Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Pedal options

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 01:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_Fast
For example, you're going somewhere with a friend, then someone looks down and says "bruh, what are those?" lol.
If they were so new to riding that they didn't know some pedals "click", then I'd take a minute to explain and it would continue to be a complete non-issue for us and our ride.

Here's a real-world example: I go on date rides with my wife sometimes, her bike has flat pedals, mine has SPDs (of course). My shoes click when we start or stop, hers don't, and it doesn't affect our ride one iota.

I did a tweed ride a few years ago wearing my usual shirt, tie, slacks, jacket, and dress hat. And SPDs. Apart from the occasional click (a couple others' setups clicked too) it was the ride as usual.

I could probably think of more examples if given time, but hopefully you're getting the idea.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-17-17, 01:57 PM
Ride_Fast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If they were so new to riding that they didn't know some pedals "click", then I'd take a minute to explain and it would continue to be a complete non-issue for us and our ride.

Here's a real-world example: I go on date rides with my wife sometimes, her bike has flat pedals, mine has SPDs (of course). My shoes click when we start or stop, hers don't, and it doesn't affect our ride one iota.

I did a tweed ride a few years ago wearing my usual shirt, tie, slacks, jacket, and dress hat. And SPDs. Apart from the occasional click (a couple others' setups clicked too) it was the ride as usual.

I could probably think of more examples if given time, but hopefully you're getting the idea.
Well, I meant going somewhere and having odd looking shoes on. I guess if you have causal looking spd's no one would know. One of my friends made a comment once when I bought my first pair, he's like "Are you going to be wearing shoes like that from now on?" And then I started thinking, do I really want to be that guy? Unfortunately I don't hang out with people who ride, but it's funny, the one person I know who likes riding is a casual but has a 5000$ bike with 10$ pedals. I'm always like, bruh wtf? lol
Old 12-17-17, 02:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Well, I meant going somewhere and having odd looking shoes on. I guess if you have causal looking spd's no one would know. One of my friends made a comment once when I bought my first pair, he's like "Are you going to be wearing shoes like that from now on?" And then I started thinking, do I really want to be that guy? Unfortunately I don't hang out with people who ride, but it's funny, the one person I know who likes riding is a casual but has a 5000$ bike with 10$ pedals. I'm always like, bruh wtf? lol
I suppose my shoes look more casual than some, but I also don't worry deeply about what other people think of me. I'm my own person. I highly recommend it.

RUSA #7498
Old 12-17-17, 02:52 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I'll probably just do that. I own both wellgo and VP pedals. As far as I know they're both cheap, but not the worst. Do you know if Venzo is a good brand? I'm thinking it's the same ****.
Never heard of Venzo before, so I'd stay away. Wellgo definitely makes cheaper stuff, but they're pretty widely used and reputable. With clipless pedals I personally like to go for branded stuff like Shimano, Time, etc., because I need to feel like I can trust the pedals and cleats to work together reliably.
Old 12-17-17, 03:29 PM
Ride_Fast

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Never heard of Venzo before, so I'd stay away. Wellgo definitely makes cheaper stuff, but they're pretty widely used and reputable. With clipless pedals I personally like to go for branded stuff like Shimano, Time, etc., because I need to feel like I can trust the pedals and cleats to work together reliably.
Oh for sure. If shimano makes what I'm looking for, and it's available, then I'll definitely go for it.

I suppose my shoes look more casual than some, but I also don't worry deeply about what other people think of me. I'm my own person. I highly recommend it.

Yeah you really can't tell that those are spd's

It's more about keeping the shoes for sport rather than just walking around everywhere with them. That's why I have dual sided pedals, sport on one side/ casual on the other. I don't wear my running shoes everywhere, I could but that just looks silly to me, plus I really wouldn't want to do that.

Last edited by Ride_Fast; 12-17-17 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 05:50 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Oh for sure. If shimano makes what I'm looking for, and it's available, then I'll definitely go for it.

It's more about keeping the shoes for sport rather than just walking around everywhere with them. That's why I have dual sided pedals, sport on one side/ casual on the other. I don't wear my running shoes everywhere, I could but that just looks silly to me, plus I really wouldn't want to do that.
It's up to you. Just had to josh you a little here and there.

BTW, the multifunction pedals I had were the Shimano PD-M324. A little more expensive than your other options, but they are very durable, and Google tells me they do have all the mounting points you'd need to put cages on the platform side (the thought had never occurred to me until just now):
RUSA #7498
Old 12-17-17, 10:26 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
One of my friends made a comment once when I bought my first pair, he's like "Are you going to be wearing shoes like that from now on?" And then I started thinking, do I really want to be that guy?
Your friend sounds like a d*uche.

Yuck.

I've ridden the three major versions of foot retention. Second I went SPDs I never once considered using a different pedal. And I'd happily wear my Giro's all day, anywhere.
Old 12-18-17, 12:26 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Plain enough shoes that are SPD.

https://www.chromeindustries.com/pro...oe/FW-113.html

There are others out there.
Old 12-18-17, 01:44 AM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
one problem you'll probably encounter with the dual purpose pedals is that when you clip into the spd side the clips and straps hanging on the bottom will undoubtedly drag when cornering. This is really only a problem when riding fixed, but definitely not something you want happening
Old 12-18-17, 03:57 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This forum is the best.
Old 12-18-17, 05:06 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I rocked 324's like that for a minute. A bike I bought came with them and I hadn't gotten into clipless yet. Found myself pushing off on the spd side before getting into the cage and the spd mechanism did a number on the sole of my foot. Bruises and whatnot.

