Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking/Touring, Alum. or steel?, Can I get a decent bike for under 1000?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikepacking/Touring, Alum. or steel?, Can I get a decent bike for under 1000?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 12:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval

because late 90's isn't the 90's .... who F'n knew?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!

1996 Trek 850 Bicycle Type Mountain bike, non-suspension Weight 27.6 Sizes 14.5", 16.5", 18", 19.5", 21", 22.5" Colors Red, silver/blue Item ID 57250
First, when you talk about “90's rigid MTB”, that’s not usually referring to a late 90s mountain bike. By the late 90s, most mountain bikes came with at least front suspension and fully rigid ones were less common. Suspension bikes have their own problems in that they have higher front ends which makes them problematic for smaller riders.

Second, did you look at the sizes? The smallest size for the Trek 850
Is 14.5”. For most people the difference between 14.5” and 15” is close enough. tmbrown0203 needs a 12” frame and may have difficulty fitting on a 12” bike. That one is 3” too tall...as I pointed out. Go buy yourself a bike that is 3” too big and see how you like the ride.

My wife has a 12” mountain bike with an 80mm shock on it and it is just barely short enough. She has much less bail-off room than I have on my mountain bikes. She doesn’t ride off-road like I do but I suspect the reason she doesn’t like mountain biking is because mountain bikes have always been too large for her. Finding road bikes the proper size has been hard enough.

It's bad enough you people are trying to rewrite history, and definitions, but what you do not get to do is claim 1996 isn't the 90's!!! LOL
I’m not trying to “rewrite history”. I’m trying to get the history right. Mountain bikes went through major changes in geometry from the early 90s to the late 90s. Sticking just with hardtails, they went from rigid bicycles to frames that could accommodate a front suspension and they went from long stable bikes to bikes with more balanced geometry for more aggressive riding.

But, again, the main point is that the sizing is wrong for very small people.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-15-20, 03:21 PM
tmbrown0203
TBrown0203

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Breeze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I hope everyone is recommending models that can fit someone who is 4’11’.
Thank you !!! That's the #1 thing!!!
Old 06-15-20, 03:27 PM
tmbrown0203
TBrown0203

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I was thinking the 650b models (like the Salsa Journeyman or Surly Bridge Club) would be a good fit, pardon the pun, for just this reason. You don't have to run it with 50 tires, and at that height, the rider's weight would likely make 38s into a plush ride.

Used 90s mountain bikes would give a lot of room in the budget, but it depends on what OP is looking for. It'll be a project in itself finding the right bike (of course, that's going to be true of a new bike as well, if you're looking for one of a few specific touring models, which aren't often stocked, in this age of the epidemic). Getting it set up right, rebuilt with bearing repacks and new drivetrain and brake pads, and outfitted with racks, will be another project. You want to skip the extra work, plunk down your money and ride off with that new bike smell and a warranty -- you'll be buying new.
100% thank you.... Yes...I am buying new for this reason. I have Nothing against vintage but for something that I'm going to be riding for long periods of time. And with me being so new to this...I want certain guarantees.
Old 06-15-20, 04:53 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
so 1996 isn't 90's because it's late 90's

and 14.5" isn't smaller than 15" because well it's only 0.5 of an inch.

Semantics much??
Old 06-15-20, 06:34 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by tmbrown0203
100% thank you.... Yes...I am buying new for this reason. I have Nothing against vintage but for something that I'm going to be riding for long periods of time. And with me being so new to this...I want certain guarantees.
I would suggest against a 650B wheel. It has a 584mm bead diameter and a tire diameter of 27.5" inch outside diameter. A 650C wheel has an bed diameter of 571mm and a tire diameter of around 26". 650C tires are rather limited to narrow sizes. The old mountain bike standard of a 559mm bead diameter and a nominal 26" outside diameter with a 2" tire is even smaller which reduces the frame height for your small stature.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-15-20, 06:38 PM
cyccommute 

so 1996 isn't 90's because it's late 90's

and 14.5" isn't smaller than 15" because well it's only 0.5 of an inch.

Semantics much??
Lack of understanding much?? 14.5" is close enough to 15" to not make a difference. A 15" mountain bike frame is far too large for anyone who is less than 5'4" tall much less someone 5 inches shorter than that. Someone 4'11" tall is going to have fit issues with a 12" to 13" bike with 26 inch tires and 559mm wheels.

As for the year issue, Read. My. Post.

