Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I almost passed out and dont know why (??)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-17, 08:23 AM
anaclaudia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, so yesterday I went cycling with my friend, and in the day before i had a couple drinks, but not much (idk if it is relevant). Anyways, I was kind of tired, but not exausted, I felt fine, just a little tired, but then my friend pulled over because his bike had a problem, and only when we stopped I started feeling really heavy, I couldnt hear almost anything and my vision got really dark, then I said "hey dude, can you get me water? im not really feeling fine", he went to buy me a bottle and I sat on the floor. As I sat it only got worse, and I think it is important to say that I live in Brazil, and its really hot in here, so I went for a shade and at that point I was SURE I was going to pass out. Then some guards showed up, and a dude offered me water. When my friend got there I was surrounded by people and I already felt realy better, then we walked our bikes to a restaurant where I ate and waited a little until we got back.
Anyways, i dont know what happened, if it was because of the sun and the heat, if it was because I was dehydrated or if it was some kind of hypoglicemia crisis (im not diabetic by the way), so I was hoping to find someone who went through something similar or knew what it was to explain it to me.
Sorry for the long topic and for any grammar mistakes, im not a native speaker.
Old 12-18-17, 08:33 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Maybe a combination of things caused it, water, heat and exercise. If it happens again soon, go see a doctor. Nobody can really help you with physical issues like this online.
Old 12-18-17, 08:35 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your English is better than most Americans, who are the most likely to respond to your post, so there is no need to apologize. It sounds like you probably had a bit of a heat stroke. Dehydration, which can be a result of drinking alcohol, combined with exertion and heat, can cause some of the symptoms you described. You should see a doctor, and make sure there is nothing else that you need to worry about. We can't know your medical history, age, fitness level, or experience, so it's not really helpful to try to diagnose your case, but it sounds like you need to get hydrated, and take it easy in the heat, for a while. Talk to your doctor, and explain what happened.

Maybe you're pregnant! I know I'd pass out, if I were! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-17, 08:42 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
The internet is not a great place for medical advice, but it sounds like a scary experience. It is something you should talk over with your doctor. It really could be anything from a one time combination of heat and dehydration, to a more serious problem that needs to be looked into.
Old 12-18-17, 09:00 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, anaclaudia! What we call that up here is that you "bonked". Riding in hot weather, you need extra water and food and take more breaks. Nothing serious, but see a doctor any way to make sure there are no issues you do not know about. Please report back often!!!!
Old 12-18-17, 09:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
possible heat stroke. glad you are feeling better
Old 12-18-17, 09:10 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I have had things like this happen before from dehydration - both feeling "off" and on one occasion, actually passing out. Hot and humid weather can definitely put some stress on the body - and if you started the day off a bit dehydrated (perhaps from drinks the day before) that can only make it worse.

Check the Training and Nutrition subforum for some threads about staying properly hydrated. Replacing electrolytes is important especially in hot/humid weather, and you want to avoid both dehydration and overhydration (which can be dangerous.)

If it's a one-time incident, I wouldn't worry too much. If it keeps happening: doctor.
Old 12-18-17, 10:22 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Just agreeing with everyone---I'm just that kind. Particularly after drinking alcohol, which tends to dehydrate the body, and always when riding in hot weather, Drink Lots and pay attention to your body.

When I lived in Central Florida (not Brazil, but it does get hot and humid) I had similar experiences on a few occasions. I wouldn't worry about a health issue, but I would learn from this and prepare better.

Welcome to BF, and Keep enjoying the ride!
Old 12-18-17, 10:40 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Felix Natal Anaclaudia. And Merry Christmas also.
Old 12-18-17, 11:16 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Sounds like a bonk, with heat exhaustion. I've only felt something similar right after stopping, when it's really hot and I'm riding without water. When you're riding, the breeze tends to cool you but then you stop and it hits you all at once.
Old 12-18-17, 12:21 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alcohol both dehydrates you and causes your blood sugar to drop. Maybe you hadn't fully rehydrated and gotten sufficient glucose back.

One time combined with the alcohol, no biggie. If it repeats then see a doctor.
Old 12-18-17, 12:53 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Maybe a combination of things caused it, water, heat and exercise.
^^ That would be my guess as well..
Old 12-18-17, 03:42 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
This is Bike Forums, not Doctor Forums. The symptoms you've described very closely resemble a brief hypotensive state. Many here will call it "bonking," but without knowing you, your medical history or current physical condition, anything you read here (including my response) is wholly inadequate.

Schedule an appointment with a trained professional immediately. Let them perform a routine workup based on your symptoms and experiences. What happened my very well be benign, or it could be an indication of something serious. Only an adequate evaluation will provide the best, safest answer.

-Kedosto
Old 12-18-17, 07:16 PM
anaclaudia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Maybe a combination of things caused it, water, heat and exercise. If it happens again soon, go see a doctor. Nobody can really help you with physical issues like this online.
yeah i know, i will schedule an appointment in january, but thanks anyways
Old 12-18-17, 07:18 PM
anaclaudia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
Your English is better than most Americans, who are the most likely to respond to your post, so there is no need to apologize. It sounds like you probably had a bit of a heat stroke. Dehydration, which can be a result of drinking alcohol, combined with exertion and heat, can cause some of the symptoms you described. You should see a doctor, and make sure there is nothing else that you need to worry about. We can't know your medical history, age, fitness level, or experience, so it's not really helpful to try to diagnose your case, but it sounds like you need to get hydrated, and take it easy in the heat, for a while. Talk to your doctor, and explain what happened.

