Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

What do you do for hobbies?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 10-16-17, 03:56 PM
awesomeame

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda SL w/Vision metron 40 wheelset, ultegra gruppa. 2010 Intense Tracer VP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I need an indoor hobby. Apparently drinking when I'm bored is losing it's enjoyment, lol. I have a great 8.5hr/day day job, ride 2+hrs when the weather is nice, cook all my own meals from scratch, and sleep about 7hrs/night. That leaves me with about 5+hrs of nothing to do. In the past I would have just gone to the gym, but a mountain biking crash a couple years ago means I can no longer lift heavy things, and a foot problem ended all my marathons/lower body lifting. Biking is pretty much it for physical activity beyond walking.

What do you guys do for indoor hobbies when not riding?

Matt
Old 10-16-17, 04:17 PM
Lazyass

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I build plastic models, cars and airplanes. I want to build a model war ship. Something like this below. Each plank is individually fitted, bronze cannons, the works. They aren't cheap.

Old 10-16-17, 05:38 PM
awesomeame

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda SL w/Vision metron 40 wheelset, ultegra gruppa. 2010 Intense Tracer VP

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post
I build plastic models, cars and airplanes. I want to build a model war ship. Something like this below. Each plank is individually fitted, bronze cannons, the works. They aren't cheap.

I'd love to do something like this. Problem is space. Big city living, my bike and trainer are already extremely intrusive in my 518 sqft, ugh. All the wood dust would get everywhere, too :/

Matt
Old 10-16-17, 05:59 PM
Michigander
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Metal working, fixing old cars, some wood working, and dart throwing are my indoor hobbies.

If you get clever you can cheaply make a device to run small wood working tools inside of, such as a dremel, sander, small saw, etc, that looks like a little blast cabinet, having gloved sleeves and a glass top. It's easy to make out of one of those Home Depot storage bins, and can be used with confined space to store all of these things when they aren't in use. An air inlet and outlet being sucked on by your floor vacuum's hose will keep it from getting out of hand with dust. Not counting the tools, such a device can be constructed for under 50 dollars in under 2 hours.
Old 10-16-17, 06:04 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 75 Posts
Read books. Teach yourself an instrument. Volunteer at a bike co-op.

Also, I'm a software engineer for a living, and I program for 'fun' at home as well.
Old 10-17-17, 05:17 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An instrument, I agree. A guitar can easily take up 5 hours of your time. I need to pick mine up a lot more and actually learn to do something with it. Just learning individual songs can be a blast and take up a lot of time.
Old 10-17-17, 05:55 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 53 Posts
I really enjoy handicapping and playing the horses. It's a very difficult game. It takes time to understand why horses win and lose, and much more time to understand when you should put your money at risk.

It looks like you are only 20 minutes or so from Woodbine Racetrack, where they have some of the best thoroughbred and standardbred racing in the world. Check it out; you might get hooked.

Just remember to set yourself a limit every time you go, and remember that it takes a long time to learn. You will get better over time if you keep trying to learn, so start small and give yourself time to figure it out. Every race is different, so you will not win by doing the same things every time. The most important thing is intellectual honesty. The race is what it is, and the probabilities don't care what jockey or trainer you 'like', or how much you need to win to get even, etc. Play each race for exactly what it is, or skip it if you can't find something worth doing.

Remember that you need to work very hard to get a very small edge (or, more likely, just to keep the loss rate very small). Always respect the difficulties you face just to get back to zero, and don't let your emotions (good or bad) influence your play. Just don't even try the slots; the edge is always with the house.
Old 10-17-17, 06:24 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS *NEW BIKE*, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I volunteer at an after school program twice a week. Your work schedule may not allow that, but there are Big Brother/Sister programs with schedules that may compliment your work schedule. As a by product of that, we do special projects with the kids once a week...so, in developing my projects I got pretty involved in several different things that did not take up much space, but kept me busy for several weeks--Biblical based comic books, knot tying (boards), guitar and ukulele lessons, and lately we've been working on electronics from kits that have >100 circuits that may be built and taken down at will (reminds me I need to get hot for tomorrow).

