Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do I want disc brakes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do I want disc brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 06:43 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Always I forget that most participants on the bike forum are enthusiasts. For the person that is into the sport or hobby there is no end to "performance" upgrades. For the average person that rides a bike for commuting, trail riding, general fun, there is a limit and at the shop we hear from them quite loudly when that limit has been reached! Disc brakes for the average person, especially hydro models, are a mistake. They are not like a rim brake where after years of neglect just add lube and they work again. They are costly to replace, do not do well under neglected maintenance, and most of them cannot be successfully rebuilt.

For the enthusiast that is into cycling as a serious hobby disc brakes are fine, but for the rest of the world hydro disc brakes are a mistake.
I would agree with you on the point that enthusiast cyclists do not need to worry too much about higher performance parts. Indeed, at lower speeds especially, rim brakes are very effective, especially on non-carbon rims. Let's not forget that rim brakes have long proven themselves at all levels.

As for servicing disc systems, yes, they do need more time and effort invested and absolutely should get that to keep them in top condition - I have taken good care of my 29er's system in the last year and intend to do the same with my new road bike because I race the MTB and no doubt will do so on the new bike too...but...that said, I have a 21 year old Giant ATX 880 MTB that still rides like new with Giant MPH hydro discs that have never, ever been serviced! It has never seen heavy use, more of a bike to pop down to the shops on, guests to use etc. But...shows that discs need not be the nightmare some imagine them to be.

Last edited by AlgarveCycling; 07-12-20 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-12-20, 07:47 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Always I forget that most participants on the bike forum are enthusiasts. For the person that is into the sport or hobby there is no end to "performance" upgrades. For the average person that rides a bike for commuting, trail riding, general fun, there is a limit and at the shop we hear from them quite loudly when that limit has been reached! Disc brakes for the average person, especially hydro models, are a mistake. They are not like a rim brake where after years of neglect just add lube and they work again. They are costly to replace, do not do well under neglected maintenance, and most of them cannot be successfully rebuilt.

For the enthusiast that is into cycling as a serious hobby disc brakes are fine, but for the rest of the world hydro disc brakes are a mistake.
I assume you are talking about lube for the calipers?
Old 07-12-20, 09:10 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Lastly, when talking with the local bike shops, they all said buy disc if you are ever thinking of selling the bike.
Ah yes, the ol' pitch of buy a higher end model of (fill in the blank) and you'll have a higher resale value.

I sure would hope that a bike that was purchased for $1000 would sell for more than a bike that was purchased for $700, a few years later.
Old 07-12-20, 10:47 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I come to this with the experience of a former racer, from about 1997 until 2006 I think.

All road bikes had rim brakes at the time. We also rode 23-25mm tires and occasionally 20mm. So it was different.

At the​​​​the start of the race, you threw your spare wheels in the back of a truck. If you got a flat or wrecked, the truck was there for you to grab a wheel, it didn't have to be yours and it was understood that anyone could grab a wheel. It got pit back in the pile at the end of the race. Basically the only thing to pay attention to was Campy or Shimano. Depending on new releases, it didn't hurt to count cogs either. In general though, you could finish, and even still do very well on some strangers wheel.

I have disc brakes on my mountain bike. It's hard enough to keep them from rubbing at all. I swear barometric pressure causes light rubbing some days. It's totally possible to get two wheelsets if you're very careful. It would be pure luck or impossible to do a neutral wheel change at the amateur level. No yellow bike to swap out.

I don't race anymore so don't know how it is, I just can't imagine that neutral wheels is even worth it anymore. I dunno.

So that's one reason to dislike them.

On the other hand, they work very well. My basic Shimano hydro discs stop my mountain bike amazing. I have no doubt they'd stop a road bike very well too.

All that said, I've cornered on wet mountain roads. My lifetime max has been 58mph. I've gone shoulder to shoulder with dozens of others. And I've done some of the steepest stuff on carbon rims. This is all with rim brakes. They do work. Quite well actually. I wouldn't argue that they're better but they certainly aren't a liability.

Wider tires, better modulation, and bikes that are still light with wide tires+ heavier hubs + more spokes is pretty hard to argue with. Still seems a lot like marketing to me.

