Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Will anyone be racing CX this fall?

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 07-02-20, 10:43 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts

My local series has been cancelled. Big races in neighboring states in the midwest have also been cancelled. It seems likely that CX Nationals will be cancelled as well.
All totally understandable to me, given our current outlook on COVID.

I'm curious... does anyone live in an area that is still planning on hosting CX racing this fall?

Assuming the answer is "no", do you have any plans to stay race-fit for the next 15 months or so until Fall 2021 seasons start up? Normally I'd be coming up with a training plan by now, dialing in my equipment, doing a bunch of intervals and practicing skills, etc. Instead, I'm just doing a bunch of solo road and gravel rides this summer and focusing more on enjoying long rides. I'm not worrying about my pace and just trying to use biking as a stress reliever. Just wondering what others are up to.
Old 07-02-20, 02:11 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Its looking like we'll have a handful of races in SE South Dakota. Between now and then there's some gravel and MTB races that are on the calendar.

As far as motivation to stay fit (other than not gaining weight), I've been riding 5-6 days a week on the road with a little gravel here and there with the possibility of at least *some* CX this fall being the incentive. I live for cross season. CX-ing my fingers.
Old 07-02-20, 02:14 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Our local promoter just posted on IG and FB that they're trying to come up with a way of doing some races under the restrictions. I'm guessing it will look more like a dirt TT than a traditional CX race.
Old 07-02-20, 02:56 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
As far as motivation to stay fit (other than not gaining weight), I've been riding 5-6 days a week on the road with a little gravel here and there with the possibility of at least *some* CX this fall being the incentive. I live for cross season. CX-ing my fingers.

Additionally, you can take on silly racing adjacent projects like a mount that allows me to fit my bike (sans wheels) in the back of my Mazda in a tidy fashion.
Old 07-06-20, 12:22 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Our local promoter just posted on IG and FB that they're trying to come up with a way of doing some races under the restrictions. I'm guessing it will look more like a dirt TT than a traditional CX race.
Sounds interesting.

In past years I've been able to continue riding CX courses from races held in local parks for several weeks before the grass takes back over and obscures the lines. Even without the tape and barriers, there's still usually a pretty good track worn in and it's a fun way to practice and track lap times on Strava.

I've been wondering if something like that could be set up this fall to gin up some competition among local racers.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 11-01-20, 11:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We just had our first CX race weekend of the year. The promoter had to comply with a lot of restrictions imposed by the county: limited fields, contactless registration, social distanced starts, masks on unless racing on course. But it went well. Fingers crossed that we will be able to race again a few more times this year.

And as a bonus, my son and I both podiumed: he had two seconds in the juniors and the single speed B race; I got third in the 30 minute open race. Awards were custom masks. So that was pretty awesome.
Likes For caloso:
Old 11-11-20, 07:50 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Kisscross and Northern Michigan have had a few races this season.