Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommend a bike for me

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Recommend a bike for me

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 02:55 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Not sure why "wow."

Let me be very plain: I'm not bike-obsessed. I'm obsessive, and fairly driven as an individual, but I've been busy (dreary **** about middle age, no one wants it in detail trust me).

I'm pretty psyched that Trek has a new store here, though! That's great news.

One of the challenges I'm facing (and perhaps this is not generally helpful, so apologies to the board) is one that really can't be answered: just how far am I going to go with this interest? It's completely possible that I never do more than ride on the multi-user trail, albeit at a good clip. As dorky as it must sound, I'd be a perfect candidate for spin classes if I didn't vastly prefer being outside to inside.

But spin I must, if I am to remain mobile, and I also have weight to lose. 2 hour rides work well for both, and frankly the drivers around here scare the **** out of me.

Can I really be the only 50+ biker who isn't sure how deeply into it he wants to go? I live in New Mexico; hiking, climbing, rafting (hell, bowling) are all right outside the door, literally. And not to be overly dramatic, but I'm still just glad to be able to walk.

Many thanks to Rajflyboy; any encouragement helps.

I am now excited to visit the Trek store!
Old 07-11-20, 03:12 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Bump to thank all who responded.

Well, I went on a long, slow fishing trip: I waited on CraigsList. When the fish finally bit, I won big: A Giant TCR-1 with Ultegra groupset. I have put a couple thousand miles on it, and I absolutely love the bike.

I wanted to express my thanks to those who posted. It really helped.
Old 07-11-20, 03:41 PM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
I grew up on Peugot XP-10's, and cheaper 70's Motobecanes (Nomade Sprint, Super Mirage). A few years ago I bought a Novara Trionfo ('07 model) to help with fitness. It has an AL6 frame and carbon fork, a little on the heavy side. I added a SRAM Rival crankset and ensured the Gruppo was all-Ultegra (2008ish Ultegra).

To make a boring story shorter, I had some serious things happen and now biking is my best bet to be active. I ride flat routes on the Trionfo, usually between 28 and 45 miles, avg. around 17-19 mph. This is about 4-5 times a week, FWIW. Also FWIW, I'm a pretty good bike handler (former athlete in other sports, recovering from spinal injury and seizure).

I think I want a new bike. I say "I think," because I have not ridden tons of road bikes. That Trionfo's the nicest bike I've ridden.

I could probably scare up about $1,500. I think I want an all-carbon frame, because I like going fast(er). It's my joy in riding - I'm a speed guy. I know 105's are 'nice,' but my wife's bike has a 105 Gruppo and it feels less-nice to me than my aging Ultegras.

Pro's Closet has some really wonderful used bikes at decent prices, it seems.

But really, my knowledge is not only thin but out of date, and I don't want to basically get a meaningless carbon replica of the Trionfo.

Any response truly appreciated.
Then I can guarantee that she has the old version of 105.

R7000 (the lastest) 105 is no worse than Ultegta as far as shifting performance is concerned. It is also cross compatible with Ultegra, as well as Dura Ace.

The only real difference is lower weight and flashier paint.

I own both, and I couldn't tell the difference to save my life.