Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"Rolling Coal" getting spewed in southern Ohio

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Rolling Coal" getting spewed in southern Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 07:03 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
It's been around for a long, long time. Back in the 1960's I saw a Mack road tractor driver laugh hilariously after deliberately blowing dense black exhaust smoke onto (into) a car stopped beside him at a stoplight. In my estimation the action was likely racially motivated.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 09-08-17, 07:06 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I bet that's likely why they do it to cyclists & joggers. They know they need to exercise to stay healthy, but don't want to do it and hate being reminded of it by seeing other people do it.

I had one do it to me when I was out in one of my cars with the top down - its a later model corvette convertible (but not new) --- I guess they were either jealous or spiteful or -- ???

Also had guys in diesel pickups want to drag race me --- Really guys? putting on big pipes and a tuner chip and some different pulleys does not turn a tractor into a dragster -- sheesh

Interestingly enough - no one has ever tried to "roll coal" at me when I am in the Lincoln

Last edited by DMC707; 09-10-17 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-08-17, 07:07 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Happened for the first time to this recumbent rider (no lycra) recently here in suburban Indy. Very annoying.
Old 09-08-17, 08:03 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by roogie
Illegal in Colorado, plus it's very bad for diesel engines since diesel fuel cools the injectors. Very stupid practice.

roog

Well, stupid is as stupid does. Is the saying.
Old 09-08-17, 08:14 PM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Happened to me one time, was unpleasant for a few seconds - in 30+ years of road cycling.
No need to advocate additional potential violence, even if it is your Right.

I agree with - just move on. Nothing here really. Internet babble.
Well put sir-Hats off to you for a mature and level headed reply.
Old 09-08-17, 08:32 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I bet that's likely why they do it to cyclists & joggers. They know they need to exercise to stay healthy, but don't want to do it and hate being reminded of it by seeing other people do it.
No. They think they are bulletproof and the thought they have to exercise to stay healthy never crosses their minds.

Simply, cyclists are seen as a minority group... and we all know it's so easy to bully minority groups.
Old 09-08-17, 08:33 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Pretty bad if you are setting at a bike crossing on a trike and tail pipe height.
To think that you have claimed time and again that there is no comfort downside to riding a recumbent.

This one needs to go in the memory books for future reference.
Old 09-08-17, 08:41 PM
Rcrxjlb

Bikes: Unknown Kalin MTB, 2013 Denali, 1977 Raleigh from Malaysia, 1982 Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This is wrong...
Old 09-08-17, 08:48 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
In the SF Bay Area, the number is 1-800-EXHAUST. It goes to the Air Resources Board, not DMV.
The driver of a truck is going to laugh at a letter about polluting.

It is harassment and possibly assault. The correct number to call is 911.

-Tim-
Old 09-09-17, 09:22 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Also had guys in diesel pickups want to drag race me --- Really guys? putting on big pipes and a tuner chip and some different pulleys does not turn a tractor into a dragster -- sheesh
You'd be surprised. A drag race I went to last year had a Duramax make it to the last eight, IIRC, racing street-legal purpose built dragsters. Those trucks have stupid torque, and torque is what gets you rolling.
Old 09-09-17, 09:40 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I got it off a red light last night, I was in the wife's car and not on a bike. I've never had it happen while cycling but I'm sure it's just because I don't ride in places where it's practical. It's getting worse around here as more teenagers are getting diesel trucks for first vehicles. There must be a surplus of old farm vehicles available, the one last night was an early 80's LWB Ford that looked to have had a hard life.

Really though, I don't mind it any more than the POS ricers with the fart can exhaust.
Old 09-09-17, 09:45 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
You'd be surprised. A drag race I went to last year had a Duramax make it to the last eight, IIRC, racing street-legal purpose built dragsters. Those trucks have stupid torque, and torque is what gets you rolling.

Yes, I've seen some diesels do sub 13 second 1/4 miles at the local drag strip, a relatively slow track making the times even more impressive.

Last edited by dksix; 09-09-17 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-09-17, 11:40 PM
tajar66

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Diesel drag racing is huge and I bet there are plenty of 6000 lb trucks out there that would embarrass a vette
Old 09-10-17, 07:30 AM
FlamsteadHill

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, it can. 1000HP is pretty easily attained, and it's not uncommon for a diesel truck to put out 1500 HP. And since they have full torque at not much off idle they accelerate very quickly.

Here's one doing a 9 second quarter mile, which is faster than the fastest stock Vette ever (C7 Z06).

Old 09-10-17, 09:12 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
Actually, it can. 1000HP is pretty easily attained, and it's not uncommon for a diesel truck to put out 1500 HP. And since they have full torque at not much off idle they accelerate very quickly.

Here's one doing a 9 second quarter mile, which is faster than the fastest stock Vette ever (C7 Z06).

https://youtu.be/oIcOLPrXtQM

Yes , but these are all examples of the old adage
"Just because you can, - doesn't mean you should"

Anyway -- I know a few drag racers, and to a man, they are not the type to "roll coal" on the street in the tow vehicle -- that's the domain of goofball flat-billers and other sub-human life forms
Old 09-10-17, 09:47 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Yes , but these are all examples of the old adage
"Just because you can, - doesn't mean you should"

Anyway -- I know a few drag racers, and to a man, they are not the type to "roll coal" on the street in the tow vehicle -- that's the domain of goofball flat-billers and other sub-human life forms
Oh, absolutely. Just pointing out that as counterintuitive as it may sound, diesel trucks can indeed move down the strip.
Old 09-10-17, 05:01 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
I think they do it because they are selfish jerks who lack empathy.
Old 09-10-17, 05:24 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Luckily the person had the exhaust pipes vertically behind the truck cab, not directly at cyclist level.
Google images for "Prius Repellant". "Sad" - DJT

Thankfully, it is pretty much reserved for Priuses around me.
Not so sure about "thankfully"... I drive a Prius!
Come to think of it, what about the Teslas, Leafs, and other electrics and hybrids? Why pick on only Priuses?
I haven't seen this in Chicago... and there are lots of hybrids.

I agree with Flip Flop Rider - just move on. Nothing here really. Internet babble.
It's a form of assault. Report it.

Illegal in Colorado, plus it's very bad for diesel engines since diesel fuel cools the injectors.
Hopefully there are service costs that will make the good ol' boys think about rolling on anyone else. Assuming they can think.
Steve
Old 09-10-17, 05:49 PM
gilpi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Rolling coal... hmm learned something new here in Bikeforums. Been living in a bubble
From what I just read on rolling coal, these are vehicles modified for spewing smoke on to whomever they choose especially hybrid cars? That really sucks but I'd have to go with the few here that said.... just move on.
Old 09-10-17, 06:06 PM
FlamsteadHill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Not so sure about "thankfully"... I drive a Prius!
Come to think of it, what about the Teslas, Leafs, and other electrics and hybrids? Why pick on only Priuses?
Well, Teslas are luxury performance cars, and Leafs are, well, almost non-existent. Prius(es?) are dime a dozen but still minority enough to be called out. Additionally, unfortunately Prius owners (in general) have a reputation of being a bit off center. Whether that perception is true or not has no bearing.
Old 09-10-17, 06:30 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

...Prius owners (in general) have a reputation of being a bit off center.
Well, thanks for that somewhat back-handed compliment. If "off-center" means being willing to forego neck-snapping acceleration in order to conserve finite resources and reduce contributions to undesirable atmospheric changes, then I'm off-center. Of course, like most hasty generalizations, the truth is often different. And even if it were so, it's not an excuse for covering anyone in exhaust.

BTW, a majority of taxi cabs in Chicago are Priuses or other hybrids. That's pretty much "mainstream" in my book.
Steve
Old 09-10-17, 06:37 PM
FlamsteadHill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, thanks for that somewhat back-handed compliment.
It was meant as neither a compliment or insult, merely answering the question as to why Prius owners seem to have been singled out.

And I did say "generally" and "whether the perception is true or not...". Whether you prefer to include yourself in the "off-center" stereotype and take some pride in it is entirely up to you.
Old 09-10-17, 07:04 PM
sweeks

It was meant as neither a compliment or insult, merely answering the question as to why Prius owners seem to have been singled out.
It's probably because the Prius was the first widely-sold hybrid, and those early models *were* pretty weird!
I don't take it as an insult at all. I'll take a lot of ribbing while I'm driving around averaging 45 - 50 MPG. The ribbing will mostly disappear when gas prices get back over $5 a gallon.
Steve
Old 09-10-17, 08:36 PM
tajar66

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's probably because the Prius was the first widely-sold hybrid, and those early models *were* pretty weird!
I don't take it as an insult at all. I'll take a lot of ribbing while I'm driving around averaging 45 - 50 MPG. The ribbing will mostly disappear when gas prices get back over $5 a gallon.
Steve
I read an article awhile ago that the over all carbon footprint of a Prius out weighs any gas vehicle. True or not I don't know,so of the points of battery manufacturing and transportation of raw good sounded reasonable.
Old 09-11-17, 05:53 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Illegal in Colorado, plus it's very bad for diesel engines since diesel fuel cools the injectors. Very stupid practice.

roog
Even stupider (more stupid?) when they do it with their bread and butter machines.
Gotta admit though, it's impressive to watch these guys launch uphill with 90,000 pounds on the decks.
BTW, do I know you from Hanks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.