Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you say something? (bike path racers)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Would you say something? (bike path racers)

Old 08-22-18, 07:12 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
This topic gets me all triggered.
where can a cyclist train ??

If we train on roads we can be harassed by drivers , pulled over by cops just for going down the road .

if we train on bike paths we are too fast or dangerous . even though on a bike path bikes are primary traffic and most pedestrians break the rules of path, block the path , take up both lanes . let their kids use the path as a playground . use the path as a dog park with 80 foot leashes . cause cyclist to move and weave rather than make way .

I train on all kinds of paths , but i see some of the dumbest people on bike paths . im literally going strait in a line , i have never got in anyones way but at least once a run i have to dodge a dummy breaking the rules of the path .
there have been so many people ive almost collided with because they have no clue what they are doing and they dont respect the rules.

Ive gone fast ive gone slow but no matter what i come across a person not respecting the lanes wondering around like a zombie , doing what ever they feel .

If every one has the right to use the path does that give them the right to do what ever they want . does that mean i cant ride hard and push myself .
You can't just do as you want. There are all types of people using the trail It doesn't matter what other people do. All that matters is what you do. How will you deal with it when your hurt or worse kill a small child?
Old 08-22-18, 08:10 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
The thing is, pedestrians have the undisputed right-of-way on a path. That means in case of an accident, it's your fault no matter what stupid thing they were doing.
Old 08-22-18, 08:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Start flagging all the segements as dangerous. If they aren't getting a Strava reward, they'll likely move on.
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Wut??? How many people pay attention to Strava? The only time I might use it is figuring out a good route when touring in a unfamiliar area. I never use it at home because I know the roads.
The kind of people who ride dangerously and selfishly in apartment complexes or on MUPs are the kinds of people who care about winning KOMs on MUP s and in apartment complexes. It is like a milk bone to a dog .... or more accurately, a fix to an addict. It gives them the self-esteem they cannot earn through living life right.

Flagging segments takes away the only reward associated with going fast on those particular stretches of road or path or parking lot.
Old 08-22-18, 10:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The kind of people who ride dangerously and selfishly in apartment complexes or on MUPs are the kinds of people who care about winning KOMs on MUP s and in apartment complexes. It is like a milk bone to a dog .... or more accurately, a fix to an addict. It gives them the self-esteem they cannot earn through living life right.

Flagging segments takes away the only reward associated with going fast on those particular stretches of road or path or parking lot.

You can pry my KOM for Happy Kiddy Day Care from my cold dead hands. Take that, Big Wheel Billy!
Old 08-22-18, 11:14 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How do peds have the right of way . what law says this . on the path i rides peds are to the left bikes to. the right .
Old 08-22-18, 11:22 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
How do peds have the right of way . what law says this . on the path i rides peds are to the left bikes to. the right .
I've ridden on all sorts of paths. Including a few that have clear ordinances or state laws that stipulate where and how folks shall use such paths.

But, whatever paperwork might exist at city hall of the state capitol, I'd think there's always the little caveats we all learned back when: safe for conditions; and, faster travelers accommodate slower ones.

Doesn't cover deliberately reckless, let alone wanton, behaviors, no. But it's hard to justify being behind someone in full clear view of the person, going at "top" speed and disregarding the possibility (even likelihood) that the person will be a bit rattled upon being rapidly overtaken by someone just a foot or two away. One of the things about multi-use paths. Which isn't all that different than, say, motor vehicles in a standard motor roadway, with following vehicles, overtaking speeds, general requirement to still drive safe for conditions.