Finally, how much experience do you have with trying to fit small people onto bicycles? I have tons of it. My daughters aren't as diminutive as my wife but I have also helped lots of other small women I've known find bikes that fit properly.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-15-20, 07:21 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
then maybe you should say they don't make bikes smaller than 14.5" next time?

btw 1996 is the 90's no matter the reasons you want to argue it isn't.
Old 06-15-20, 07:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Don’t let a shop put you on a bike that is too big. If they try to get you on a 49cm bike, they are putting you on a bike that is far to large for your size. You should be riding a road bike around 42 cm± 2 cm. Anything over 44 cm is too large. Unfortunately you are likely not going to find anything under 44 cm.

If you can, avoid anything with 700C wheels. A bike with 26” wheels will fit your much better because of the smaller wheel size. It will give you more standover space and the angles on the head tube won’t be as relaxed. Unfortunately finding bikes with 26” wheels is difficult now.
Yep. As I mentioned above, I bought my 5’ ex a 42cm LHT with 26” wheels. It was the only touring bike I could find that might fit her. Fortunately, a LBS had one in stock. I tricked her into going to the shop with me when I needed to pick up my road bike after service. Said “Hey! Look at that! You should try it out.” The shop owner was in on it. She liked it, so I called the shop the next day and asked them to hold it for me. Picked it up a few days later on her birthday, brought it home and hung it on the wall rack. Took her a couple of minutes to find her present.

BTW...Ignore the perennial troll.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-15-20, 08:37 PM
cyccommute 

then maybe you should say they don't make bikes smaller than 14.5" next time?
Semantics much? Again, it's not that the bike is a 14.5" bike rather than a 15" bike. It's that the bike is far too big for a person 4'11" tall. If a 15" bike is 4" too tall, a 14.5" bike is only going to be 3.5" too tall. It. Is. Still. Too. Tall.

btw 1996 is the 90's no matter the reasons you want to argue it isn't.
Context. Context. Context. Are bikes from the early 90s exactly the same as bikes from the late 90s? No, they aren't. The 1996 bike is a very different bike from a 1990 bike. One could make a good touring bike if it is the right size. The other one, no so much...at least no for traditional panniers touring.

But that makes zero difference if, again, the bike is. The. Wrong. Size.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-16-20, 09:20 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I just went through looking at a lot of touring bikes, what I settled on is a bit over your price range, however I did find bikes in your price range that will work, one of the best ones for $900, there's your wiggle room!, is the Fuji Touring Road Bike, steel bike that comes with rear rack and Deore drivetrain which is on the bike I got and it works really well. This bike does have bar end shifters, like mine, and like most touring bikes have.

Jamis makes a bike called the Aurora which is right at your $800 price point, but it comes with a road group Shimano Sora drivetrain which in my opinion isn't as suitable for touring or gravel as the Deore is.

In an effort to keep the prices down, neither bike comes with decent tires, but for a short 200 mile tour you will be fine, but when the time comes step up to the much more expensive Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tires, their light weight for a touring tire, have really good puncture resistance, tires durability is quite high, and they have the lowest rolling resistance of any tire tested in the touring category. Even my bike came with crappy tires, but due to C19 I can't get any tires for awhile, in fact due to C19 you may have a huge problem finding a bike!

If you can swing the price get the Fuji, if not the Jamis is the next best choice though a bit more limited, but the Fuji is only $100 more, I would beg borrow and steal to get the extra $100!!

The price of the Almotion tire might shock you, they cost around $85 each, but if you are touring with a load you don't want slow heavy clunky stiff riding tires like the Vitts that come on the Fuji or the Kendas that came on my Masi to slow you down more. Another recommended touring tire is the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, these weigh about the same as the Almotion, the rolling resistance is more than the Almotion, but the Almotion has a thicker tire tread so it will last longer, plus it has some tread design which will be adequate for gravel whereas the Supreme is virtually smooth. Also the fuji and the Aurora come with 35c tires, which work fine for touring, but if you want a bit more comfortable ride you should probably go to a 38c tire, the slightly wider tire will wear a bit longer too and have a bit better control on gravel.

You also should consider fenders, Topeak makes a really nice fender called the Defender TX, these cost less than $50 and I like them better than the more expensive SKS full fenders I had on another bike, the Topeak are easy to put on, they don't make as much noise in any, and they stay in adjustment. But since I can't see the bike you have to have a bike shop make sure those will fit your bike, if not Topeak has other choices that are similar. Fenders will keep your bike from getting as messy, and prevent the dreaded soaking from the rooster tail be deposited on you.