Maybe you're pregnant! I know I'd pass out, if I were! Merry Christmas!
Thank you I'll probably see a doctor next year, but im pretty sure im not pregnant hahah. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-17, 07:20 PM
anaclaudia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
The internet is not a great place for medical advice, but it sounds like a scary experience. It is something you should talk over with your doctor. It really could be anything from a one time combination of heat and dehydration, to a more serious problem that needs to be looked into.
Yes, of course. I came here only because I was really scared, but I also talked with my family and im going to the doctor soon to make sure everything is fine. thanks anyways
Old 12-18-17, 07:21 PM
anaclaudia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Welcome to Bike Forums, anaclaudia! What we call that up here is that you "bonked". Riding in hot weather, you need extra water and food and take more breaks. Nothing serious, but see a doctor any way to make sure there are no issues you do not know about. Please report back often!!!!
Thanks! Im seeing a doctor soon
Old 12-18-17, 07:28 PM
rachel120

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
This is Bike Forums, not Doctor Forums.
Since this is brought up on any similar thread on any forum, just remember there's a reason support groups are popular and a reason doctors urge you to join one. Sometimes it's nice to hear that what you are experiencing is normal, sometimes it's needed to hear things aren't typical to something, and sometimes you learn stuff from someone else in similar circumstances that a medical professional doesn't talk about.
Old 12-18-17, 08:50 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
This is Bike Forums, not Doctor Forums. The symptoms you've described very closely resemble a brief hypotensive state. Many here will call it "bonking," but without knowing you, your medical history or current physical condition, anything you read here (including my response) is wholly inadequate.

Schedule an appointment with a trained professional immediately. Let them perform a routine workup based on your symptoms and experiences. What happened my very well be benign, or it could be an indication of something serious. Only an adequate evaluation will provide the best, safest answer.

-Kedosto
The first sentence is key. People are very different, and so anyone else telling you "yes, yes, that's exactly what happened to me!" is likely not giving you information that applies to you. Idiopathic (meaning "of unknown cause") syncope (passing out) can reflect anything from dehydration to much more serious conditions. Idiopathic syncope in an otherwise young, healthy person is definitely the universe telling you to see a trained physician.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 12-18-17 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-18-17, 09:05 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by anaclaudia
Okay, so yesterday I went cycling with my friend, and in the day before i had a couple drinks, but not much (idk if it is relevant). Anyways, I was kind of tired, but not exausted, I felt fine, just a little tired, but then my friend pulled over because his bike had a problem, and only when we stopped I started feeling really heavy, I couldnt hear almost anything and my vision got really dark, then I said "hey dude, can you get me water? im not really feeling fine", he went to buy me a bottle and I sat on the floor. As I sat it only got worse, and I think it is important to say that I live in Brazil, and its really hot in here, so I went for a shade and at that point I was SURE I was going to pass out. Then some guards showed up, and a dude offered me water. When my friend got there I was surrounded by people and I already felt realy better, then we walked our bikes to a restaurant where I ate and waited a little until we got back.
Anyways, i dont know what happened, if it was because of the sun and the heat, if it was because I was dehydrated or if it was some kind of hypoglicemia crisis (im not diabetic by the way), so I was hoping to find someone who went through something similar or knew what it was to explain it to me.
Sorry for the long topic and for any grammar mistakes, im not a native speaker.
I did the exact same thing here in Yucatan last summer. I'm almost certain it was dehydration. In my case though, I lost more than an hour that I can't remember, and sustained a concussion during that lost time. I'm told I dismounted under control, and then had trouble moving around. The concussion resulted from a fall. It was an especially hot and humid evening.

Old 12-18-17, 09:28 PM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Syncope or fainting (or almost fainting) can be caused by a variety of things. Without testing, it's impossible to be sure of the specific cause of your episode. Even then, the cause is very often never discovered.

A close friend in her mid-60's had an episode about a year ago with symptoms that sound similar to yours. She had extensive medical testing that focused on two key things: her heart and her nervous system. The doctors wanted to rule out things like heart arrythmias and other circulatory problems and some type of neurological problem or a tumor in the brain. She had none of these conditions and they never found anything. She was told that the cause of most syncope episodes is never found. She has not had another episode. Where I live, the law requires you to stop driving a car for six months after you've had a syncope episode.

Of course, as you and others have said, this could have been triggered by dehydration or heat stress or something closely associated with your bike riding. Perhaps when you went from a sitting position to a standing position, there was less blood flow to your brain. Drinking more fluids and riding during a cooler part of the day might be worth considering. Good luck!
Old 12-18-17, 09:39 PM
tajar66

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had a very similar experience. Hot out did a ride that really pushed me hard on the last climb wasn't feeling to good at the top. Heading down the hill cramping really bad. Finished up the ride didn't start feeling right for a couple hours. Never happened before and hasn't happened since.
Old 12-18-17, 11:35 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by anaclaudia
I started feeling really heavy, I couldnt hear almost anything and my vision got really dark
I had this happen to me as well. It was a really hot day and I had been walking a lot in Washington D.C. going to monuments & museums. Once I got into the Holocaust museum I started feeling horrible, hearing nearly gone & everything was getting dark (like a tunnel, darkness closing inwards). I fell against the wall and slid down but was only out for maybe a minute, if that. Figured it was from not eating yet that day, and possible dehydration.
Old 12-19-17, 09:12 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
As a retired health professional, I'm reluctant to offer a diagnosis based on the limited information available, but dehydration would certainly be high on the differential list.
Old 12-20-17, 05:24 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
AGE ? ... WEIGHT ?... PRIOR MED HISTORY ? >>> MEDS/blod pressure med ! ? ...etc all ops are guesses without better history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.