I'm all for standing on one's "right of way" claim. But it only goes so far, in practice, when a situation of a following/overtaking person faces someone slower. On a MUP or a roadway or anywhere, really. Passing is fine. Safely, though.
Old 08-22-18, 11:36 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What gives peds theright of way on a bike path, what state or fed law says so ?
on my path the sign says peds to the left bikes to the right and there are no shortage of violators . so its ok for a peds to block the path and just chill ?. its ok for peds and their kids to walk where ever they want do what ever they want ?. thats obsurd .
if im using the path in my legal lane and strike a person not in their legal lane it mosty certainly would not be my fault. Like if i was on the road not in my legal lane or not following actual laws and got struck by a car it would be my fault . and if a car violated its legal movement options and struck a person or bike it would be at fault .
a cyclist cant be respisible for other peoples safety at all times . i personaly have never presented a danger to anyone i stay in my lane and im constantly assualted by idiots doing what ever they please . i dont do what ever i please i go on the path and use it and thats it . if im moving faster than others thats ok you can do that. Ive never blocked the path or hit blind corners racing . ive never brought my dog to the path on a million foot leash and let it run across two lanes . ive seen high level cyclist on the path moving fast side by side in one lane and then ive seen rookies going three wide across both lanes making it impossible to pass .
the amount of idiots creating dangerous situtions is the real issue that cant be blamed on a certaint style of rider . its like we should let stupid people rule our society , oh wait , too late . if your path has lots of rules and laws , and is crowded then thats up to you to follow the rules. my path is wide open very strait , very fast and fun .
if people on the road did what people do on my path it would look silly . 3 cars side by side down the street could you imagine , dogs walking across the yellow lines as you drove by . people in general need to be more aware and not put themselves or their kids in an unsafe position , a kid already died on the path wasnt from a bike was from a car , did they blame the parents or the car no they blamed the path , idiots rule the earth now everything is stupud and backwards ....
Old 08-22-18, 12:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Signs from the East Bay Path--note the one on the second row. https://jimstrailresources.wordpress...4-trail-signs/

I do most of my riding in Mass., and all of the MUPs have signs all over the place indicating bikes must yield. I've only ridden in RI twice, so I don't remember how many of these yield signs there are, but I remember seeing at least one.
Old 08-22-18, 12:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

What gives peds theright of way on a bike path, what state or fed law says so ?
on my path the sign says peds to the left bikes to the right and there are no shortage of violators . so its ok for a peds to block the path and just chill ?. its ok for peds and their kids to walk where ever they want do what ever they want ?. thats obsurd .
if im using the path in my legal lane and strike a person not in their legal lane it mosty certainly would not be my fault. Like if i was on the road not in my legal lane or not following actual laws and got struck by a car it would be my fault . and if a car violated its legal movement options and struck a person or bike it would be at fault .
a cyclist cant be respisible for other peoples safety at all times . i personaly have never presented a danger to anyone i stay in my lane and im constantly assualted by idiots doing what ever they please . i dont do what ever i please i go on the path and use it and thats it . if im moving faster than others thats ok you can do that. Ive never blocked the path or hit blind corners racing . ive never brought my dog to the path on a million foot leash and let it run across two lanes . ive seen high level cyclist on the path moving fast side by side in one lane and then ive seen rookies going three wide across both lanes making it impossible to pass .
the amount of idiots creating dangerous situtions is the real issue that cant be blamed on a certaint style of rider . its like we should let stupid people rule our society , oh wait , too late . if your path has lots of rules and laws , and is crowded then thats up to you to follow the rules. my path is wide open very strait , very fast and fun .
if people on the road did what people do on my path it would look silly . 3 cars side by side down the street could you imagine , dogs walking across the yellow lines as you drove by . people in general need to be more aware and not put themselves or their kids in an unsafe position , a kid already died on the path wasnt from a bike was from a car , did they blame the parents or the car no they blamed the path , idiots rule the earth now everything is stupud and backwards ....

Just looked up Providence ordinances, and if I were you, I don't think I'd want to call attention to them. No specific references to bike paths, but there is a speed limit of 15 mph in parks. Also, there's an ordinance that requires you to have a bell on your bike and "such signal bell shall always be sounded with several rapid strokes whenever the rider is approaching any person or any vehicle, and shall be used in all cases where there is any danger of collision." Have fun ringing your bell every time you pass a car!
Old 08-22-18, 12:45 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
It's sad when people forget that they are human first, cyclists second. Of course it's all about ego, and ego need is driven by insecurity.

The problem as noted by many is enforcement. At the end of the day, social pressure plays a big role. I ride a MUP where there have been fatal collisions, and as a near-daily presence there, by far the worst actors are cyclists. And it's almost always the 'serious' cyclists. Somehow, rules, are for little people. And these idiots who endanger everyone else are the same people who show up to white-bike candlelight vigils.

So, you know, I yell at them. I figure if they don't care about others' safety, nor others' comfort on the MUP, perhaps a little discomfort of their own might wake them up. Yeah, it's gatekeeping on my part, but really, pacelining past a kid on training wheels? That's a true story, that I saw last Sunday around 11:30 a.m. Shame on you, all of you.

Speak out when you see stuff that's seriously wrong.

Edit: I've lurked a long time; first post because this is a very, very serious subject, and please see: fatal collisions.
Old 08-22-18, 01:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Danhedonia
It's sad when people forget that they are human first, cyclists second. Of course it's all about ego, and ego need is driven by insecurity.

