Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I just thought this was pretty cool

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I just thought this was pretty cool

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 07:37 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
All good points RiddleOfSteel. I've had to update my 8 speed Campagnolo Record gruppo to 10 speed when replacement parts went from expensive to quite hard to find, and now watch the same process happening to the 10 speed parts, so learning a lesson I am buying back up supplies for the decades ahead.

On the Di2 I have a different take. To me cable shifting has reached a pinnacle and is nearly bomb proof, while electronic shifting adds several issues.

Switches and mechanisms, when you push a button you are activating a switch, which in turn must activate some mechanism to move the front/rear derailleurs. Electronics fail and are not roadside fixable like a broken cable or a derailleur where simple tools and a spare cable will suffice (and yes some carry these particularly on long tours).

Then there is the support question, the million dollar exotic cars of today face this issue just as the electronic shifters will, where will you get the parts to keep the electronics, as they wear out/fail. working? Then if there is code involved/chip sets to run the shifter will the manufacturers treat their product like your last cell phone, as a throw away product? This is the greatest virtue of vintage bikes they come from an era where you threw away nothing and instead just fixed it (I have a 30 year old 800watt Kenmore mixer built the same way and have the entire back up parts for the gear drive and electric motor rebuild-as long as there's electricity this will work).

Finally the issue of batteries and weight, can you really trust a battery on a longer ride, or, as do most who need their electronic gizmo to work, will you carry a back up battery or cordless battery charger so in the event of a battery failure/drain you can still make your electronic device work. And batteries are still extra weight, a lot more than a spare coil of shifter cable.

These complexities inherent in the electronic shifters will keep me home with brifters or barcons and cable until I see them bettered. Perhaps in a race bike they make sense where the support and back up is no issue, but for now I'm happy with cables, though no luddite I love our 200mm cable disc brakes on our tandem.

Last edited by since6; 04-08-18 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-08-18, 12:21 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Thankfully, all this stuff is well inside the internet age, so the information has a lot better chance of still being available down the road.
Unless, of course, the photos were saved to Photobucket before last year's big *****

DD
Old 04-08-18, 01:06 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Its a neat piece of NOS/NIB, but everyone of these I have come across has been priced well beyond my abilities to afford. Building up from a frame-set, or restoring a complete bicycle has my interest, getting my head and hands into a project, and bringing them to life is what makes me love C&V bikes.

To those that have been fortunate enough to score one of these unicorns, chapeau sir(s)/mam((s)).

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-08-18, 01:44 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Unless, of course, the photos were saved to Photobucket before last year's big *****

DD
Totally. Also, FB somehow just 'forgets' that it has its photos linked to here. Sooooo, I best post things on Pedal Room (which I've not been on in some time).