Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park Tool HTS-1

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Park Tool HTS-1

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-21, 07:59 AM
Pogliaghi123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Park Tool HTS-1

Hello I am trying to find a park tool hts-1. I have a few frames I need to straiten out. There’s a tool like it that was made by the guys at MSU. I’d like to find the original discontinued park tool version at some point but until then I was thinking about trying to make my own. How could one make this tool for their self?
Old 05-10-21, 12:36 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I can see how the tool would push out a head-tube if the down tube has been crunched in a little by a head-on accident. I'm not exactly sure how the tool would straighten a head-tube that's twisted out of alignment with the rest of the frame, which seems to be another likely result of a less than perfect head-on collision.

Looking at the photo you provided, it doesn't actually seem that complicated to make. From what I can tell, it appears to rely on brute force and not precision to achieve it's aim. If I had a need, or maybe a desire, I could probably make this tool. But then again, I have a shop; mill, lathe, mig welder, etc. and some know-how. However, if I really had to use a tool like this, I would be asking myself, is the bike frame I'm trying to straighten really going to be worth the trouble and be safe to ride after I'm done? I expect also that it is intended for steel frames only and would not work for aluminum frames.

In a kind way, I'm also sort of thinking that if you're asking how to make it, are you going to be knowledgeable enough to use it properly?
Old 05-10-21, 12:58 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
You might get more answers in the "Framebuilders" section. Ask the moderators if they can move this there.
Old 05-10-21, 07:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
Do you know what you are getting yourself into? This is a long out of production tool but you might find an older shop or a framebuilder that has one and a mechanic that knows how to use it.
Old 05-10-21, 08:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
Having the park tool just 20' below me in my basement and also having used a few other tools that all do the same thing I will say this is a powerful method and with great power comes great responsibility. Here are some thoughts.

- The head tube can become deformed locally if not reinforced, the headset is the usual way to add thickness. Do know that the headset cups can also distort so a replacement there might be needed.
- What spec will the bending out stop at? Do you know the OEM geometry of the bike's size (and published specs might not be size specific) And how will one measure this stopping point? Of course there will be spring back to account for.
- Any deformed localizes areas (buckles, ripples) won't be pulled out well as they will have been hardened by the initial stress/bending beyond the material's elastic point. So expect a less the smooth and likely a "wandering" tube surface.
- Additionally to this is that the tubes will bend where they are the weakest. This might not be about the headtube, I have seem straightening effects at the BB and the seat tube...
- These tools only address the in plane miss alignment. Any twist will need different methods and tooling, to both measure and straighten.
- Other types of these tools have used car jacks as the forcing device.
- I would only consider steel frames to be suitable to straighten. Thin wall, high grade, tubing will be harder to align well then lower cost high ten steel frames.
- Many times when the frame has suffered a big enough impact to bend it the fork will also be bent. Another layer of alignment and considerations opens up like Pandora's box lid.

If you were near me I would invite you to bring a worthless frame and I would give you a chance to experience this type of aligning, but with no location given in your profile... Andy
Old 05-11-21, 08:21 AM
Pogliaghi123

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Been collecting a long time. Straitened many frames. Does anyone have any tips on making the tool?
Old 05-11-21, 08:23 AM
Pogliaghi123

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joeruge
I can see how the tool would push out a head-tube if the down tube has been crunched in a little by a head-on accident. I'm not exactly sure how the tool would straighten a head-tube that's twisted out of alignment with the rest of the frame, which seems to be another likely result of a less than perfect head-on collision.

Looking at the photo you provided, it doesn't actually seem that complicated to make. From what I can tell, it appears to rely on brute force and not precision to achieve it's aim. If I had a need, or maybe a desire, I could probably make this tool. But then again, I have a shop; mill, lathe, mig welder, etc. and some know-how. However, if I really had to use a tool like this, I would be asking myself, is the bike frame I'm trying to straighten really going to be worth the trouble and be safe to ride after I'm done? I expect also that it is intended for steel frames only and would not work for aluminum frames.

In a kind way, I'm also sort of thinking that if you're asking how to make it, are you going to be knowledgeable enough to use it properly?
in the kindest of way, I wish I could just have my questions answered on these forums.
Old 05-11-21, 08:29 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
Can't help you to find one, but here's a thread showing it. And what it can do.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...take-note.html

As far as making one, you could probably fabricate one using a floor jack post as a basis:

https://www.amazon.com/Vestil-FJB-36.../dp/B08GG7FRPQ

Last edited by gearbasher; 05-11-21 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-11-21, 08:54 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Pogliaghi123
Been collecting a long time. Straitened many frames. Does anyone have any tips on making the tool?
Pogliaghi- Where are you? besides my offer for you to use my tool I also have a massive threaded rod (w/o measuring I'd say a 1" diameter and about 24" long w/ 2 nuts on it already) that would make a great basis for this type of tool. It's yours for free if you can pick it up. Fabrication of the two ends should be easy for someone who can work with metal. Sorry but I can't get ant better in helping you then this offer. Andy
Old 05-12-21, 05:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
How could one make this tool for their self?
With the proper fabricating tools and skill set to use them, or pay someone who does.
https://www.parktool.com/assets/doc/product/HTS-1_Parts-Diagram.pdf
https://www.grofa.com/de/p/park-tool...hts-1-4001018/
https://cycleinn.co.nz/products/park-tool-hts-1-head-tube-straightener​​​​​​

To make your own look at 3 point hitch toplinks and leveling arm assemblies.
The other place I'd look is load binders. Basically you need a fairly heavy duty turnbuckle for a base to fabricate your desired ends to.\
​​​​​​https://www.agrisupply.com/top-links/c/4900018/

Last edited by dedhed; 05-12-21 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-29-22, 01:13 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Bumping this thread - I actually had one of these Park tools before I dramatically downsized my shop/collection a couple of years ago... and now I have the perfect candidate frame for using it on. Anyone have one or know of a shop that does in the LA region?
Old 01-30-22, 10:09 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Just checked Ebay and that tool isn't there .
Old 01-31-22, 01:49 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
in the kindest of way, I wish I could just have my questions answered on these forums.
I've gotten lots of great advice and very thoughtful responses to pretty much all my questions on this forum - looking at the responses that you've gotten I'd say they're pretty good - Park doesn't make the tool you need anymore and fabricating one is something I'll bet most of the members here haven't done - answers to tough questions sometimes require a lot of legwork on the part of the person asking the question - good luck !!
Old 05-13-23, 11:51 AM
JustaUser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... Is there anyone in/near the South San Francisco Bay Area that has one of these to loan me for 30 minutes (or a home-made setup)? ... A Bicycle Frame is asking this, not me ...
Old 05-13-23, 03:07 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
sure.. go to a Tractor Dealer... that is a link for attaching accessories to the rear of a tractor... AKA: "Category 1 adjustable top link for a three point hitch" or "Cat.1 top link" usually works.... about $30 or less..... adapt as needed. There will be various sizes and lengths in stock... determine what length range you will need before going shopping.

here's an extremely brutal version that could rip a bike frame completely in half !
i've seen one of these used to lift a fairly large tractor up to replace a rear tire....
https://www.agrisupply.com/adjustabl...jack/p/106054/

Last edited by maddog34; 05-13-23 at 03:17 PM.