​​​​
Old 07-12-20, 11:30 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
^^^^everytime I see your handle "rosefarts".....I ROTFLMFAO
Old 07-12-20, 12:19 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
^^^^everytime I see your handle "rosefarts".....I ROTFLMFAO
Family name, passed down for generations.
Old 07-12-20, 01:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
I see there have been several answers to my claim of easy wheel changes pre-disc, I am not going to go back and look. I'll just point out that I have several bikes that started as geared bikes and now run fixed, That rear brake doesn't care. Nor does it care where I set the wheel to get the chain slack right. Dropout spacing is all that matter. Hub dish and axle spacing? Only the chainline cares.

Now, I do not run brifters. I use Tektro levers with their low-tech releases on top of the releases on the calipers. (I use 7 different brake models of 4 different types. They all work with the levers I like to wrap my hands around.) I get enough opening to accommodate fat tires and skinny rims that work, without deflating, up to 38c on Open Pros. My best bikes were built around 28c (chainstays and seattube angle to get the position and weight balance A-1 for the road) so those bikes will never need more than what dual pivots can do easily.

I am now fudging a front derailleur to run a 42nn chainline triple with a tiny inner ring. (To postpone two knee replacements, hopefully until the next lifetime. Q-factor.) In the process of getting it (them) to work, I have put on at least 8 FDs so far and that rear wheel has come on and off more times than I can possibly estimate. That it is easy, an operation that can be done brain-dead - what a gift! Thank you, Tullio!

And another point - cost. All my brakes are real stoppers. I don't think I bought any of them new. Pretty certain that the brakes of all 5 of my bikes cost me less than one good disc set. Maintenance cost? I can go to the shop, buy 2 bikes worth each of canti post and road lever pads, a couple sets of cables, a few feet of housing and all 5 bikes are good to go the next 2 years. A little TriFlo (or whatever I'm using on my chain).

Ben
Old 07-12-20, 04:54 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Family name, passed down for generations.
No dis-respect intended......
Old 07-12-20, 05:12 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Ah yes, the ol' pitch of buy a higher end model of (fill in the blank) and you'll have a higher resale value.

I sure would hope that a bike that was purchased for $1000 would sell for more than a bike that was purchased for $700, a few years later.
Well, I definitely think the industry is pushing disc brakes for the road. But I also know several owners of bike shops - and they all mention how at a certain price point (>3K) everybody wants discs.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 07-12-20, 05:22 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Damn, most of you guys must be running some cheap ass rim brakes

https://www.amazon.com/TRP-SPYRE-All...22031577&psc=1

Arguably one of the best mechanical disc brakes made, come in either MTB or road bike pull ratios, less expensive than a discount priced 105 caliper.

You guys do realize disc brakes don't have to be hydros?
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-12-20, 05:57 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Damn, most of you guys must be running some cheap ass rim brakes

https://www.amazon.com/TRP-SPYRE-All...22031577&psc=1

Arguably one of the best mechanical disc brakes made, come in either MTB or road bike pull ratios, less expensive than a discount priced 105 caliper.

Old 07-12-20, 06:41 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As i have stated for a long time disc brakes are more logical. They dont wear out the rims! Also a bike designed for disc brakes can have stronger lighter and more aero rims.

I am old enough to remember when riders were against click shifting back in the middle 80s. Some cyclist seem to be some of the most anti progress people around. Witness they are still riding a machine that was invented around 1890, and dont want to change.

And lastly everyone might as well embrace discs brakes, because the manufactures have.

Last edited by rydabent; 07-12-20 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-12-20, 07:04 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
And be some kind of Johnny Lunchpail?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-12-20, 07:09 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I come to this with the experience of a former racer, from about 1997 until 2006 I think.

All road bikes had rim brakes at the time. We also rode 23-25mm tires and occasionally 20mm. So it was different.

At the​​​​the start of the race, you threw your spare wheels in the back of a truck. If you got a flat or wrecked, the truck was there for you to grab a wheel, it didn't have to be yours and it was understood that anyone could grab a wheel. It got pit back in the pile at the end of the race. Basically the only thing to pay attention to was Campy or Shimano. Depending on new releases, it didn't hurt to count cogs either. In general though, you could finish, and even still do very well on some strangers wheel.