The problem as noted by many is enforcement. At the end of the day, social pressure plays a big role. I ride a MUP where there have been fatal collisions, and as a near-daily presence there, by far the worst actors are cyclists. And it's almost always the 'serious' cyclists. Somehow, rules, are for little people. And these idiots who endanger everyone else are the same people who show up to white-bike candlelight vigils.

So, you know, I yell at them. I figure if they don't care about others' safety, nor others' comfort on the MUP,

perhaps a little discomfort of their own might wake them up. Yeah, it's gatekeeping on my part, but really, pacelining past a kid on training wheels? That's a true story, that I saw last Sunday around 11:30 a.m. Shame on you, all of you.

Speak out when you see stuff that's seriously wrong.

Edit: I've lurked a long time; first post because this is a very, very serious subject, and please see: fatal collisions.

Welcome to BF. Good first post. The only time I think a pace line bigger than 2 riders is appropriate on a MUP is if they go out at about 6 in the morning, when the path is essentially empty. Otherwise, they're operating in an unpredictable environment with basically no margin for error.

And pace line or not, anyone who passes kids fast is a jerk.If the kid is under 12 or so, I try to say hi to them to make sure they understand I didn't think they were doing anything wrong when I told them I was passing on their left. They're often so nervous, I generally try to slow down to about 10-12 mph as I pass. Last Sunday, I had to tell one nervous kid I didn't want him to get off the path (I was way over on the other side of the path gradually passing his family)--I can't imagine how scared that kid would've gotten if a pace line had zipped past him and what might have happened if he panicked.

Great screen name by the way!
Old 08-22-18, 02:21 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Personaly have never presented a danger to anyone i stay in my lane and im constantly assualted by idiots doing what ever they please . i dont do what ever i please i go on the path and use it and thats it . if im moving faster than others thats ok you can do that.
So I can't ride side by side with my wife and people can't walk in groups because you've got a time to beat? Slow down, announce you want to pass and you might find you suffer from less assaults.
Old 08-22-18, 02:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by kayakindude
So I can't ride side by side with my wife and people can't walk in groups because you've got a time to beat? Slow down, announce you want to pass and you might find you suffer from less assaults.
And my wife and i cannot drive side-by-side on a two lane road? And my friends cannot have a party on the highway? is this America?
Old 08-22-18, 02:27 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Don't feed the trolls.
Old 08-22-18, 02:36 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Same problem occurs on organized rides. We had a wonderful ride, east of here in Lancaster called the Covered Bridge Ride. It was a ride for everyone from 5 to 85 and beyond. Way too many morons trying to make the best time, riding in peletons the whole bit. One year there was a peleton that wrecked. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt and the only people involved were the idiots in the peleton.

About a year or so later, I was about 3/4 into the ride. An ambulance went flying by me. I approached the accident scene just as the ambulance was pulling away. Apparently someone tried to . make a 90 degree turn at a high rate of speed. He didn't make it. He crossed the road and entered a gravel parking lot. He launched himself over the handlebars. The ambulance was transporting him to the morgue and not the hospital. That was the last year I participated in that ride.

And what really made it bad is he had plenty of road in front of him. No need to slam on the brakes. Just slow down, turn around and make the turn. But now he is dead just because he was trying to make the ride in some kind of record time. Good news is he only took himself out.

Last edited by spinnaker; 08-22-18 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 02:55 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Don't feed the trolls.
Dude, why would I starve myself? I admit I can use losing a few pounds though .......
Old 08-22-18, 03:29 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
In regards to the statement that cops have to “ cite or arrest” they also have an additional option in their pocket. It’s called “warn & admonish” just that. You tell the offenders that there action could lead to a summons and the cops are letting them go with a warning. Such a large group of riders it took the cop 45 minutes to warn everyone 😁

Old 08-22-18, 03:45 PM
Maelochs

As a person who has benefited from judicious police warnings on several occasions ,... I am grateful officers choose such an option whether it officially exists or not .... of course , in traffic law it is official ... but in other situations also I have been given some breaks, and they were always much appreciated.
Old 08-22-18, 03:48 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Good point about kids on a MUP. Some cyclists and others( rollerbladers) seem to forget the Multi use part of the term MUP.
Old 08-22-18, 04:06 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Dude, why would I starve myself? I admit I can use losing a few pounds though .......
No troll here, just a concerned rider who frequents the EB path and only uses it as a racetrack when traffic is light. Multi use means just that, it's not a road. I ride the road for the most part when I want to push my speed.