Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Upgrading single speed/fixie wheels

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Upgrading single speed/fixie wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 10:09 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
LET THOSE THAT RIDE DECIDE!

Old 11-14-17, 02:19 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Wow. OK, have fun tiger.
Old 11-14-17, 02:51 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"GIVE ME ADVICE....BUT NOT ADVICE THAT COULD SAVE MY LIFE THOUGH"

You're talking to people who have ridden fixed/SS for YEARS. They know what they're talking about, and have probably crashed due to their own stupidity/fault of others a hundred times over. If they say get a front brake, they're saying it for your own good, not to be picky or start an argument.

Stop being such a snowflake, put a front brake on (Or not, because ultimately its your own choice!) and making a scene.
Don't ask for help and throw your toys out your pram when they do.
Old 11-14-17, 03:52 AM
georgek54

Bikes: 80's Eddy Merckx, Scott Addict, Felt tri-bike (all custom parts) Rocky Mountain Team Only Pro mountain bike, Kulana Cruiser, 6KU single/fixie, 1950 Schwinn Panther rat rod cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I appreciate the wheel advice. I didnt ask for anything more. Name calling on top of that? Really? Maybe Ill rename my bike snowflake to honor your intelligence.
Old 11-14-17, 04:18 AM
checoles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by georgek54
I appreciate the wheel advice. I didnt ask for anything more. Name calling on top of that? Really? Maybe Ill rename my bike snowflake to honor your intelligence.
No, you're quite right, you didn't ask for anything more. But in the interest of you safety they've recommended you put a front brake on. Going out of their way for your best interests. They didn't have to tell you, but they did. Imagine if you came back to this forum in two weeks time with a busted arm because you couldn't stop fast enough into oncoming and unexpected traffic, and we all said "well, if you have a front brake, that probably wouldn't of happened! Didn't you ask if you needed one before riding??"

Reacting the way you did is extremely childish, (what? are you the single speed police?) hence my response.

It's like having a go at a car mechanic because he's advised you to change your tyres as they've got no tread left, and you telling him to mind his own business.

But look, it's your bike and your rules. We give advice based on what we see and what we've done. It's up to you to take it on board or ignore it. But calling people out on it and getting salty doesn't encourage them to help you out again.
Old 11-14-17, 09:32 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Has anyone mentioned that the OP should get a front brake?
Old 11-14-17, 09:38 AM
checoles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Would you mind just messaging him and finding out? I'm not entirely sure anyone's noticed, but I didn't want to tell him how to be safe...
Old 11-14-17, 10:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I was apparently too subtle...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-15-17, 07:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Originally Posted by georgek54
I imagine if you went into a restaurant and they offered you a free dessert you would say "I ordered the spaghetti marinara and a baked potato and nothing else, don't you dare bring me free dessert"

The whole idea of the forum is to not only hang out with fellow cyclists but also to gain from their knowledge. You are probably a young kid who like some young kids thinks they know everything. I was one at one point and I am sure the vast majority of us here were there at one point and a few new kids who are still there. Let me tell you, being hardheaded isn't useful even the hardest of heads will crack open when they crash! You don't know everything just like everyone else on the planet and when someone gives you useful advice that could save your life you should be grateful they gave it to you whether you are smart enough to take it or not.

If you are worried about having a lame front brake, go with something like the eeBrake from Cane Creek and have something cool and light and with really awesome stopping power. If you are worried about price you can get a 105 caliper pretty cheaply or find some used stuff or heck I might even have a front brake you can have for the cost of shipping and handling because I am a nice guy. If you want something with some color Dia Compe BRS100s are the ticket. Want hydraulic, Magura and SRAM make caliper brakes for that (or at least Magura did). Looking to support 'merican made, Paul Component Engineering has you covered and Kool Stop is there for your pads. Plus there are a ton of different levers on the market ranging from super light to super cheap that you can find for all sorts of different configurations of bars.

