Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

1983 Ross Hi-Tech Mt. Whitney ATB - $250

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-23, 04:27 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts

The 20-inch Ishiwata MTB frameset is in remarkable condition, with no rust issues. Not sure whether all the components are original; the mismatched Suntour XC Sport RD and Shimano Deerhead FD would indicate probably not. Still, it is quite rideable as-is. I was going to finish restoring this bike myself, very little needs doing, I just wanted to regrease all the bearings and relube the cables before hitting the trails. Note: The Serfas Drifter all-roads tires live up to their name on gravel.

But we are strapped for cash, so I am selling this bike now, CHEAP! Check out the pics, and let me know if you have any questions.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 05-07-23 at 04:47 PM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 05-07-23, 05:39 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,012 Times in 1,783 Posts
Wow, why am I drooling??!!!
Old 05-07-23, 05:51 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Justified!

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Wow, why am I drooling??!!!
Because you NEED a first-generation, top-tier, chromed steel Ross Mt. Whitney in your life, and you'll never find another this nice at this price. Perfectly understandable, really.

Likes For DQRider:
Old 05-07-23, 11:54 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 116 Posts
These chrome ATB Ross frames do not get nearly the attention they should. There is someone at an apartment complex that has one locked up outdoors and it is slowly being ruined by the elements. I've left a laminated note on it (that Oregon rain...) begging them to sell it to me yet the note has languished, unread for the months it's been there, every time I walk by it.
Screaming deal here, folks. with Bullmoose bars!? Wowza. If this was my size (58cm), we'd be talking DQRider!
Old 05-08-23, 07:53 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
If this was my size (58cm), we'd be talking DQRider!
Ditto!
Old 05-10-23, 09:53 PM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts
Location?
Old 05-13-23, 12:25 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Does it have a 7/8" headset? Apparently Ross went the BMX route with headsets as there were no standards for MTBs back then. My '84 Mt. Hood has one, it narrows the stem choices. But it looks like your Bullmoose bars aren't cut down, like mine were.
Old 05-13-23, 10:07 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Sold

Originally Posted by mountaindave
Does it have a 7/8" headset? Apparently Ross went the BMX route with headsets as there were no standards for MTBs back then. My '84 Mt. Hood has one, it narrows the stem choices. But it looks like your Bullmoose bars aren't cut down, like mine were.
Sold it yesterday to somebody with "pronouns". Dude had pink nail polish, a stubbly beard, and the name was Luci. Bit of a shock, really. Guess I'm getting old.

Old 05-13-23, 12:06 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Sold it yesterday to somebody with "pronouns". Dude had pink nail polish, a stubbly beard, and the name was Luci. Bit of a shock, really. Guess I'm getting old.
I respect everybody's choice to be whatever kind of cyclist they choose to be.

Except one cross-dressing good buddy who rides on the road totally kitted out in MTB, including floral jams with a chamois (pronoun it). People stare and look down when they see it. I try not be ashamed when I'm riding with it, but really, I'm confused and uncomfortable. 😜
Old 05-13-23, 10:54 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I respect everybody's choice to be whatever kind of cyclist they choose to be.

Except one cross-dressing good buddy who rides on the road totally kitted out in MTB, including floral jams with a chamois (pronoun it). People stare and look down when they see it. I try not be ashamed when I'm riding with it, but really, I'm confused and uncomfortable. 😜
I’m old too, but this dog is learning new tricks. It just takes longer and is more painful.

When I ride, people often think I’m late for a tweed ride…

And congrats on the sale. I’ve realized that my wife’s next bike really needs to have disc brakes. I mean, I could go linear brakes, but she got a taste for hydros while riding a fat bike this winter and can’t stop talking about them. I feel like I’m about to be replaced with a younger model…