Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern LINK - are they worth the money?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 06:33 PM
Zajebisty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/473/link-d8

looking at getting one of these used .. are they decent bikes? do they hold up well over time? better than Dahon ?

eager to get my first folder
Old 02-27-18, 08:34 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Zajebisty
...looking at getting one of these used .. are they decent bikes? do they hold up well over time? better than Dahon ?
I've been very happy with my Verge S11i, now 4 years and 5,500 miles old.
Since you are interested in a used Tern, you should be aware that in the early years of production there were several recalls of frames for defective welds at the frame latch. This raises the possibility that someone might be selling their bike because of concerns about frame integrity. You should definitely submit the serial number and the service tag code to Tern and ask if the frame was involved in a recall. See this page: https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/product-alerts
Another thing to keep in mind is that Tern's warranty applies *only* to the original purchaser.

I'd have no reservation at all buying a new Tern; it's just the things I mentioned above that you must consider if you buy one used from the time the recalled frames were made. For the Link, this period is from August, 2011, to April, 2012.

My Tern was affected by the recall, though it never had a structural problem. It's a great bike. I also own two Dahons (a 2003 Helios XL and a 2006 Mu XL) which were great bikes in their day. The Mu is my dedicated "winter" bike these days. The Helios was pretty flexible; the Tern is as solid as my Ti road bike; the Mu is somewhere in between.
Hope this helps.
Steve
Old 02-27-18, 10:12 PM
northernlights

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never had a problem with my Link D8 bought new in 2014. Its a 2nd or 3rd gen can't remember which. It's a very solid bike. Dahon and Tern seem to be the biggest names in folding bikes. You see them in almost every bike shop that sells folding bikes. But I would stay away from the 1st gen Terns.

I think one reason why Terns are so popular is the modern styling. The Tern website and marketing is just really slick. The bikes look cool and ultra modern without having that typical goofy folding bike appearance. Perhaps, at least in the beginning the company focused too much on style and form and didn't pay enough attention to quality which resulted in a lot of recalls. Though by now they appear to have resolved most of the quality issues.
Old 03-01-18, 03:13 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Interesting that despite the history between Dahon and Tern the Tern bike features a Dahon Neo derailleur.

You've not mentioned the price paying but I wouldn't pay a premium for a Tern bike. Buying secondhand could mean worn components and other issues if the bike has had a hard life.

You can buy a Euromini Urbano for $350 if in the states which features better components overall, lifetime warranty on the frame with higher rider weight capacity. The full Tern retail price is $750 but you could buy 2 higher spec Euromini bikes for that and have change over. The Tern to me is worth between $150-250 s/hand based on its components, frame quality etc. If you like the Tern brand and that is worth a premium to you then perhaps pay more but I personally think the Urbano is a better bike.
Old 03-01-18, 05:58 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 594 Posts
I agree that there's better options, brand new, out there.

Travel Folding Bicycle - Lightweight Carbon Folding Bike

https://www.downtube.com

https://www.euromini.bike

3 companies that are lower priced, better spec'd, and have solid customer service and support.
Old 03-01-18, 03:06 PM
Zajebisty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those euro mini ones look cool

what about Origami??
Old 03-01-18, 03:15 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 594 Posts
Origami AND Downtube are EXCELLENT! The owners of the companies are members of this forum. Search through the posts in this section to see more about them,...
Old 03-01-18, 04:22 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

If considering the Euromini Urbano and Liberte there are actually some advantages to the Urbano despite its lower price. While not quite as light (2lbs heavier) it features a better Shimano cassette, more durable tyres, nutted wheel axles (an advantage to securing the wheels from theft), likely stronger heavier chainring and solid cartridge bottom bracket rather than hollow type. The Liberte focuses on making the bike slightly lighter and is less strong or durable in at least a few areas. If overall weight is critical to you then the Liberte might be still for you and its an impressive low weight especially for such a great price but personally I prefer the Urbano.

I don't like hollow type bottom brackets. I'm sure most are fine but as a heavy rider who likes to use mainly high gears they seem a liability, maybe its better now but it seems like I've read a lot of forum postings where hollow type bottom brackets have failed, if its not the smaller bearings, its the main bottom bracket tube cracking/breaking.

Still a $399 folding bike of less than 10kg in weight is very impressive, the Tern Link is 2kg heavier I think and the Liberte still offers a lifetime warranty on the frame compared to only five years for the much heavier Tern.
Old 03-02-18, 09:47 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
If considering the Euromini Urbano and Liberte there are actually some advantages to the Urbano despite its lower price. While not quite as light (2lbs heavier) it features a better Shimano cassette, more durable tyres, nutted wheel axles (an advantage to securing the wheels from theft), likely stronger heavier chainring and solid cartridge bottom bracket rather than hollow type. The Liberte focuses on making the bike slightly lighter and is less strong or durable in at least a few areas. If overall weight is critical to you then the Liberte might be still for you and its an impressive low weight especially for such a great price but personally I prefer the Urbano.

I don't like hollow type bottom brackets. I'm sure most are fine but as a heavy rider who likes to use mainly high gears they seem a liability, maybe its better now but it seems like I've read a lot of forum postings where hollow type bottom brackets have failed, if its not the smaller bearings, its the main bottom bracket tube cracking/breaking.