I don't think you need a front rack to put front panniers on, you're not doing a cross country trip, so pack around 20 pounds worth of stuff in the rear panniers. It's nice to have a front handlebar bag, but it's up to you, I chose one because I'll eventually be doing more than short 3 or 4 day out trips, but I won't ever need a front pannier, because I only carry 25 to 30 pounds tops even when I do a cross country trip. Topeak makes really nice handlebar bags as well.

I'm assuming either you already have panniers or will be buying them, and I'm also assuming if buying them you probably on a tight budget there as well. So the best set of bags for under $100 is the ArcEnCiel Bike Bag Bicycle Panniers sold on Amazon, they're not the best but for $70 they do the job. I would suggest if you get a set of inexpensive bags is to spray the outside of the bags with a waterproofing spray, also line the panniers with a plastic trash bag that cinches up, because a cheap bag is not going to be waterproof, also put anything you want to make sure doesn't get wet, or leak out, put into zip lock plastic bags, including clothes, you don't want to find wet clothes when you get to camp.

Make sure you spend some time riding the bike loaded because you don't want to be surprised by how much slower and harder work it is riding a loaded touring bike once you start your adventure.

Read as much information about touring and what to take as you can off the internet, also google on Youtube how to eat cheap while backpacking, these videos will show you what to buy at Walmart that you can eat cheaply. Also do the same thing about buying cheap camping gear, a lot of stuff an be found at Walmart, and some on Amazon that won't cost you an arm and a leg. For example, you don't need a $75 stove when a $13 dollar Etekcity stove will do the same thing. You have to do a lot research to find stuff cheap that will work.

Last edited by greatscott; 06-16-20 at 09:52 PM.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 06-16-20, 10:14 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by greatscott
I just went through looking at a lot of touring bikes, what I settled on is a bit over your price range, however I did find bikes in your price range that will work, one of the best ones for $900, there's your wiggle room!, is the Fuji Touring Road Bike, steel bike that comes with rear rack and Deore drivetrain which is on the bike I got and it works really well. This bike does have bar end shifters, like mine, and like most touring bikes have.

Jamis makes a bike called the Aurora which is right at your $800 price point, but it comes with a road group Shimano Sora drivetrain which in my opinion isn't as suitable for touring or gravel as the Deore is.

In an effort to keep the prices down, neither bike comes with decent tires, but for a short 200 mile tour you will be fine, but when the time comes step up to more expensive Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tires, their liight weight for a touring tire, have really good puncture resistance, tires durability is quite high, and they have the lowest rolling resistance of any tire tested in the touring category. Even my bike came with crappy tires, but due to C19 I can't get any tires for awhile, in fact due to C19 you may have a huge problem finding a bike!

If you can swing the price get the Fuji, if not the Jamis is the next best choice though a bit more limited, but the Fuji is only $100 more, I would beg borrow and steal to get the extra $100!!
The problem, again, is size. The Jamis Aurora come in a 47cm while the smallest Fuji is 49cm. Both are far too large for someone tmbrown0203 size. That is going to be a problem with almost all the touring bikes I’ve looked at. The Surly Long Haul Trucker is about the only touring bike the comes in the right size at 42cm. The Trucker will take a wide tire for off-road use. The problem is that an LHT complete is $1200.

The other alternative is a hybrid. The Trek FX series comes in a small enough size for someone 4’11” and it has fittings for racks. Specialized Sirius would also be a good choice. But the hybrids may not take really wide tires. They are much cheaper than the LHT, however. The FX3 is well outfitted for $800. Someone small like tmbrown0203 doesn’t need a beast to stand up to being ridden hard. As an added advantage the FX3 is likely lighter than the LHT.

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-16-20 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 11:09 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I know i sound like a broken record here, but the Salsa Journeyman should fit the size requirements for the OP.
The Journeyman flat bar geometry chart puts the XS (extra small) frame sized 650b rider height in a range of about 4'9 through 5'3. The drop bar 650b 50cm (smallest frame size) is a little different geometry, but still puts rider height at 4'11" on the smallest side of it's range of height.
I am an average build 5'10", and ride a 55.5cm drop bar Journeyman, which fits nicely, and puts my height smack in the middle of Salsa's recommended height chart for this frame size, so the geometry chart appears to be fairly accurate.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 06-16-20, 11:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Then you spend more, for every thing else,
Old 06-17-20, 12:56 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
There's the Breezer Radar Expert

https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/a...r#radar-expert

Under 1k and has some pretty good reviews
Old 06-17-20, 04:50 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
There's the Breezer Radar Expert

https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/a...r#radar-expert

Under 1k and has some pretty good reviews

Good find, and it's kinda in New Orleans Saints colors. It has solid spec as well! TMBrown, what do you think of this one?
Old 06-17-20, 05:33 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
With shipping this one goes slightly over budget. It checks all the boxes though and the manufacturer says the XS fits down to 4'11" I think it's a good looking bike as well.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Marin-Four...lueTan-X-Small

