Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stay with racing frame or move to touring?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Stay with racing frame or move to touring?

Old 03-09-19, 09:19 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Midway
I think you are on to something. I was always led to believe the Colnago Master Piu had a relatively short wheelbase but whether it does or not, I was beginning to think it could be something else. I seem to have more weight on my hands then I would like and I'm finding that can magnify some of the twitchyness I feel. I plan on getting some time on my bikes while building up core fitness and then checking my bike setup and go from there. Thanks.
Here is what I found on Colnago steel framesets, the master series but not exactly your version. It may be helpful. But notice that the item "J" wheelbase is not measured. I don't know why.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Col...-Frameset/25TH

Now compare this with a racing road bike like the current Cervelo R-5. Other bike manufacturers like Specialized, Trek, Giant, would have a wider array of models to choose from, but with Cervelo its basically three basic models for road racing, the R, the S, and the Time Trial bike. This makes it less of a guess work as to their tendency towards a short wheelbase for handling at the pro level. Not that everyone is at the pro level.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/r5

https://www.cervelo.com/en/r2
Old 03-09-19, 10:43 AM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
The Master was used by a number of racing teams starting around 1983. The Master Piu was an evolution introduced later in the 80's as Colnagos's top of the line steel frame and never officially distributed in the US. They seem to have a bit of a cult following with all kinds of incomplete information if you search.

https://www.colnago.com/en/brand/

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Here is what I found on Colnago steel framesets, the master series but not exactly your version. It may be helpful. But notice that the item "J" wheelbase is not measured. I don't know why.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Col...-Frameset/25TH

Now compare this with a racing road bike like the current Cervelo R-5. Other bike manufacturers like Specialized, Trek, Giant, would have a wider array of models to choose from, but with Cervelo its basically three basic models for road racing, the R, the S, and the Time Trial bike. This makes it less of a guess work as to their tendency towards a short wheelbase for handling at the pro level. Not that everyone is at the pro level.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/r5

https://www.cervelo.com/en/r2
© Credit Colnago and taken from the link in my reply above.

Old 03-09-19, 12:46 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
There are different types of "racing frames." I'd ride anything that was successfully ridden on a Grand Tour. Those are bikes designed to be ridden in close quarters while tiring the rider as little as possible. That's what I like.
Old 03-10-19, 07:50 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The Colnago Master

https://www.colnago.com/wp-content/u...RADITIONAL.pdf

This diagram has the size 54 and 55. The Front/center = 591 and the chainstay length = 405 with a total overall 996. Then for the size 55 its 594 + 406 = 1,000

Compared with Cervelo R-5 size 54 we get 594 + 410 = 1,004 and size 56 594+410 = 1,004

Very close, both with short wheelbase.
Old 03-10-19, 08:10 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Racing or touring, binary options in a world with fat more than two choices.

What about an endurance road bike like the Cannondale Synapse? How about a forgiving Gravel bike fitted with some fast rolling but wide tires? How about a flat-bar hybrid with more upright posture?

A touring bike can be your fun ride bike, but one of these other options may be even better for that purpose.

Ride the race bike for a few weeks and decide if you are able to get accustomed to it. If not, try out many alternatives before narrowing your search to binary and finally unary options.
Old 03-10-19, 10:54 AM
Midway

See post # 43. I now have two great bikes to ride.

Originally Posted by daoswald
Racing or touring, binary options in a world with fat more than two choices.

What about an endurance road bike like the Cannondale Synapse? How about a forgiving Gravel bike fitted with some fast rolling but wide tires? How about a flat-bar hybrid with more upright posture?

A touring bike can be your fun ride bike, but one of these other options may be even better for that purpose.

Ride the race bike for a few weeks and decide if you are able to get accustomed to it. If not, try out many alternatives before narrowing your search to binary and finally unary options.
Old 03-10-19, 06:16 PM
Midway

I've been fighting a cold and it has been so cold for so long but today's heatwave of 50 degrees and sunny was impossible to resist so took a nice ride along the green river. Ride 3 on my path to rehab my new hip. Sure beats the trainer.

Old 05-22-19, 04:11 AM
KIM750

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you like the Synapse? I'm 60 and a casual rider. Maybe 75 miles a week. I plan on riding a century this fall, and am thinking of getting a Synapse to replace my CAAD 4. My casual rider friends all tell me that carbon is a little easier on the body. Which Synapse did you get?
Old 05-22-19, 06:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
"Twitchy" often refers to head-tub angle and fork rake/trail/whatever than anything else---and most "racing" bikes were designed to be "twitchy," as in very responsive to the slightest steering input. I sometimes call them sneeze bikes---if you sneeze while riding you will find yourself on the other side of the road. Great if you are making sudden changes in direction in racing conditions, and sometimes a little unnerving for casual riding. Just like a race car, the machine is built to be "driven" constantly and with constant attention--no sightseeing, no day-dreaming. Up on the wheel, All the time.

