Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Saddles

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Saddles

Old 05-19-19, 05:23 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
Bike Saddles

I'm just getting back into riding after almost twenty years if not away, then somewhat removed (ie, 500 miles was a really good year). I spent my late twenties riding on nothing but Flite Titanium saddles. Now I've been experimenting with various pressure reducing saddles - twenty year old Flite Trans Am, Selle Italia C2, Fizik someting or other, San Marco Squarda, Astute Starline. I had my Colnago out today for 35 miles - it has the Flite saddle that I bought it with last year. I still find that saddle to be about the most comfortable one I've ever used. Anyone have any thoughts on saddles in your 50s?
Old 05-19-19, 10:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another one?

Sorry, .. 5000+ existing 'which saddle '? threads.... read thu any, before starting another one?

basically .. get a saddle or 2 & sit on them .. it's physiology , anatomy ..

I am not sitting on a saddle with your hips .. other than that its a popularity contest..

Me My, drop bar tour & road bike Brooks Team Pro, SI Turbo, SM Rolls are similar ..

I'm sitting up more, not on a drop bar bike.. so

FWIW, I have several Fizik For Brompton Vitesse [ Pleather for rainy place I inhabit ]

C 17 was an option, but these ^^^ cost less.. at the time..

happy search plan..

NB: you may hate someone else's favorite saddle ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-22-19 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-19-19, 10:23 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Padding. I've always been biased towards padded saddles. Especially since I don't wear padded shorts.

Sciatica and a case of noassitol means I need more padding than I used to. If you see a guy riding a bike with a yellow donut, that might be me.

Seriously though, the last seat I bought was a Cloud 9 commuter saddle. It could be a bit firmer, but seems okay so far. Definitely better than the anal wedge "retro" saddle my last bike came with.

Last edited by FiftySix; 05-19-19 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-19-19, 11:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
The only thing to pay attention to is what works for you.
Old 05-20-19, 01:20 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I have both a Selle Anatomica X2 (gravel bike) and a Brooks B67 (fat e-bike). Both are very comfortable.
Likes For CodyDog:
Old 05-20-19, 12:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
My butt keeps changing .When I was in my 20s, I liked the then-new Avocet Racing and Touring saddles. In my 30s I liked the Selle Italia "Turbo" saddles. Now in my 60s, I like Brooks "Professional" and Idéale leather saddles best.
Old 05-20-19, 05:57 PM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I just went through this myslelf and read through a gazillion saddle posts. Finally happy with my new saddle and no I am not goint to say which one it is. Read the gazillion posts and buy what sounds like it might work for you. Not being snarky, there just is a ton of opinions already.
Old 05-21-19, 07:11 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 222 Posts
Like Mr. Thompson, my preferences have changed. I no longer ride what I did 20 years ago when I was in my 50's. Now, I'm only comfortable on Brooks or Selle Anatomica offerings. No one can predict what might be comfortable for you.
Old 05-21-19, 07:33 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
As has been said, what works for you. With this addendum......your butt will change as you get more miles in the saddle. So, today's uncomfortable saddle might work just fine in a month or two.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-21-19, 10:59 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
This is clearly a case of YMMV. For myself, I've tried a zillion different saddles and the most comfortable by far is the Brooks B-17 Imperial. Heavy, but oh so worth it. As they say, it "just disappears" under me. All those long distance bike tourists I see riding down Highway 1 on tensioned leather saddles can't be wrong.

Here's what the dearly departed great Sheldon Brown had to say about plastic versus tensioned leather (i.e. Brooks, Selle Anatomica, Rivet) saddles:

Plastic saddles have four advantages over leather ones:

1. They are lighter.
  2. They are weatherproof.
  3. They do not require breaking in.
  4. They are cheaper.
Leather saddles have three advantages over plastic:

1. The big advantage: they are much more comfortable!
  2. They are generally more durable;
  3. They can be repaired.
Old 05-21-19, 02:01 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Flat and Firm

Those are my requirements. There are many saddles that accomplish that. Flat refers to the portion on which I perch, across the saddle. Flat, not arched. Also, I adjust saddle pitch angle so that the seat portion is level, irrespective of where the nose is (usually pitched up to accomplish this).

Firm. This means that if there is padding, then it must be quite firm and minimal. That's why I like the Brooks Team Pro, Brooks B17N, the Gyes GS-17A cut-away laced, or any of the modern flat saddles like the Fizik Pave CX or anything with that profile. There are literally dozens that are fine.

Firm and Flat. Also, although I do wear cycling specific shorts most of the time, I don't need to for comfort. It's mostly for sweat management and reducing friction on the saddles. No need to wear holes in shorts that aren't meant for cycling.
Old 05-21-19, 02:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,345 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Flat and Firm
My old saddles were pretty barrel shaped...

So, like you, I have started gravitating to saddles with flatter wings on the rear.

I buy a lot of used stuff, and don't think I have any two bikes that are configured exactly the same including different saddles on each one.

I have started nosing down most of my saddles to relieve sensitive pressure points, and use my legs and body to keep myself in place.
Old 05-21-19, 05:00 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
As I stated right up front, that old Flite Titanium is still comfortable, I was surprised to see. When I first started riding them in 93, I found a new one had exactly the feel of sitting on a 2x4, but they quickly broke in (or maybe I did) and were comfortable even on all day rides, albeit with some occasional numbness as I recall.

