Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

My Subaru sucked.

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

My Subaru sucked.

Old 07-01-17, 09:07 AM
Michigander
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
That's exactly why I have no plans to ever buy another Ford or Chrysler product again. The Chrysler got sold just before the warranty expired after having multiple transmission repairs/replacements, and Ford never did solve the problems I had with my Contour.
The worst part is that in my opinion GM is even worse overall, but Ford has in the last 5 years or so more widely joined the race to the bottom.
Old 07-01-17, 09:14 AM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
The worst part is that in my opinion GM is even worse overall, but Ford has in the last 5 years or so more widely joined the race to the bottom.
When I started buying domestic cars I really wanted to start with Chevy, but I just couldn't with all of their problems.
Old 07-01-17, 11:32 AM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I've never had any issues with any of my Lexuses or my Toyota truck. I still have them and I have NEVER had an issue. So much that on one of my Lexuses, I just got a check for $2500 from them because I never used my warranty so I got my money back. The other two Lexuses I didn't even bother buying a warranty.

And the BMW... it gets taken care of by my son so Im okay there.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-01-17, 08:29 PM
Michigander
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toyota is about the most reliable manufacturer around with the best ease of maintenance. I don't think I'll ever own another car that isn't either a non daily driver toy, or a Toyota or Porsche, or perhaps BMW if I want to put performance and enjoyability ahead of practicality.
Old 07-01-17, 09:05 PM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

BMW is the worst for reliability though. They are engineered to break down in my opinion.

The only reason I got one is because it was a birthday gift from my son this year. He offered to get me one, I said no but he bought it anyway.

Not that I don't appreciate it, it's a beautiful car and it drives nice. But I'm afraid it's going to have issues and it is very expensive to repair them.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-01-17, 11:31 PM
Michigander
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 series parts in particular are often quite a joke.
Old 07-02-17, 01:28 PM
no motor?

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
BMW is the worst for reliability though. They are engineered to break down in my opinion.

The only reason I got one is because it was a birthday gift from my son this year. He offered to get me one, I said no but he bought it anyway.

Not that I don't appreciate it, it's a beautiful car and it drives nice. But I'm afraid it's going to have issues and it is very expensive to repair them.
Their motorcycles are very reliable, but when they need maintenance or parts it can be pretty expensive. There's the limited number of dealers too, so your choices are even more limited there.
Old 07-02-17, 01:40 PM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
3 series parts in particular are often quite a joke.
Actually, the one I got is the 3 series that a lot people look for. I guess the engine has proven itself to be popular. He snagged it quick. Three other people wanted that exact car. I don't have to worry about paying for it though. My son will be taking care of it.
Old 07-02-17, 04:34 PM
windhchaser 

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
subaru backwards is u r a bus
Old 07-02-17, 07:29 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Looks like s**t too. I'd be embarrassed to be driving a new $30,000 car with that on the roof.

In all seriousnous, you can't leave that up there in the rain for very long.

This turned out to be a nice modification, strong as anything. Just too bad the roof box wouldn't fit.

I'd be embarrassed to drive a $30,000 car when the last one I ever owned was $1.06 and sold to me by my mother (the lawyer reminded her she was legally obligated to charge sales tax) and it was like THIS:

3.1L SFI and I had a lead foot to threaten Superman.

You need to be good to Mom, they lied to her when they told her, "Keep pushing, it will soon be over"!

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 07-03-17, 11:54 AM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
2011 Subaru Forester. after getting a new engine every year for 3 years, & being on my 4th engine, including the original, I took a loss & traded it for a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. loved the Forester but the Jeep does a better job carrying 4 bikes (& luggage) w/o sagging down in the back

guess a MOD made this it's own evil thread. oy
Good luck with the Cherokee. We bought a 2016 and a week later the passenger side was full of water. Something about the firewall not being welded and sealed correctly.

i now have a 2017 Impreza. Hopefully they worked out the oil issue...
Old 07-03-17, 07:10 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
I'd be embarrassed to drive a $30,000 car when the last one I ever owned was $1.06 and sold to me by my mother (the lawyer reminded her she was legally obligated to charge sales tax) and it was like THIS:

3.1L SFI and I had a lead foot to threaten Superman.

You need to be good to Mom, they lied to her when they told her, "Keep pushing, it will soon be over"!

I got a free car once in 2013. A 2001 Saturn something sedan. 5 speed, might have had air conditioning. I drove it right after my '03 Outback bit the dust at 147,000. Drove the Saturn exactly 6 weeks, it felt like a rolling plane crash everytime I hit a bump on NYC streets. After 13 years in Subarus I was like you gotta be kidding me.

I gave it back to my sister-in-law and took them out to a dinner as thanks. Bought another Subaru
Old 07-04-17, 12:23 PM
nondes 
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 33 Posts
We are into our third successive Forester. We had a problem with clutch burnout with one of the two stick shift models but no complaints about our current 2010 model. We did rent a new Ford Escape on a trip recently, which would be sort of comparable - the power rear door lift and the nav system were appealing but the multiple warnings were just irritating. We were on open, empty roads and every time we touched the middle line we got a "driver fatigue" warning.
Old 07-04-17, 04:59 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1977 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 71 Posts
I drove it right after my '03 Outback bit the dust at 147,000.
Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
I don't get Subaru's. I had an 80's one and it was terrible. My wife insisted we test drive one when we were looking for a new SUV a couple of years ago. I just seemed awful compared to a Honda or Kia. Happy Subaru owners are part of some kind of cult.
I've had 2 Subarus. A 1998 and I loved that car- until I hit a deer- after that it sharply declined. I then got a 2003. That car was garbage. It had more comforts than the 98, but it was nowhere near as good looking or as awesome as the 98. IMO, the AWD sucked on that car, and my engine "broke a rod" around 125,000. I got a new motor and limped it to about 150K, but by that time it was a barely rolling death trap. Cars these days should last more than 150K.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-09-17, 06:43 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dread getting a newer car.

I've had my 2001 Subaru Outback for 10 years now, it has 155k on it. It's been a great reliable car. I got it cheap because it has a bad paint job (paint crackling under the clear coat), and now it has a gimpy transmission. It's a 5 speed and makes a noise in reverse. It's been making that noise for over 5 years now and hasn't gotten any worse. My mechanic thinks it's a loose piece in the reverse fork. I keep nursing it along. I still keep planning on driving the car for a few more years. I took it on a 12 day road trip to Oregon last year. I put new tires on it in December. It's only worth about 1000 bucks to sell it, what with the bad paint and the noisy transmission, so I may as well keep it. I ride my bike to work every day, so I only drive the car about once a week. I generally only put 3000 to 4000 miles per year on it.

My previous car was a 1991 Subaru Legacy wagon. A super bombproof car. I had it for 8 years and it was 17 years old when I sold it. A year before I sold it a drunk neighbor backed his car into my front passenger side door. I pocketed the $2000 for the repair and kept driving the car for another year before I bought the Outback.

I think the best vehicle ever is my bf's 1996 Toyota Tacoma xcab 4wd truck. Only 166k on that beast.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 07-09-17, 09:20 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

I got a free car once in 2013. A 2001 Saturn something sedan. 5 speed, might have had air conditioning. I drove it right after my '03 Outback bit the dust at 147,000. Drove the Saturn exactly 6 weeks, it felt like a rolling plane crash everytime I hit a bump on NYC streets. After 13 years in Subarus I was like you gotta be kidding me.

I gave it back to my sister-in-law and took them out to a dinner as thanks. Bought another Subaru

You weren't on SS benefits etc I take it, legally Mom had to sell the car to me and being an Idahoan the lawyer advised her to collect sales taxes, 6% on $1.

The other car I got from her was under the same arrangement.

Old 07-09-17, 09:23 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
I've never had any issues with any of my Lexuses or my Toyota truck. I still have them and I have NEVER had an issue. So much that on one of my Lexuses, I just got a check for $2500 from them because I never used my warranty so I got my money back. The other two Lexuses I didn't even bother buying a warranty.

And the BMW... it gets taken care of by my son so Im okay there.
Mom had a BMW too...

1974 Brown Matador Wagon (AMC). Loved our BMW. Did NOT love that VW Wabbit.

Old 07-17-17, 07:51 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

My Buick bombed, by the way.

Old 07-21-17, 06:14 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, in Japan the Forrester is advertised by Robert DeNiro. In the ads he drives around the American countryside in his right-hand-drive Forrester, with a smile on his face like the smile I used to have when I drove around with my hand inside my girlfriend's bra.
Old 07-21-17, 10:51 AM
no motor?

Is the Forester popular with lesbians over there like it is here?
Old 07-21-17, 11:01 AM
Ballenxj

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
with a smile on his face like the smile I used to have when I drove around with my hand inside my girlfriend's bra.
Some of my fondest memories.
Originally Posted by no motor?
Is the Forester popular with lesbians over there like it is here?
First I've heard of that one?
Old 07-21-17, 01:18 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Some of my fondest memories.

First I've heard of that one?
Foresters are known as Lesbaru's, even among Lesbians.

My best friends sister is gay (and not attached), tells me she is always observant of other women driving Foresters.
Old 07-21-17, 08:44 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foresters are known as Lesbaru's, even among Lesbians.

My best friends sister is gay (and not attached), tells me she is always observant of other women driving Foresters.
So Subarus are the female equivalent of the VW Jetta?

Most people here in Japan don't drive. A license costs about $3000, and is a bear to get, parking in the cities is upwards of $300 per month. Highway tolls are outrageous, it costs $70 in tolls just to get to the city limits. Gas is three times what it is in America. Annual road tax is $300 to $1200 per year, depending on engine size, and one must get a vehicle inspection every two years, and a dent or torn seat upholstery is enough to fail the inspection. A parking ticket in my neighborhood is $325.

Most lesbians in Japan ride bicycles.
Old 07-22-17, 01:11 PM
Explosive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nowadays you have to vape to drive a subaru. I used to have a cherokee with a 4.5" life and 33x12.50's on it. That thing was a blast and went about anywhere
Old 07-22-17, 03:36 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Explosive View Post
Nowadays you have to vape to drive a subaru.
What does this mean ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.