really noisy when your putting in some effort.

thirdly invest in a good fan and extra water bottles! turbo sessions are much sweatier than any outdoor ride your likely to do. Regardless of the season.

if I had your budget I’d look at the wahoo Kickr snap.

Last edited by Roobz; 07-07-20 at 01:28 PM.
Likes For Roobz:
Old 07-07-20, 01:28 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I have a Saris Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer that I've had for almost 20 years and it works great to this day, it is a dumb trainer and that's fine with me. Anyway ModernBike.com has them on sale for $279 including shipping.

Fluid trainers have more resistance capability than magnetic, plus they have a more of a road feel to them, and the resistance builds up based on the riders input and gear selection, I think they call it exponential resistance; and like magnetic, fluid trainers are quiet, some say they're quieter than mag trainers.
Old 07-07-20, 01:36 PM
LeviWinchester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I live in an 2nd floor apartment building that was built in the late 40s. So we're talking wooden floors that have been carpeted. Wooden joists and plastered walls. But good thing is that it's an empty office that's directly underneath me. So that's not a problem. I'm a bit weary about rollers because I dont have great balance anymore unless I'm moving forward or locked in. (Too many concussions and from being hit by cars while riding.)

But what I'm really looking for is actual suggestions on what trainer I should get. I've been looking at the Saris Magnetic Smart trainer, the Saris Fluid 2 and the Elite Novo Force trainer.

Given those options, what do you think might be the best option regarding compatibility with my 2010 Fuji Newest 1.0?
Old 07-07-20, 01:56 PM
Roobz

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LeviWinchester
So I live in an 2nd floor apartment building that was built in the late 40s. So we're talking wooden floors that have been carpeted. Wooden joists and plastered walls. But good thing is that it's an empty office that's directly underneath me. So that's not a problem. I'm a bit weary about rollers because I dont have great balance anymore unless I'm moving forward or locked in. (Too many concussions and from being hit by cars while riding.)

But what I'm really looking for is actual suggestions on what trainer I should get. I've been looking at the Saris Magnetic Smart trainer, the Saris Fluid 2 and the Elite Novo Force trainer.

Given those options, what do you think might be the best option regarding compatibility with my 2010 Fuji Newest 1.0?
I have the Elite novo smart, I’m happy with it for the price I payed (slightly higher due to Covid) it plays nicely with zwift and I can tolerate the noise. Although my next trainer will 100% be a ’wheel off’ turbo.

YouTube is your friend for things like this, most reviews even do a noise test on them. I’d suggest having a look on there at the other two options.
Likes For Roobz:
Old 07-07-20, 01:57 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Last summer before the crazy set in I purchased a used Kinetic Road Machine off CraigsList. I got my monies worth out of it, $100 plus a tire. I put 3300 miles on it since November, 7 months of training. That translates into 9 1/2 days on the trainer 24/7. This is much more than i usually ride outside in the same amount of time frame.

If I had it to do over again I would get a Wahoo Kikker Snap as another poster recommended. While some individuals seem to be able to live with the tedium of indoor trainers I had to resort to using Zwift. The fact that there is a very big possibility that you might decide to take indoor training seriously makes it in my opinion a wise move to get a smart trainer so that you have the flexibility to use 3rd party applications to find relief of the lack of mental stimulation and physical feedback.
Old 07-07-20, 02:01 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I think my trainer is also a Cyclops Fluid...black and yellow logo...anyway...

It's noisy as hell. The one that I got isn't the "swaying" one. Not sure if that aspect is worthwhile when you consider the need (or not) for a training block. Aside from those aspects, it folds into a corner well and lives there most of the time.

I second the recommend to buy one used. Make sure that it comes with, or that you buy a STEEL skewer (if you need one). Do not use the AL one that came with your wheels.

I had "good intentions" on buying mine. I meant to use it. I don't. Exactly why I suggest going used, because I certainly am not the only one and mine could likely be had for about half price with barely a few hours on it.