Ten years ago, I swapped my Flite for a Flite Trans Am, attempting to relieve pressure down there (after some surgery, for around two years I couldnt even sit on a saddle without pain, or at least discomfort after maybe an hour). I suppose my question was more regarding experiences of men of that age where prostate and other issues become more common. Anyone worry about the plumbing?

I remember around twenty years ago there was a rider in my club who rode without seat/post, I would presume because of some issues. That seems a little extreme, and dangerous, to me.

I wasn't really looking for a recommendation. I'm down to 5 different saddles on my 5 bikes - I use the trainer mounted one as test bed. All are some variation on slightly curved (for those of us who aren't flexible), and have about the same geometry of a Flite (width/length), but a cutout or groove. Now I'm thinking of just going back to the classis Flite.
Old 05-21-19, 05:59 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I'm 57 and rode Avocet O2 Racing saddles for more than 20 years. Had them on all my bikes. The shell on the O2's flexes and has a cutout under the perineal area to relieve that pressure point. On a lark this year, while kitting a new frame, I bought a new style Flite and a Fabric Race. Between the two the Fabric fits my backside better. The Flite is a flat saddle, the Fabric Race is more rounded, but not as much as my old Avocet's. What's the point? I guess just to say that each person needs to experiment in order to find what fits them best. You may end up with a saddle or two that needs to be offed (anyone need a Flite?) but that's a small price to pay for comfort.
Old 05-21-19, 08:19 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Everyone is different when it comes to saddles. My advice, is to try different saddles to narrow down what type of saddle you prefer. Try flat saddles, short-nose saddles, curvy saddles, less padding and more padding. I've been through a dozen saddles and for me, there is nothing more comfortable than the Specialized Power Saddle. I found many saddles can be comfortable on short rides, but when you are riding over 50 miles, you'll know if the saddle doesn't agree with you. Good luck and I hope you find the one.
Old 05-21-19, 08:59 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
Ten years ago, I swapped my Flite for a Flite Trans Am, attempting to relieve pressure down there.
If pressure is a concern, it's worth checking out the Selle Italia SLR Superflow, which has the largest cutout of any saddle I've tried.

Old 05-21-19, 09:06 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I like WTB saddles. But everyone is different so trial and error.
Old 05-21-19, 09:18 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 75 Posts
One thing that has not been mentioned, is that some bike shops offer a saddle library. You can take out a saddle for a few days or a week and give it a try. If it does not work, bring it back and try another.
Old 05-21-19, 10:47 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
All of you are wrong.

Fabric Scoop.

Now you know. Don’t make me say it a second time.

-Tim-
Old 05-22-19, 04:50 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by GailT
If pressure is a concern, it's worth checking out the Selle Italia SLR Superflow, which has the largest cutout of any saddle I've tried.

Paint that sucker yellow, and I'm in.
Old 05-22-19, 05:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I mostly prefer Selle Italia saddles shaped pretty much like the SLR Superflow above -- fairly flat, not much upward flare at the rear, not too much padding. I like 'em. If I needed more perineum pressure relief I'd definitely consider one with a larger cutout.

My three saddles vary in padding and I've found it helps to adjust the nose angle a bit (level with some, downward with others), and padded shorts.

With my lightly padded Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio, I prefer the saddle level and thicker pads in shorts. The shell doesn't give much so it needs to be level and fore/aft set just right so my sit bones park naturally in the sweet spot. I tend to shift onto the nose for some sprints, back onto the flared rear a bit for some climbs.

With the more thickly padded Q-Bik I prefer the nose down a bit and thinner shorts. It has a more flexible shell that gives a bit, so when my body weight is on the saddle it's actually more or less level and doesn't feel nose-down. The small pressure relief cut out helps a bit, but works best with thin pads or unpadded shorts.

I've tried some more heavily padded saddles with flexible shells, and some with a sort of "hammock" feel, but the initial impression of comfort lasts only about 5-10 miles before the limitations become apparent.

I've found only a couple of saddles that couldn't be made comfortable. Sometimes they resembled saddles I do like, but there was something about them that wasn't quite right -- too much padding, too curved, etc.
Old 05-23-19, 02:32 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Been on SMP's for about 5 years, mostly the Lite 209 though I have a Drakon as well. Whenever I've tried a flat saddle, I find coming back to the SMP like a well shaped couch, just fits me nicely. Only thing about that 209 is that it is heavy, roughly 310 gms. They are also tough to set up right.
Old 05-24-19, 11:21 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by timothyh
all of you are wrong.

Fabric scoop.

Now you know. Don’t make me say it a second time.

-tim-
+1
Old 05-24-19, 04:23 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Finding the "right" saddle is a very personal, and subjective thing, IMHO. I was always uncomfortable on the Turbos and Avocet copies back in the day, but as a casual rider I could put up with some minor discomfort. A few years back I bought an expensive Specialized model that got high praise, but still wasn't quite right. Later I bought a Secteur road bike, which came with the Riva model saddle. It was kismet! The Riva - Specialized's cheapest saddle - was made for my rear end. I bought several for my different bikes, but not enough, as the Riva was discontinued, of course, before I could equip my entire fleet. Sometimes they pop up on fleaBay.

Find a bike shop that has demo saddles to try out. Also ask if they have a "sit kit" to help measure your sit bones' width. That helped me determine I need at least 140mm width across the wings/rear of the saddle. I'm thinking about getting a used Brooks Professional for the Raleigh Pro, to keep it period correct. Have no experience with them, however.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports