Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's with the Weight Weenies?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 06:59 PM
IcySmooth52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Remember when a bike that was less than 20 lbs was great? These days that's easy to get at $2k. Now less than 15 lbs is the new goal it seems, but you have to spend exponentially more to save more weight. Have you noticed these people could save money and more weight by loosing it from their body? From what I see on the road these weight weenies are ridiculous. Anyone else noticing this fad going to a new level?

P.S. Remember that with motor sports they mostly upgrade for engine power instead of weight savings. We can upgrade engine power by spending time on our bikes (and not money).
Old 03-16-11, 07:03 PM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Facepalm.
Old 03-16-11, 07:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Some people have more disposeable income than time to train.
Old 03-16-11, 07:09 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't understand something. Therefore it is dumb.
Old 03-16-11, 07:13 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySmooth52
Remember when a bike that was less than 20 lbs was great? These days that's easy to get at $2k. Now less than 15 lbs is the new goal it seems, but you have to spend exponentially more to save more weight. Have you noticed these people could save money and more weight by loosing it from their body? From what I see on the road these weight weenies are ridiculous. Anyone else noticing this fad going to a new level?

P.S. Remember that with motor sports they mostly upgrade for engine power instead of weight savings. We can upgrade engine power by spending time on our bikes (and not money).
Your kidding right? As long as there have been motors there have been folks dropping them into lighter weight bodies not to mention all the factory built "hot rods".
Old 03-16-11, 07:15 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Are you serious? Most motorsports have engine limitations, such as a certain diameter of opening for air intake that they must use. Weight is a huge factor. Maybe nascar doesn't care, I dont know. Hopefully that isnt what you're talking about.

Anyway, most bikers with nice bikes here look pretty fit and lean. Makes perfect sense to upgrade the bike, plus for some it adds extra incentive to go out and train even harder.
Old 03-16-11, 07:16 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
it's a hobby.

some hobbies are costly.
motor sports being one of them.
Old 03-16-11, 07:16 PM
OldPilot

Bikes: 2007 Giant OCR C3, 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple & 2002 Diamondback Response

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I have more weight to lose before the bike needs it......but for those lucky people at 6% or less body fat losing weight on the bike makes sense.I don't begrudge those lucky people that can use that advantage...I'm a little jealous...okay a lot jealous, but if they need and/or can use the advantage go for it. For me, I need to still work on the engine before I put the bike on a weight loss program.
Old 03-16-11, 07:18 PM
Smallguy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also some people just like nice things

a 5 dollar watch tells time but people still like Swiss watches
Old 03-16-11, 07:18 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
Are you serious? Most motorsports have engine limitations, such as a certain diameter of opening for air intake that they must use. Weight is a huge factor. Maybe nascar doesn't care, I dont know. Hopefully that isnt what you're talking about.

Anyway, most bikers with nice bikes here look pretty fit and lean. Makes perfect sense to upgrade the bike, plus for some it adds extra incentive to go out and train even harder.
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Your kidding right? As long as there have been motors there have been folks dropping them into lighter weight bodies not to mention all the factory built "hot rods".
I said MOSTLY upgrade engine power. I know they try to cut weight as well, but the engine power is a priority. That is the point I'm trying to make. Power is priority, not weight.
Old 03-16-11, 07:21 PM
ChucklesKY

Bikes: 2010 Trek 2.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm confused. . . .
Old 03-16-11, 07:25 PM
ChucklesKY

Bikes: 2010 Trek 2.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChucklesKY
I'm confused. . . .
It's an obsessive hobby. Nothing logical about it. . .completely. This is coming from me, a guy who owns an aluminum frame bike with 105 components. But someday I hope to have a bike that weighs 13.7lbs.! One can dream. . .
Old 03-16-11, 07:26 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
When I used to teach autocrossing many newbies would ask quesions about which modifications they should make or what tires to buy. Seldom did they ask about precision driving classes or car control classes. I usually answered "work on the driver first". I guess it's the same thing with bikes.
Old 03-16-11, 07:28 PM
azshtr