Available here in a different color

https://www.bikebling.com/Marin-Four...shoppingengine
Old 06-17-20, 05:51 AM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I've been happy with my jamis renegade. I have 2 wheels sets, one with 40c tires for touring, gravel riding, commuting and 25c for more road dedicated riding. Some of the smaller sizes come with 650b tires. It comes in both steel and aluminum models in a variety of models/price points. I bought the 2019 expat and over time have been able to change out a few things that I didnt like. A compact road crankset it not good for light touring. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-20-20, 10:03 AM
tmbrown0203
TBrown0203

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris!
I've been happy with my jamis renegade. I have 2 wheels sets, one with 40c tires for touring, gravel riding, commuting and 25c for more road dedicated riding. Some of the smaller sizes come with 650b tires. It comes in both steel and aluminum models in a variety of models/price points. I bought the 2019 expat and over time have been able to change out a few things that I didnt like. A compact road crankset it not good for light touring. Good luck in your search.

Yeah, finding a bike has been quite difficult but my LBS actually is the only place that even has any bike. I have called literally every other bikes shop in the area and they have nothing. Also I have raised my price point (~1400) or so . The most important thing is making sure it fits. Really hoping that the xs Surly Bridge club fits but I am also looking into a few more bikes just in case it doesn't. Also, I want versatility . Thank you !
Old 06-20-20, 10:52 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by tmbrown0203
Yeah, finding a bike has been quite difficult but my LBS actually is the only place that even has any bike. I have called literally every other bikes shop in the area and they have nothing. Also I have raised my price point (~1400) or so . The most important thing is making sure it fits. Really hoping that the xs Surly Bridge club fits but I am also looking into a few more bikes just in case it doesn't. Also, I want versatility . Thank you !
You haven’t really said which bikes you are looking at before. The Bridge Club looks okay but I’d suggest some changes, if you can get the shop to go along. Go for the double crank if you can. Your knees will thank you. Look into going with a 26” tire over the 27.5 if you can. With a 50mm tire, you can drop the stand over by about 3/4”. Since the bike has discs, this is an easy change. The smaller wheels will also give you a lower gear. And they are lighter.

For the future, I’d suggest some upgrades. You don’t have to do it now because it will drive the price up a lot. But look into things that will drop weight. This bike is going to be heavy. Replace bars, seatpost and, if possible, fork with carbon. Your size is made for carbon fiber parts. Try to save as much weight as you can where ever you can. But that’s in the future.

Old 06-22-20, 09:47 AM
morrberg

Bikes: Olmo Competition, Wiler Trestina Ramata, Pinarello Special, Bianchi Campione del mondo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the process of building a cheap bikepacking bike from second hand parts. Don't think this particular Miyata was available in the US. But i'm sure you can find something similar.
The plan is to ride it Norrköping (Sweden) to Gdansk and back, about 1400 kilometers = 869.919669 miles this summer....
Bike 26" Steel Miyata On/Off Road runner from 1991?, found local 50$,
Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera RD-M390 10$ on ebay (front derailleur is original Shimano LX 300 Exage)
Gear lever + V brakes 15$
Wheels used ALEX RIMS DM24 incl 8spd cassette 25$,
Lowrider, rack, bottle cage, and handlebar new about 80$,
Panniers, already had them, (have 2 of the blue ones)
Tires: Schwalbe CX comp, 26x2.0 25$

Will switch to Schwalbe Marathon Mondial for about 60$ when/if i go on a longer tour, and a proper Brooks saddle..
Old 07-12-20, 11:00 AM
tmbrown0203
TBrown0203

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=greatscott;21538217]I just went through looking at a lot of touring bikes, what I settled on is a bit over your price range, however I did find bikes in your price range that will work, one of the best ones for $900, there's your wiggle room!, is the Fuji Touring Road Bike, steel bike that comes with rear rack and Deore drivetrain which is on the bike I got and it works really well. This bike does have bar end shifters, like mine, and like most touring bikes have.