Broken thoughts and sentences follow, but things I do or plan to do: Guitar/ukulele/harmonica are excellent choices for teaching yourself and there are supporting apps/programs now that can get you up to speed quickly (unlike some of us who have advanced little in 40ish years). Model kits are cool--I have some in the closet waiting a rainy day...I try to collect the ones of cars and ships that have been a part of my experience. If you are interested in guns, there are some kits for black powder types available. I know some guys that tie fishing flys and donate the surplus to charity auctions around town. Try to read one history or biography book for every two fiction books...increases your conversation starters. Join a Bible study or a joint interest group with weekly meetings. Take a course at the local university (I do not know your age, but the continuing ed for adults is pretty good most places). Work on cars or bikes. Plant trees. Take dance lessons (there are a wide range, and the ballroom type can open the door to new friends). Take flying lessons. Write blog articles. Write poetry and self publish. Restore children's toys and give to outreach programs. Do mission work--there are many things done in our hometowns to prep for overseas missions that require manpower. Enjoy!
Old 10-17-17, 06:31 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
I really enjoy handicapping and playing the horses.
You beat me too it. And now that we can watch races live from around the world, you're no longer restricted to the hours or seasons of your local race course. We enjoy Australian racing quite a bit, which is later in the evening in our time zone.
Old 10-17-17, 06:48 AM
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 7005 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Growing... stuff...
Old 10-17-17, 09:51 AM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by awesomeame View Post
So, I need an indoor hobby. Apparently drinking when I'm bored is losing it's enjoyment, lol. I have a great 8.5hr/day day job, ride 2+hrs when the weather is nice, cook all my own meals from scratch, and sleep about 7hrs/night. That leaves me with about 5+hrs of nothing to do. In the past I would have just gone to the gym, but a mountain biking crash a couple years ago means I can no longer lift heavy things, and a foot problem ended all my marathons/lower body lifting. Biking is pretty much it for physical activity beyond walking.

What do you guys do for indoor hobbies when not riding?

Matt
Cat herding. It's not easy, I have the scars to prove it too.
Old 10-17-17, 01:53 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
You beat me too it. And now that we can watch races live from around the world, you're no longer restricted to the hours or seasons of your local race course. We enjoy Australian racing quite a bit, which is later in the evening in our time zone.
It is very compelling, with the turf races and the big fields. However, it is not available at my podunk dog track. It's kinda past my bedtime, anyway.
Old 10-17-17, 03:37 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
acoustic guitar, overnight backpacking on weekends
Old 10-17-17, 03:43 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6702 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
acoustic guitar, overnight backpacking on weekends
Whoa... dude asked about "indoor" activities... So, unless you're hiking to a hotel, not sure if that counts...
Old 10-17-17, 04:57 PM
windhchaser 

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Making canoes from old cans
Old 10-17-17, 04:57 PM
windhchaser 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And lieing about my hobbies
Old 10-17-17, 05:02 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 75 Posts
and chasing windh

second time today I made that joke!
Old 10-17-17, 05:08 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I build engines for my race bike and cars.

Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
Making canoes from old cans
Heh,heh... I also practice welding beer/soda cans together.
Old 10-17-17, 05:43 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
^Nice. A buddy of mine buys engines off wrecked motorcycles and puts them in his custom drag bikes. He makes the frames.
Old 10-17-17, 05:49 PM
windhchaser 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
I build engines for my race bike and cars.

Heh,heh... I also practice welding beer/soda cans together.
I wanna learn to weld it would be so handy
Old 10-17-17, 07:47 PM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
^Nice. A buddy of mine buys engines off wrecked motorcycles and puts them in his custom drag bikes. He makes the frames.
Winter project is to stuff a Banshee 350 2T engine into Ninja 250. Target is 60-70bhp in 280-290 lbs ready-to-race package. Might just turbo it for +100bhp!
Old 10-17-17, 07:48 PM
windhchaser 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Winter project is to stuff a Banshee 350 2T engine into Ninja 250. Target is 60-70bhp in 280-290 lbs. Might just turbo it for +100bhp!
Don't forget to upgrade the brakes
Old 10-17-17, 08:06 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 86 Posts
Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
Old 10-18-17, 06:42 AM
late
Banned.

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 9306 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Over the decades, I've had a lot of hobbies. One I still have is reading. Used to make beer when I lived in a place where I could keep it cold while it fermented. Hiking and backpacking, flyfishing, stereos (music), video games, Go, tournament chess, climbing (nothing fancy, no gear, just find something vertical and climb it) and fixing my fixer upper.
Old 10-18-17, 08:36 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1710 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Something to try is radio controlled, MICRO Helicopters.

I can recommend one of these,

https://www.amazon.com/Single-Rotor-.../dp/B009SE5DRO

Capable and challenging while being almost indestructible. You will eventually break them but they are pretty cheap. Great indoor flyers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.