I have disc brakes on my mountain bike. It's hard enough to keep them from rubbing at all. I swear barometric pressure causes light rubbing some days. It's totally possible to get two wheelsets if you're very careful. It would be pure luck or impossible to do a neutral wheel change at the amateur level. No yellow bike to swap out.

I don't race anymore so don't know how it is, I just can't imagine that neutral wheels is even worth it anymore. I dunno.

So that's one reason to dislike them.

On the other hand, they work very well. My basic Shimano hydro discs stop my mountain bike amazing. I have no doubt they'd stop a road bike very well too.

All that said, I've cornered on wet mountain roads. My lifetime max has been 58mph. I've gone shoulder to shoulder with dozens of others. And I've done some of the steepest stuff on carbon rims. This is all with rim brakes. They do work. Quite well actually. I wouldn't argue that they're better but they certainly aren't a liability.

Wider tires, better modulation, and bikes that are still light with wide tires+ heavier hubs + more spokes is pretty hard to argue with. Still seems a lot like marketing to me.

​​​​
If you have a properly set up set of disc brakes, you should be able to take the wheel out, shove a tire lever between the pads to push back the pistons and insert a new wheel with rotor and have it re-center with a pull of the levers. Disc brakes are self adjusting. If your brakes don't do that, you may need to have them serviced.
Old 07-13-20, 08:48 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by rydabent
I am old enough to remember when riders were against click shifting back in the middle 80s. Some cyclist seem to be some of the most anti progress people around. Witness they are still riding a machine that was invented around 1890, and dont want to change.
Because that design works well even in the 21st century. Disregarding the rim brake argument, coaster brakes are still a thing in many 1-speed and 3-speed adult sized bikes. Not sure if that brake design will go away completely as it seems sufficient for the slower speed bikes that coaster brakes are used on.
Old 07-13-20, 08:48 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

And lastly everyone might as well embrace discs brakes, because the manufactures have.

Next thing you know ABS will be added to hydraulic disc brakes. I'm no weight weenie, but that ought to add some weight.
Old 07-13-20, 08:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Next thing you know ABS will be added to hydraulic disc brakes. I'm no weight weenie, but that ought to add some weight.
It's already showing up on Bosch motor mid drive E-Bikes..
Old 07-13-20, 08:55 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
It's already showing up on Bosch motor mid drive E-Bikes..
You know, I figured I was late to the news announcement.
Old 07-13-20, 09:10 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
As i have stated for a long time disc brakes are more logical. They dont wear out the rims! Also a bike designed for disc brakes can have stronger lighter and more aero rims.

I don't mind ruining rims by braking with them. If I can get a decent rim for $40 or so, It's not that big a deal to lace it up to the olde spokes and hub. It's just 45 minutes to an hour of work. I'll probably never have a road bike with discs.
Old 07-13-20, 09:56 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Obviously y'all have put some thought into your responses. Appreciate that. But I think I owe you guys an apology. The disc brakes on the Canyon I've been looking at are really only one aspect of it that drew my attention. A more stable, comfortable geometry and the gearing right out of the box are probably more important to me. The Campy Record EPS V3 currently on my BMC doesn't offer an economical path to lower gearing than the 34-29 combo where as the Canyon sports a 34-30 combo stock and can go to a 34-32 for < $100.

In any case, I got word this morning that they have their Endurance CF SL Disc 8.0 in my size in stock. Placed the order with the wife's blessing shortly after that. So now I just wait....
Likes For bmcer:
Old 07-13-20, 10:24 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Why do you want brakes that are heavier, less aero, uglier, don't stop your bike any faster, more expensive, and that will squeal like a stuck pig? Good question.
Because rim brakes are going away. And rightfully so.

Look at the new road bike offerings from all of the major manufacturers. Rim brakes are going away.
Old 07-13-20, 10:47 AM
WhyFi

ABS for rim brakes had been around for years.
Old 07-13-20, 10:56 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
ABS for rim brakes had been around for years.
I wonder how it's implemented?
Old 07-13-20, 11:10 AM
WhyFi

I wonder how it's implemented?
Some kind of weights that project out in front of the pads.
Old 07-13-20, 11:13 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Some kind of weights that project out in front of the pads.
There's also the attenuator noodles for Vbrakes. Usually only on front brake.

Not true ABS, more like AOTB.

​​​​​​
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.