Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

best bikes for newbie up to $400

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-15, 11:37 PM
sifinity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need a road bike for college which begins in the fall and i need a road bike that is decent quality and that is reliable. I looked at the Vilano bikes they seem to be crappy and then i looked at bikes direct bikes but they seem to get a lot of hate on forums lol . So what beginners road bike recommendations do you guys have ? my budget is up to $400
Old 06-22-15, 11:45 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
A used one
Old 06-23-15, 12:07 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
The under $400 bikes is a tough market.
Just start adding up the cost of parts for a custom build... and without blinking, one has spent much more than $400.

The GMC Denali class of bikes would make a functional no frills commuter. Vilano? But they will always be CHEAP in all senses of the word.

If you want a bike for longevity, ease of maintenance, long rides, etc... then as rms13 suggests... USED will get you a much better bike for less money as long as you're ok with a bit of tinkering and tuning.
Old 06-23-15, 12:18 AM
sifinity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any recommendations on what used bikes to look for ? or what brand of used bikes to look for ? and are bikes direct bikes really that bad ? like this one Save Up to 60% Off Carbon Fork Road Bikes - Motobecane Mirage S or : Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Liberty 2 | Save up to 60% off new road bikes or this : Save Up to 60% Off Carbon Fork Road Bikes - Windsor Wellington 4.0 Web Sale Prices
Old 06-23-15, 12:28 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Out of those 3, I'd probably choose the Gravity Liberty with the Sora 8s drivetrain.

Where are you?

On the used market, sometime around 10 to 15 years ago there was a big shift from downtube and stem shifters, and quill stems to 1 1/8" threadless and "brifters".
While the old downtube shifters may be generally bombproof... I'd probably lean towards the more modern characteristics on the bike.
Of course, true classics do show up from time to time depending on how big the market is.

That still leaves everything pretty wide open. The most important thing is to find a bike that is the right size and is comfortable. Test rides are easier when you can actually see the bike in person.
Old 06-23-15, 12:34 AM
sifinity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im in Texas any recommendations on what to do or any other used bikes to look for?
Old 06-23-15, 12:50 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
BD is not bad if you can confidentiality select the right size bike and are comfortable doing finally assembly and some fine tuning like adjusting derailleurs and truing wheels (honestly, you may have to do this and more on a used bike or pay a shop to). But generally, you get more bang for buck used so check your local craigslist first. But some people do live in places with no decent used bike market and in those cases bikesdirect is a good option. The three bikes you linked are very similar in quality. They are all low end entry level components, two have 7 speed shimano with thumb buttons on the shifters and one has microshift levers which are less common but do have dedicated paddles for up and down shift. I would stay away from the triple cranks unless you have lots of mountains to climb where you live.
Old 06-23-15, 12:57 AM
sifinity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this a good bike ? i found it on craigslist : https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/5012916969.html and this https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/5039401807.html , but how small is a 44cm bike .. I'm 5'7

Last edited by sifinity; 06-23-15 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-23-15, 12:59 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
You need to figure out the general frame size that will fit your body. Any bike that doesn't fit is worthless to you. That Trek bike is tiny.

BD triple cranks are the worst. Super long BB spindles that make adjustment a nightmare. The Mirage looks the best to me.
Old 06-23-15, 04:31 AM
sifinity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
between these couple bd bikes which one would you guys get ? : Save Up to 60% Off Road Bikes, Roadbikes - Mercier Galaxy AL ,
Save Up to 60% Off Carbon Fork Road Bikes - Motobecane Mirage S ,
Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Roadbikes - Mercier Galaxy SC3 Aluminum Road bikes ,
Old 06-23-15, 06:21 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You say you want a road bike for college. Is it to be used on campus? Do you plan on it for commuting to class etc, or do you plan on weekend rides too? Have you considered a hybrid/fitness bike?
It looks like you are in Houston, have you been to any of the LBS in the area and got an idea of the type of bike you like and the size you really need? Oh, stay out of the box stores and sporting goods stores.
BD bikes are bad for folks who do not wrench and don't know their sizing/fit.
Old 06-23-15, 06:41 AM
velisoped

Bikes: 2013 Madone 3.1, 2008 Specialized CrossTrail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just at the Performance Bike shop in Houston on Sunday. IIRC, I saw some entry-level Fujis for around $500. You might be able to find something in your price range there. At the very least, they can help find the size you need. Good luck!
Old 06-23-15, 12:16 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Check out CL with proper search terms for bikes your size (I'd guess 52 or 54?) and you can find some decent ones:
https://houston.craigslist.org/searc...7C52cm%7C52+cm
The $300 Scatante would probably be a good choice/price.
Old 06-23-15, 01:46 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you give your height, inseam, weight, and location, people may be able to direct you to a bike, LBS, or used bike on CL.

GH
Old 06-23-15, 05:46 PM
sifinity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im 5'7 , 155 lbs .. and my location is Houston or Austin Texas.. i live in houston currently but will be attending UT in the fall in Austin
Old 06-23-15, 06:18 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
If you're locking the bike outside for the day you might not want to get a bike that's too nice. Even a $400 used bike has quite a bit of value to a determined thief.
Old 06-25-15, 02:47 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP,

You haven't said exactly what you are looking to do with the bike. Will you be in a dorm on campus, without a car, or living off campus and riding the bike to school everyday? How far? In some cases, you may be better off with a mountain bike (sized like a road bike), or a hybrid.