I tried riding with the cages on and clipless shoes and the straps and cages kept dragging and scraping. OP -- I know you plan on removing the straps when you wanna ride clipless, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of two-sided pedals -- being able to just hop on without doing any maintenance?

Just get better at riding clipless, changing pedals or dealing with snarky bro comments about your shoes. And yes, I ride in NYC 30 miles a day and have to stop suddenly often. I fall way less clipless than I do with cages and/or straps.
Old 12-18-17, 05:55 AM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by hardboiled718
one problem you'll probably encounter with the dual purpose pedals is that when you clip into the spd side the clips and straps hanging on the bottom will undoubtedly drag when cornering. This is really only a problem when riding fixed, but definitely not something you want happening
Gotta agree with this. A two-in-one is never going to function as well as the two ones do on their own. You'll most likely find yourself with a minor convenience that gets outweighed by little annoying things like the above. These pedals are a novel idea, but if it were me, I would (and do) just swap out pedals depending on what I want to use,
Old 12-18-17, 06:53 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Wendell F
I rocked 324's like that for a minute. A bike I bought came with them and I hadn't gotten into clipless yet. Found myself pushing off on the spd side before getting into the cage and the spd mechanism did a number on the sole of my foot. Bruises and whatnot.

I tried riding with the cages on and clipless shoes and the straps and cages kept dragging and scraping. OP -- I know you plan on removing the straps when you wanna ride clipless, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of two-sided pedals -- being able to just hop on without doing any maintenance?

Just get better at riding clipless, changing pedals or dealing with snarky bro comments about your shoes. And yes, I ride in NYC 30 miles a day and have to stop suddenly often. I fall way less clipless than I do with cages and/or straps.
Clipless pedals definitely give you more power than regular pedals when riding too. I ride look keos on my road bike, and spd on the singlespeed/fixed gear. Once you get the pedal tension set right on the pedal, getting in and out is not an issue. Been riding clipless for 12 years now, and only fell once because of it. I think most people will admit to at least falling once as well It's part of the initiation lol. If you can practice clipping in and out on a regular bike first, that will increase your confidence when riding fixed clipless.

Dave
Old 12-18-17, 09:52 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Clipless pedals definitely give you more power than regular pedals when riding too. I ride look keos on my road bike, and spd on the singlespeed/fixed gear. Once you get the pedal tension set right on the pedal, getting in and out is not an issue. Been riding clipless for 12 years now, and only fell once because of it. I think most people will admit to at least falling once as well It's part of the initiation lol. If you can practice clipping in and out on a regular bike first, that will increase your confidence when riding fixed clipless.

Dave
Amusingly, I don't believe I have fallen because of my SPDs. Those stupid toe cages, on the other hand, lead to a 0mph sideways dignity shattering event. I instinctively tried to twist my foot out of the clipless pedal, only you can't twist out of a cage.
Old 12-18-17, 01:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Wendell F
OP -- I know you plan on removing the straps when you wanna ride clipless, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of two-sided pedals -- being able to just hop on without doing any maintenance?
Maybe a couple sets of "rinko"-style pedals, one platform and the other clipless, so you can swap quickly without needing any tools:

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-pedals-rinko/

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...als-for-rinko/
Old 12-18-17, 02:42 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Or just n+1.
Old 12-18-17, 03:21 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by prooftheory
or just n+1.
lol
Old 12-18-17, 05:52 PM
scoho

Bikes: steel track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Maybe a couple sets of "rinko"-style pedals, one platform and the other clipless, so you can swap quickly without needing any tools:

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-pedals-rinko/

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...als-for-rinko/
Those are cool, but not compatible. The clipless ones are the EZY standard, while the Urban Platforms are the EZY-Superior standard.
Old 12-18-17, 05:54 PM
scoho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
Or just n+1.
I’ve built new bikes for more trivial reasons.
Old 12-18-17, 06:20 PM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by scoho
I’ve built new bikes for more trivial reasons.
Seriously. I have a stem and a pair of shoes that I want to build separate bikes for.
Old 12-18-17, 06:32 PM
scoho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Seriously. I have a stem and a pair of shoes that I want to build separate bikes for.
Wait, I thought we were talking about trivial reasons.
Old 12-18-17, 09:54 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by scoho
Those are cool, but not compatible. The clipless ones are the EZY standard, while the Urban Platforms are the EZY-Superior standard.
Ok, fine. So instead these:

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...pedal-adapter/

Or even these:

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...pedal-adapter/
Old 12-18-17, 10:30 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Definitely something cool I didn't know existed. Glad this thread had some use after all.
Old 12-19-17, 12:11 AM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by JeremyLC
Amusingly, I don't believe I have fallen because of my SPDs. Those stupid toe cages, on the other hand, lead to a 0mph sideways dignity shattering event. I instinctively tried to twist my foot out of the clipless pedal, only you can't twist out of a cage.
I had one incident with Look pedals back in '05 at a stop light. Not sure if anyone saw it, but I fell over and felt goofy. Another time, I couldn't clip out while climbing a hill with a worn out drivetrain and started to slip. Knew I was going down for sure. It was either falling in the street, or onto a sidewalk, and I picked the sidewalk. In karate they taught us how to fall, so I tucked my knees into my chest into a ball while holding the bike up with my feet. It probably looked really dramatic, but didn't get hurt which is what matters

Dave
Old 12-20-17, 09:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
My first time using clipless I just barely fell. I realized quickly I had unclipped from the wrong side and just unclipped from the other side and was just fine. Trying to get my foot out of a toe cage and strap I would probably fall unless I left it really really loose and then it could catch on something. I like to be able to get my foot out quickly and not be impeded by anything or have my foot slip.