You can ride a bike like that just fine on the street, and enjoy it a ton, but it has its own demands.

I have a last-gen Cervelo R5 clone (my "racy" bike") and a couple endurance-geometry frames. They are completely different bikes, and offer very different riding experiences. I wouldn't give up either.

I will say, after a long day on the Cervelo clone, if I want to ride the next day, it will be on one of the comfort cruisers .... my body cannot do the bent-over, high-focus, weight-forward stance for two long days in a row. But that reflects my lack of fitness more than anything else.

Having both bikes should be a blessing and a bonus for you.
Old 05-22-19, 07:10 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by KIM750
How do you like the Synapse? I'm 60 and a casual rider. Maybe 75 miles a week. I plan on riding a century this fall, and am thinking of getting a Synapse to replace my CAAD 4. My casual rider friends all tell me that carbon is a little easier on the body. Which Synapse did you get?
I would not ignore a CAAD 12. I just bought this one and I find it to be both quick and comfortable. If you go with an AL frame you will get better components for the same price as a CF frame. I should mention that I'm 73.
Old 05-22-19, 07:13 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Just to be clear....I have nothing against CF other than the cost for a frame that doesn't strike me as all that much "better" than a quality AL frame. Of course you may have a different experience. I'm just suggesting you try one to see if it works for you.
Old 05-22-19, 07:14 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Fat tires rock and a "touring" or a "gravel" bike can take them. Plus you get all the gearing you'll ever need if going somewhere with mountains/tough hills, etc. Gravel rides are fun too.
Old 05-22-19, 09:13 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Road bikes are a lot different than they were when I was first buying one around 2005.

Then: 25mm tires would barely fit. Many riders were using 23mm at 110 psi. 50-34 and 12-27 cassettes were about the max range.

Now:
I think most road bikes will fit 28 or 32mm tires. There are fast, flexible lightweight road tires in 28 or 32, that are as fast as the old 23mm but can run way less pressure.

Lots of bikes come with 11-32 now. I really like the lower gears on very steep hills.

Electric shifting is great for areas with lots of rolling hills. I often shift for just a few pedal strokes, then shift again, it's so fast and easy.

The compact bars on most road bikes make riding in the drops very easy. So my bars are set just a little below the saddle height, and I use both hoods and drops. My old bike's drops were a bit uncomfortable, just for downhills and strong headwinds.
Old 05-22-19, 09:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
follow up on my # 30 ..
Old 05-22-19, 10:02 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
"Twitchy" often refers to head-tub angle and fork rake/trail/whatever than anything else---and most "racing" bikes were designed to be "twitchy," as in very responsive to the slightest steering input. I sometimes call them sneeze bikes---if you sneeze while riding you will find yourself on the other side of the road. Great if you are making sudden changes in direction in racing conditions, and sometimes a little unnerving for casual riding. Just like a race car, the machine is built to be "driven" constantly and with constant attention--no sightseeing, no day-dreaming. Up on the wheel, All the time.

You can ride a bike like that just fine on the street, and enjoy it a ton, but it has its own demands.

I have a last-gen Cervelo R5 clone (my "racy" bike") and a couple endurance-geometry frames. They are completely different bikes, and offer very different riding experiences. I wouldn't give up either.

I will say, after a long day on the Cervelo clone, if I want to ride the next day, it will be on one of the comfort cruisers .... my body cannot do the bent-over, high-focus, weight-forward stance for two long days in a row. But that reflects my lack of fitness more than anything else.

Having both bikes should be a blessing and a bonus for you.
If you like it, it's quick. If you don't, it's twitchy. Conversely, if you like it, it's stable. If you don't, it's sluggish.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-25-19, 07:06 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Everybody is different, but I've progressed from entry racing bike to a heavy touring bike and then finally at a bit of a mixture. My current favorite ride is a Specialized Diverge. The big thing is comfort. The ability to go with wider tires is probably at the top of the list, followed by a longer wheelbase. And the Diverge has future shock. On my upcoming race on the Trans Am, I'm going with 32mm tires. A little wider than most, but I can feel the comfort gain without recognizable drag. The bike will also fit gravel-grinding widths. I have a separate wheel set with 38's. I have modified the bike a bit, as I've shortened the crank to 165 (eliminated rocking hips). In doing that, I had to ditch the 48/32 chainrings and go with the standard 50/34. So to get some lower gear for the 14% grade hills in the east, I replaced the cassette with an 11-40. We will see how it goes, but it is pretty nice ride that I can be at least a little speedy.