In an effort to keep the prices down, neither bike comes with decent tires, but for a short 200 mile tour you will be fine, but when the time comes step up to the much more expensive Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tires, their light weight for a touring tire, have really good puncture resistance, tires durability is quite high, and they have the lowest rolling resistance of any tire tested in the touring category. Even my bike came with crappy tires, but due to C19 I can't get any tires for awhile, in fact due to C19 you may have a huge problem finding a bike!

The price of the Almotion tire might shock you, they cost around $85 each, but if you are touring with a load you don't want slow heavy clunky stiff riding tires like the Vitts that come on the Fuji or the Kendas that came on my Masi to slow you down more. Another recommended touring tire is the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, these weigh about the same as the Almotion, the rolling resistance is more than the Almotion, but the Almotion has a thicker tire tread so it will last longer, plus it has some tread design which will be adequate for gravel whereas the Supreme is virtually smooth. Also the fuji and the Aurora come with 35c tires, which work fine for touring, but if you want a bit more comfortable ride you should probably go to a 38c tire, the slightly wider tire will wear a bit longer too and have a bit better control on gravel.

You also should consider fenders, Topeak makes a really nice fender called the Defender TX, these cost less than $50 and I like them better than the more expensive SKS full fenders I had on another bike, the Topeak are easy to put on, they don't make as much noise in any, and they stay in adjustment. But since I can't see the bike you have to have a bike shop make sure those will fit your bike, if not Topeak has other choices that are similar. Fenders will keep your bike from getting as messy, and prevent the dreaded soaking from the rooster tail be deposited on you.

I don't think you need a front rack to put front panniers on, you're not doing a cross country trip, so pack around 20 pounds worth of stuff in the rear panniers. It's nice to have a front handlebar bag, but it's up to you, I chose one because I'll eventually be doing more than short 3 or 4 day out trips, but I won't ever need a front pannier, because I only carry 25 to 30 pounds tops even when I do a cross country trip. Topeak makes really nice handlebar bags as well.

I'm assuming either you already have panniers or will be buying them, and I'm also assuming if buying them you probably on a tight budget there as well. So the best set of bags for under $100 is the ArcEnCiel Bike Bag Bicycle Panniers sold on Amazon, they're not the best but for $70 they do the job. I would suggest if you get a set of inexpensive bags is to spray the outside of the bags with a waterproofing spray, also line the panniers with a plastic trash bag that cinches up, because a cheap bag is not going to be waterproof, also put anything you want to make sure doesn't get wet, or leak out, put into zip lock plastic bags, including clothes, you don't want to find wet clothes when you get to camp.

Make sure you spend some time riding the bike loaded because you don't want to be surprised by how much slower and harder work it is riding a loaded touring bike once you start your adventure.

Read as much information about touring and what to take as you can off the internet, also google on Youtube how to eat cheap while backpacking, these videos will show you what to buy at Walmart that you can eat cheaply. Also do the same thing about buying cheap camping gear, a lot of stuff an be found at Walmart, and some on Amazon that won't cost you an arm and a leg. For example, you don't need a $75 stove when a $13 dollar Etekcity stove will do the same thing. You have to do a lot research to find stuff cheap that will work.

Since then I have actually doubled my price point and a lot of things are just a tiny bit off and I would have to tippy toe or some other kind of adjustment. THAT is not an option . I may very well end up spending $2000 on a bike but it will fit me EXACTLY how it is supposed to and have everything I want on it.
Old 07-12-20, 11:09 AM
adalah

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Following!this seems like a very interesting thread
Old 07-12-20, 01:14 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I'm 5'4" and my main (squeeze) bike is an 18" vintage Specialized RockHopper. I love the 26" wheels to tiny bits. There's over an inch between me and the top tube, so standover is fine, but dang that top tube is loooong. I fixed it by going with a short stem and swept bars, specifically the Velo-Orange Porteur bar, and it's super fun to ride. I also have a 17" Trek SingleTrack for off-pavement, and it's also quite fun and light. What I'm saying is that a vintage 15" steel mountain bike would make a great tourer for the OP, if she can find one. It would definitely need modifications; shorter stem, swept handlebar, and the shortest cranks s/he can find, but it would make for a comfortable, sturdy ride that I think s/he would really enjoy. Assuming you can find one; this is a bad time to look for bikes.

I lied; just found this on eBay. You'd put money into it, but you'd end up with a very nice bike.

This Trek is 15" but might work for you.

This RockHopper24 frame might work; you could build it up the way you want. Not cheap, but again, you'd end up with a very nice bike.

Last edited by Korina; 07-12-20 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-17-20, 10:13 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
tmbrown0203 , how goes the search?