Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Gear Ratio Question - Track set up to normal Fixie

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Gear Ratio Question - Track set up to normal Fixie

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 11:19 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Some people like to ride higher gears at lower RPMs. Other people like to ride lower gears at higher RPMs. Both are okay.
I think you nailed it.
Old 12-11-17, 02:46 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
must be the first newbie post on here in a while which didn't result in a riot of some description.

Well done guys! We can be helpful!

Old 12-31-17, 01:05 AM
SoSaturnDelta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50/20 gearing

Great thread! Nice to see what gearing others are running! I have been obsessing about this lately...
I recently acquired a ss commuter, 50/20 gearing, gates belt drive, 29er.
My commute is currently 11 miles RT, with one small 500 ft climb. That little hill is not easy and I'm concerned my gearing is too tall.
Soon my commute will double in length with more climbing. Not a long commute by any stretch but that small hill is haunting me. Do you think changing to 50/22 will make enough of a difference to be worth it? Of course belt drive makes it a pain in the wallet to change gearing...
I know there are a lot of variables involved but what gearing would you recommend? Or should I just STFU and man up?
Cheers!
Old 12-31-17, 12:02 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSaturnDelta
I know there are a lot of variables involved but what gearing would you recommend?
There definitely are too many for anyone to make an intelligent recommendation. Experimenting is the only way to know for sure.

I will say this though. The difference between a 22t rear cog and a 20t will be very noticeable. It will be Close to a 10% percent change. Try to imagine that, and base your decision on that.
Old 12-31-17, 12:51 PM
SoSaturnDelta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
There definitely are too many for anyone to make an intelligent recommendation. Experimenting is the only way to know for sure.

I will say this though. The difference between a 22t rear cog and a 20t will be very noticeable. It will be Close to a 10% percent change. Try to imagine that, and base your decision on that.
Thanks for your feedback!
Old 12-31-17, 12:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
The right choice is driven by the terrain and your strength. You need to balance climbing capability against lower cruising speed. I usually end up using a gear roughly 10% less than the the most used ratio on my road bike.

If there were no hills, I'd match the gear rather than go less, and if there were rolling terrain with steep climbs, I might go lower with the understanding that I won't be cruising along on flat ground anyway.

But we're all different, and it's not logical to suppose that you can decide on the right gear based on advice or calculations. Just pick something in the ball park, ride a while, and see what your legs tell you.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.