Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bags for front folder rack (Tern Spartan Rack)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 06:54 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

anyone know what bags will fit a front Tern Spartan Rack? All my panniers are too big and all the stores I've visited have nothing in that fits, they're all too big for the bottom clip to attach to the rack.

Cheers,

Che
Old 07-31-19, 08:04 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Have you tried Ortlieb bags? The position of the clip on the bottom can be adjusted. I used the front roller on my old dahon front rack. My old bag had an oval shaped track so I could adjust the height of the bottom clip. The new bag design seems to have a single track, but it probably still fits. They seemed to have renamed "front roller" to "sport roller". The rear roller might be too tall that it touches the ground. But you can go to a local store and test it.

The ortlieb panniers are really long lasting. Still in good condition after 8 years. The plus version with cordura is supposedly more durable than the classic version with PVC. I also prefer the texture and feel of the plus version.
https://www.ortlieb.com/sport-roller-plus

old bag with oval track. No longer in production.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 07-31-19 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 02:34 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I just came back from an outdoor shop, and I saw that Vaude has a rectangular track for the bottom hook, so you'll have more possibilities to adjust the position of the hook, when compared to the new Ortlieb single track. The website lists prices, weight, and volume by the pair, so it might be confusing.
There is a lightweight version and a standard version. The lightweight specs look very light, although the material is thinner. The standard version is slightly heavier than Ortlieb. The lightweight version's closure seems similar to the Ortlieb roller, where the rolled ends clip together. The standard version has in addition clips on the side if you want to attach a shoulder strap separately from the top closure. One of the annoyances of the Ortlieb closure is that it tends to unroll if you're using the shoulder strap. The standard version also looks like it has a beefier back plate compared to Ortlieb. Ortlieb has exposed fabric on the back, which is being worn thin by rubbing on a protrusion on my rear rack. I'm going to have to add some Seam Grip and a piece of tape to cover up the worn area.
https://www.vaude.com/en-INT/Product...mber=129514590
https://www.vaude.com/en-INT/Product...mber=124931250

Old 08-01-19, 04:37 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaaahh brilliant!
Everything I looked at didnt have that, so thats a huge relief.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll probably go Vaude, used a lot of their stuff in the past and never let me down.