A road bike would be a good choice if you will be off campus and riding a longer distance to school everyday. If you are going to be in a dorm on campus, or riding a short distance from off campus housing, you might be happier with a more relaxed/upright position that you could get from a mountain or hybrid bike.

Commuter/Campus bikes lead hard lives (they get banged up and thrown around), and are theft targets. Probably better if you don't get a really nice/expensive looking bike. Will the bike be your only transportation? Do you anticipate riding very far on days off from school? You might be able to squeeze two bikes out of $400 if you shop carefully. Used mountain bikes are not worth very much ($100-$200 should buy you a decent one to ride to school), and there are plenty of used road bikes in the $100-$200 range (if you shop hardcore on CL).
Old 06-30-15, 08:41 PM
sifinity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadGuy
OP,

You haven't said exactly what you are looking to do with the bike. Will you be in a dorm on campus, without a car, or living off campus and riding the bike to school everyday? How far? In some cases, you may be better off with a mountain bike (sized like a road bike), or a hybrid.

A road bike would be a good choice if you will be off campus and riding a longer distance to school everyday. If you are going to be in a dorm on campus, or riding a short distance from off campus housing, you might be happier with a more relaxed/upright position that you could get from a mountain or hybrid bike.

Commuter/Campus bikes lead hard lives (they get banged up and thrown around), and are theft targets. Probably better if you don't get a really nice/expensive looking bike. Will the bike be your only transportation? Do you anticipate riding very far on days off from school? You might be able to squeeze two bikes out of $400 if you shop carefully. Used mountain bikes are not worth very much ($100-$200 should buy you a decent one to ride to school), and there are plenty of used road bikes in the $100-$200 range (if you shop hardcore on CL).
I will live off campus and the apartment is a 1.5 miles away one way .. so they bike will be used around 20-30 miles a week ... and it will be my only mode of transportation around campus .. i will have a car there but parking it on campus in Austin is a pain and more than likely will never happen. Im not too worried about my bike getting stolen cause i have renters insurance to cover it and i have student insurance also to cover it but I'm still debating.. I saw a bike on CL for 400 bucks and its a decent Fuji bike .. but i also saw this one on performance bike and i recently signed up for a credit card ... its the one and only credit card I'm planning on having .. but they also have a promotion that if i spend $500 in 3 months i get $100 back ...and heres the bike Fuji Sportif 1.3 C Road Bike - 2013 .... i will ship it to store and they will assemble and tune it for me .... but idk if its worth it .... Also at night i will bring it up to my apartment and lock it up in my balcony on the 6th floor
Old 06-30-15, 10:56 PM
bikecommuter13

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have the same sportif 1.3 bike. I am about 172cm/5'7.5". I ride the 50CM. I like the bike very much. But for your 1.5m distance, why don't you just get a single speed bike?
Old 06-30-15, 11:09 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Jump on the Fuji like a duck on a June bug.
The 50/34 x 11-32 gearing will let you handle any hill Austin can throw at you, with style.
Old 06-30-15, 11:52 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It would be hard to argue with that price as long as you fit on a 50cm bike. That's a small bike.
Old 07-01-15, 01:02 AM
chip1

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all bikes' listed sizes are the same, so make sure you look at the geometry provided. That 50 size Fuji is more like 54 in traditional size, which will likely be big for you with a stock stem assuming it's 100mm. If you replace it with a 90 or 80mm stem it'll probably fit you well. I'm same height and I rode a 54 bike that way, although 52 fits me best.
Old 07-01-15, 11:03 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sifinity
I will live off campus and the apartment is a 1.5 miles away one way .. so they bike will be used around 20-30 miles a week ... and it will be my only mode of transportation around campus .. i will have a car there but parking it on campus in Austin is a pain and more than likely will never happen. Im not too worried about my bike getting stolen cause i have renters insurance to cover it and i have student insurance also to cover it but I'm still debating.. I saw a bike on CL for 400 bucks and its a decent Fuji bike .. but i also saw this one on performance bike and i recently signed up for a credit card ... its the one and only credit card I'm planning on having .. but they also have a promotion that if i spend $500 in 3 months i get $100 back ...and heres the bike Fuji Sportif 1.3 C Road Bike - 2013 .... i will ship it to store and they will assemble and tune it for me .... but idk if its worth it .... Also at night i will bring it up to my apartment and lock it up in my balcony on the 6th floor
You might want to test ride some Sportif's at a Performance Bike store near you. Even if they don't have that one, they should have one with the same frame (hopefully in the same size).

I'm 5'5" with a 28" inseam (so my biking inseam may be a bit bigger), and I have a Fuji Sportif in a 49cm.

Fit is the biggest thing about a bike. If it doesn't fit, it's not a good deal.

Also, you may have to worry more about it being stolen on-campus while you're at class than when it's at your apartment.

GH
Old 07-01-15, 11:13 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecommuter13
. But for your 1.5m distance, why don't you just get a single speed bike?
...or walk
Old 07-01-15, 12:47 PM
sifinity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
...or walk
now I'm scared it will get stolen with 2 locks lol... idk how to prevent that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.