One other aspect as an aside. Mine is a total PITA to tighten onto a skewer for anything other than a road bike, and even then requires quite a bit of strength that I no longer have due to injuries. With mine I have a pipe that I use with in order to turn that lever back and forth.
Old 07-07-20, 02:10 PM
LeviWinchester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you to the responses guys! I really appreciate the input. I've already decided that a Smart trainer is a must have for me. The virtual connectivity is a definite plus. And I'll definitely be putting in some miles in on one.

Due to the price issue, a wheel-on is the viable option. But needless to say, later on when my purchase point can be elevated, a direct-drive will be the route I will take. Unless I move to a new place that I'll have a patio/yard. Lol.

All 3 of my options have Smart ability. Which in your opinion is the best choice? Or is there another option out there within my $500 max limit to consider?
Old 07-07-20, 02:16 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Thank you to the responses guys! I really appreciate the input. I've already decided that a Smart trainer is a must have for me. The virtual connectivity is a definite plus. And I'll definitely be putting in some miles in on one.

Due to the price issue, a wheel-on is the viable option. But needless to say, later on when my purchase point can be elevated, a direct-drive will be the route I will take. Unless I move to a new place that I'll have a patio/yard. Lol.

All 3 of my options have Smart ability. Which in your opinion is the best choice? Or is there another option out there within my $500 max limit to consider?
Just to mention, before you buy and you probably already know...

If you already have a Garmin and a speed sensor you don't have to have a "smart" trainer. You can buy a dongle (according to your method of connecting to "program") that will see those devices and transfer the same info as the smart trainer.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-07-20, 02:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have one of these. Excellent trainer for the money.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-07-20, 03:53 PM
WFdave

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought my first smart trainer late last year and it's the Kickcore from Wahoo. They run $799 at places like REI. I know it's above your budget but they do have 20% off sales which brings it in closer. I would wait to purchase a smart trainer from any of the big names as it sounds like you're going down that path..

You could pull the cassette off your bike and use it on the trainer to save around $70, or you would have to purchase one to put on the trainer. Some trainers may come with a cassette but it has to match the number of gears on your rear hub.

The trainer I'm using also has Watts, Cadence and Speed outputs so I didn't have to purchase additional sensors. For a training app most have a solution for the trainer supplier. I do a yearly subscription to Zwift which has been excellent and has helped me stay interested.
Likes For WFdave:
Old 07-07-20, 04:30 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote

If you already have a Garmin and a speed sensor you don't have to have a "smart" trainer. You can buy a dongle (according to your method of connecting to "program") that will see those devices and transfer the same info as the smart trainer.
But isn't the main point of having a smart trainer for it to increase the load as needed?
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-07-20, 05:37 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
If you want something different and quick and easy to setup and stow away, I like my Feedback sports Omnium Over-drive.

https://www.amazon.com/FeedBack-Spor.../dp/B01E03AJAS

The over-drive is model you would want (resistance model). The other provides no resistance, just rollers.

I have this and like it (moved from Kurt Kinetic). The front wheel is easier to setup, sturdy, and the rollers work well. Don't even need special tires and it is pretty quiet on road tires. You can also use thru-axles as well as quick-release. An d though it looks like the rear wheel might slide off the roller, it won't.The forward motion of the roller forces the wheel to the middle of the roller.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 07-08-20, 03:11 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote

I knew this could be done with a Dumb Trainer and a bike mounted power meter (Pedal, Crank, Hub). Are you sure this will work based on only a speed sensor?
BTW the dongle referred to is ANT+/USB. A lot of power meters do Bluetooth and ANT+ dongle not required.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 07-08-20, 03:37 PM
LeviWinchester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your feedback. I ended up purchasing a Saris Fluid 2 Smart Trainer. And got a Trainer Tire. Should be here milby Friday. I'll let you guys know how it works out for me. And if I need any assistance setting it up.
Old 07-09-20, 02:11 PM
Roobz

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Enjoy it 👍🏻
Likes For Roobz:
Old 07-09-20, 04:17 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Thanks for all your feedback. I ended up purchasing a Saris Fluid 2 Smart Trainer. And got a Trainer Tire. Should be here milby Friday. I'll let you guys know how it works out for me. And if I need any assistance setting it up.
Stick with it!
Likes For GeneO:
Old 07-09-20, 04:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Rollers..