Still a $399 folding bike of less than 10kg in weight is very impressive, the Tern Link is 2kg heavier I think and the Liberte still offers a lifetime warranty on the frame compared to only five years for the much heavier Tern.
We have 2 X EuroMini Urbanos. Had them for close to a year. We ride them nearly every day. They were our first folders and they've proven to be wonderful bikes, especially in light of the price-point. They're pretty quick, light, and perform above their pay-grade. In short...no regrets.
Old 03-02-18, 10:30 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've recently got the Link A7, the budget folder, just to use for casual commuting and a few mini tours here and there, and so far I'm fairly happy with it. Was a bit annoyed I didn't do my research first about the frame problems but it would seem that the bikes fine. Always had Dahons, had 5 in my lifetime. First time without one and its taking some getting used to.

On a plus, the folding mechanisms are good, and like Dahon, you can get every spring, clip and bolt as spares. Always a big plus. The paint looks brilliant, a budget bike with a lovely candy red finish.

Downside, there's a bit more flex in the handlebar/stem than I've ever had with the Dahons, but I've gotten used to that now so I suppose it isn't a huge problem.

Cheers, Che
Old 03-02-18, 01:55 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Judging by photos, the Euromini Urbano have a smaller frame.

Does the Euromini's cockpit feel cramp?

How does the Euromini handling compare to normal size frame FB?
The cockpit fits me quite well (5'7" on a good day)

Color me naive, but a "normal size frame" folder? Is that to say there is a standard size?

I like the way it rides, its sporty and responsive and occasionally (to my wife's dismay...and my orthopaedic surgeon's) I enjoy a few moments of hands-free riding.
Old 03-02-18, 03:01 PM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Most FB I see are 1.5 inch tires.
I'm seeing the Euromini it's 2.0 inch tires. So it's possible this bigger tire is creating a optical illusion...that make the bike frame look smaller than it really it.
Liberte is 1.5" but Urbano is 2.0 so in theory the gearing for stock bikes is faster on the Urbano getting on 2mph faster at 130rpm cadence. Yes 130rpm cadence is very fast and not a realistic figure for normal cycling.

It's clear the Liberte is focused more on speed where as Urbano is slightly more aimed at comfort or general use. Both seem excellent value although not long ago the Urbano was available for $299. Frame is interesting too with both having 6066 frames which is different to the normal 6061 or 7005 offered. One of the best frame manufacturer's in the world 'Merida' seems to have offered 6066 in its higher end aluminium frames but can't seem to find much more about it.

I know I can see almost like a Euromini salesman as I'm quite positive about them but I'm over here in the UK where they aren't available and if they are the pricing is uncompetitive due to import fees. They just look like very good value for US citizens.
Old 03-02-18, 04:19 PM
odiolalluvia

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of opinions in this forum about Tern. They had some quality issues early on, but I can say I've been selling the Link D8 here for years and have had nothing but good reports from customers.
Old 03-03-18, 02:17 AM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by odiolalluvia
Lots of opinions in this forum about Tern. They had some quality issues early on, but I can say I've been selling the Link D8 here for years and have had nothing but good reports from customers.
Even if you accept the frame quality issues are a thing of the past with Tern there is still the huge pricing issue. If the Tern was $280 new from an online discounter not $750 I'd still probably recommend paying the extra $70 to get the Urbano.

However as always only those competent to do their own bike servicing should consider direct sellers like Euromini because if you are going to need servicing and repairs done by your local bike dealer it often makes more sense to buy your bike locally. As some dealers have pointed out they can make more money from people buying from ebay and amazon and then paying full price for servicing, repairs and upgrades locally.

I have a fairly local dealer to me 'Ralph Coleman' in Taunton who offer lifetime servicing of the bikes bought there for the original purchaser. Yes no doubt they often have to replace parts which they make some money on but still it can be very cost effective if you have to rely on the dealer. Buying secondhand is no better than buying from a direct seller with all the same issues of paying for everything at the dealer. That's why it always amazes me when people buy bikes close to retail price secondhand. Saw a forum posting elsewhere when someone sold their £350 mountain bike for £280 after 6 months of owning it. A quick look showed the same bike could be bought online for £300 without any wear and tear and buying locally for £350 with all the support of the dealer is surely worth £70 anyway.

https://ralphcolman.co.uk/pages/service-types
Old 03-03-18, 04:41 PM
odiolalluvia

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
750 seems to be a pretty good price for the bike. They have a cheaper version, the A7, but I don't recommend it.
Old 03-03-18, 05:35 PM
dancier

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zajebisty
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/473/link-d8

looking at getting one of these used .. are they decent bikes? do they hold up well over time? better than Dahon ?

eager to get my first folder
I've looked at this bike many times and thought why the Neos rear mech, with a normal derailleur you'd be able to get some decent gear inches out of it with a few mods.

I like the way Tern publish there cockpit sizes, unlike most/all of the bikes recommended so far. With the D8 I can run the tape over my beater and see it's close.

Last edited by dancier; 03-03-18 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 03-03-18, 06:13 PM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by odiolalluvia
750 seems to be a pretty good price for the bike. They have a cheaper version, the A7, but I don't recommend it.
That's what I don't get, $750 vs $350 Urbano which is a higher spec and much lighter. $400 more for an inferior bike.