Bikes: 1973 Shwinn Super Sport - 1981 Colnago - 2006 Cannondale CAAD 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are helping the economy... now go find a few grams to loose.
Old 03-16-11, 07:35 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I said MOSTLY upgrade engine power. I know they try to cut weight as well, but the engine power is a priority. That is the point I'm trying to make. Power is priority, not weight.
And I say you are misguided. Plenty of super-light low horsepower cars that can really move. Come on, free up your mind and accept that the truth is no where near as simple as you are trying to make it.
Old 03-16-11, 07:44 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ the above it right. its really about power to weight ratio

i weigh 120lb on a good day so yeah to me it is worth it to save weight on my bike. not only does it give me slight performance increases but also it gives me a lot of enjoyment to build up my bikes and make them lighter. i do work on my "engine" too though as i ride almost everyday

Last edited by M_FactorX19; 03-16-11 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-16-11, 08:20 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say on top of this comes traction with out hooking up to the ground all the HP does you no good at all if you can't get it to the ground.
Old 03-16-11, 08:21 PM
"Fred"
Got Hills, I do!

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 9.9 - Trek Supercaliber 9.9.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I think the OP is jealous as most people who complain about WW are. Yes it does cost some money (a lot in some cases) but some people have that money.

I am 42 I own my own business and yes I ride a $12,000 11 pound bike. Does that make me wrong well that is a matter of opinion. I can afford it so what is the problem. As a matter of fact I can ride as well. I am 5' 10' 145 pounds I have done a sub 4 hour century and I love to ride. does a ww bike make me faster well maybe a very very little on the climbs but that is not why I do it. I do it because I enjoy it, so get over it and go ride your 20 lbs bike and be happy with it. Quit complaining about what others like and do what you like. If we were all the same than this would be one boring world.

Just my opinion!!
Old 03-16-11, 08:48 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by "Fred"
I think the OP is jealous as most people who complain about WW are. Yes it does cost some money (a lot in some cases) but some people have that money.

I am 42 I own my own business and yes I ride a $12,000 11 pound bike. Does that make me wrong well that is a matter of opinion. I can afford it so what is the problem. As a matter of fact I can ride as well. I am 5' 10' 145 pounds I have done a sub 4 hour century and I love to ride. does a ww bike make me faster well maybe a very very little on the climbs but that is not why I do it. I do it because I enjoy it, so get over it and go ride your 20 lbs bike and be happy with it. Quit complaining about what others like and do what you like. If we were all the same than this would be one boring world.

Just my opinion!!
I ride a whole carbon bike of a decent weight (just under 18 lbs) and don't think upgrading parts is bad, just what people upgrade them for is wrong. I think BB30 is great, it stiffens your drivetrain. People want it because it's lighter. I miss the stems with only two screws because they distribute the pressure evenly, unlike the four screw stems everywhere.

Upgrade your headset for nicer bearings.
Upgrade your drivetrain for smoother shifting, not because it's cooler and carbon
Upgrade your 'cockpit parts' (stems, handlebars, seatposts, etc.) for what fits you. Stem length, handlebar shape and width.
Upgrade your saddle because it's more comfy in the personal spots.
Upgrade your wheels because they roll faster through rim weight (where weight DOES matter the most), enclosed bearings, and aerodynamics.

It gets to a point when you're only being excessive and the sport is just a hobby of having the lightest bike.
Old 03-16-11, 08:51 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why does everybody keep buying Porsches when OBVSLY my Volkswagen is tits. Jeez
Old 03-16-11, 08:57 PM
kwakster928

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who gives a s**t. backed up by their legs or not, how people spend their money is none of my business. they can have a $15,000, 10 pound bike but slow as hell. just shut up and ride. just pedal faster on your 20 pounder.
Old 03-16-11, 08:59 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
People have different values than you - so what? Does it negatively impact your life in some way? No, I'd wager.

BTW, I'm not a two-star chef, but I have Japanese carbon steel knives and a nice collection of cookware - is that okay?
Old 03-16-11, 09:06 PM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's people like us that make it possible for people like you to buy used stuff on Ebay. Well us and wrenches selling their employee discount stuff. GL
Old 03-16-11, 09:06 PM
bike_boy
Lula Mae = 15 lbs.

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 6.5 w/SRAM Red 22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is OP saying WW = OCD ?
Old 03-16-11, 09:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bike_boy
Is OP saying WW = OCD ?
I think that the OP is shaking his fist and telling people to get off his lawn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.