If I had to pick only one brake to have on a bike it would be the front for sure. You can whine and complain about the advice I have given you but I highly suggest you take it. I have been working in bike shops for 6+ years or so and have been riding for a lot longer and basically eat sleep and breathe bikes these days. There are people on this forum who are way more qualified then I and would and have given you similar advice.
Old 11-16-17, 07:42 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
For whatever it's worth, back when I was devouring every English-language cycling manual published between 1930 and 1960 that I could lay hands on to collect information on fixed-gear road cycling, I kept running into references to British cycling law from c.1936 to the present, which mandates a brake for both wheels on a bicycle. A fixed-gear with a lockring is considered a brake by the old British code, but there is still a front brake requirement. You can find lots of photos of British time-trialists burning down the road on fixed-gears with a lone front caliper.

For that matter, look up old photos of children riding bicycles in the U.K. and you'll see a major difference from the bikes pushed on kids in the U.S.A. - their bikes have front brakes. It's just physics, and running with a rear brake only might make for a kewl skid but it will never stop as quickly or as well as a front brake will.

I mention the British laws simply because the U.K. takes bicycles seriously as transportation, as opposed to much U.S. cycling law, which for decades treated us like children on toys.
Old 11-16-17, 09:24 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I imagine if you went into a restaurant and they offered you a free dessert you would say "I ordered the spaghetti marinara and a baked potato and nothing else, don't you dare bring me free dessert"
Not to side with this kook but that's already a crapload of carbs. I'd probably pass on dessert too.
Old 11-16-17, 09:32 AM
checoles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
For whatever it's worth, back when I was devouring every English-language cycling manual published between 1930 and 1960 that I could lay hands on to collect information on fixed-gear road cycling, I kept running into references to British cycling law from c.1936 to the present, which mandates a brake for both wheels on a bicycle. A fixed-gear with a lockring is considered a brake by the old British code, but there is still a front brake requirement. You can find lots of photos of British time-trialists burning down the road on fixed-gears with a lone front caliper.

For that matter, look up old photos of children riding bicycles in the U.K. and you'll see a major difference from the bikes pushed on kids in the U.S.A. - their bikes have front brakes. It's just physics, and running with a rear brake only might make for a kewl skid but it will never stop as quickly or as well as a front brake will.

I mention the British laws simply because the U.K. takes bicycles seriously as transportation, as opposed to much U.S. cycling law, which for decades treated us like children on toys.
On another note, relating to what you said there, the UK is pretty good for cycling, I'm proud to ride here. We have great countrysides, cycle routes both on and off road, but I'd love to go to America to cycle. But as you say, it's a bit more risky, and they're not as respected.
The ultimate place to cycle that I know of is the Scandinavian countries. They have separate roads for cyclists everywhere, and cyclists have right of way EVERYWHERE. Its cycling heaven!
Old 11-16-17, 09:35 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Who orders pasta and a spud?
Old 11-16-17, 10:13 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Vegans.
Old 11-16-17, 10:28 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Vegans.
It still doesn't make sense. They are too similar.

That would be like you or I ordering a rib eye, medium rare, with a side of pork chop.
Old 11-16-17, 10:49 AM
checoles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It still doesn't make sense. They are too similar.

That would be like you or I ordering a rib eye, medium rare, with a side of pork chop.
You say that like I wouldn't...
Old 11-16-17, 09:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Apparently this guy. I have at points in my life eaten potatoes and a pasta dish but not often. I should have said a spinach salad or something...whatever it doesn't matter. That all wasn't the point
Old 11-16-17, 09:25 PM
scoho

Bikes: steel track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-16-17, 09:29 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I eat pasta and potatoes all the time. Carbs bro.
Old 11-16-17, 10:15 PM
hardboiled718

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
perogies are like potatoes wrapped in dough. carbs ftw
Old 11-16-17, 10:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by hardboiled718
perogies are like potatoes wrapped in dough. carbs ftw
Perogies are the shiznit! Carbs are pretty primo.
Old 11-17-17, 08:57 AM
diricks0n

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Isn't gnocchi made from potatoes?
Old 11-17-17, 08:58 AM
checoles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diricks0n
Isn't gnocchi made from potatoes?
You've been a member for a year, and THIS is your first comment? Love it!
Old 11-17-17, 09:05 AM
diricks0n

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Figured I would wait for the perfect time to chime in, potato talk just grabs my attention.
Old 11-17-17, 09:24 AM
checoles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diricks0n
Figured I would wait for the perfect time to chime in, potato talk just grabs my attention.

Brilliant. Welcome aboard!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.