Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Old 07-23-19, 08:28 AM
  #1026  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,804

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 399 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8953 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
They are clincher rims, 21mm ID, I believe. I'm 147ish this summer, but that number gives me the whim-whams.
If it were my choice, I would aim for 70-75F and 75-80R. But tweak to comfort and if you start getting pinch flats (assuming not tubeless) you are too low.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 08:29 AM
  #1027  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 25,599

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6253 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
Dropped my 12 year old for his bus ride to the summer camp. First time he’s going to spend three weeks away from family. I think I’m more nervous than he is. I’m gonna miss the little guy.
But he's going to absolutely love it.

It's best that you start getting used to these separations now, because when college departure comes . . . that's a biggie.

The one I remember most fondly was the first time we let our son go to an evening HS football game alone. We knew he was in good company, but that didn't stop us from fretting.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 08:30 AM
  #1028  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,405

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9294 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
So, the new Cervélo has Hed Belgium + rims and 25 mm tires. Hed say 67 psi (!) for that combination and my weight band (see below). I have gradually come down from the low 90s to just below 80 on the rear, and a few less on the front, without noticing much more than a small low frequency shift in the peak power detected by my crotch sensors. As for speed, who knows? I want it to ride like a beach cruiser and go like a rocket. Should I continue to lower the pressure?

Yes. Go lower. If you start wondering if you have a flat because you're getting a little bouncy, go back up a few PSI. I run my 30s at around ~70 psi rear (currently a little under 190) - works wonderfully.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 08:49 AM
  #1029  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,804

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 399 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8953 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 110 Posts
It's funny, but so many cyclists did not get the memo about tire pressure and continue to pump them up to 115PSI or whatever the "max PSI" on the sidewall says.

FWIW I run 23mmF and 25mmR and narrow rims, but even so have settled on 80-ish PSI. Ordinarily you should be 5-10 PSI higher in back but since I am 2mm wider I run same front and back.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 08:52 AM
  #1030  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,539
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
So the monsoons have begun.
In some areas it has.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 10:17 AM
  #1031  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 45,251

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6223 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
It's funny, but so many cyclists did not get the memo about tire pressure and continue to pump them up to 115PSI or whatever the "max PSI" on the sidewall says.

FWIW I run 23mmF and 25mmR and narrow rims, but even so have settled on 80-ish PSI. Ordinarily you should be 5-10 PSI higher in back but since I am 2mm wider I run same front and back.
I tell someone, almost every day, that they don't need to run max. pressure in their tires.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 10:26 AM
  #1032  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,539
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
I tell someone, almost every day, that they don't need to run max. pressure in their tires.
Once a week I inflate my 30mm tires to 60/55psi. The Domane rides like a Cadillac over rough pavement, with no noticeable loss of speed.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 10:30 AM
  #1033  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,180

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
I tell someone, almost every day, that they don't need to run max. pressure in their tires.
I have an acquaintance who is a little older and used to ride a bunch in the 80s and is recently getting back into cycling. He recently bought a really nice Diverge. But he is also one of those people who knows everything.

He has a habit of asking "why" questions about current trends in cycling -- wider tires at low pressures, 1x for CX, tubeless, discs, etc. And then when I explain why--without endorsing these trends, but rather providing the objective rationale behind various choices--he will then argue with me about them mainly based on the fact that that's not how things were 20 years ago.

So when he shows up with his 38mm tires pumped up to 100 psi I don't argue with him.
ksryder is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 10:33 AM
  #1034  
kissTheApex
Senior Member
 
kissTheApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 645

Bikes: Fuji Team 08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I went to camp for 4 weeks when I was 14. Couldn't wait to get away from my mom.
I had, and still do have, a strained relationship with my mom. Worked every summer at some sort of hotel, shop, restaurant far from home till college. Then as a divemaster through college, but then college was about 500 miles away...
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Tough times for a dad. Hope it's a good experience for both of you.
Thanks. I keep joking I’ll sneak in and kidnap him
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
But he's going to absolutely love it.

It's best that you start getting used to these separations now, because when college departure comes . . . that's a biggie.

The one I remember most fondly was the first time we let our son go to an evening HS football game alone. We knew he was in good company, but that didn't stop us from fretting.
Yeah, he loved the place when we went for the open house, camp radio/recording studio, water sports at the lake, a wood working shop much better equipped than what I’ve in the garage, cooking lessons from professional chef! I was like “f the kids, can I come and stay?”

i don't want to think about college yet! Too soon for me
kissTheApex is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 10:42 AM
  #1035  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,405

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9294 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
So when he shows up with his 38mm tires pumped up to 100 psi I don't argue with him.
Gods, I hope you're not being literal.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 10:46 AM
  #1036  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,405

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9294 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Once a week I inflate my 30mm tires to 60/55psi. The Domane rides like a Cadillac over rough pavement, with no noticeable loss of speed.
I'm thinking that I'm going to give the 28mm Pro Ones a try next. I know that they're not going to be as durable, but I want to see how much faster/more supple they are vs the GOSpeeds. I was tempted to order them on Amazon just now, pretty good price ($45ea) and they'd be here tomorrow, but I'm still without a rear wheel.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 10:55 AM
  #1037  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 23,195
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9063 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 425 Posts
I pump up my tires to 11.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 10:57 AM
  #1038  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,539
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I'm thinking that I'm going to give the 28mm Pro Ones a try next. I know that they're not going to be as durable, but I want to see how much faster/more supple they are vs the GOSpeeds. I was tempted to order them on Amazon just now, pretty good price ($45ea) and they'd be here tomorrow, but I'm still without a rear wheel.
Let us know how that goes. I'll probably stick with G-One Speed tires, but I was thinking about giving those a try.

Merlin has them slightly cheaper, but you'll have to wait 10 days for them to arrive.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalb...yre-89170.html
noodle soup is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 11:00 AM
  #1039  
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 11,607
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4871 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
They are clincher rims, 21mm ID, I believe. I'm 147ish this summer, but that number gives me the whim-whams.
Are they crabon rims?
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 11:03 AM
  #1040  
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 11,607
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4871 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 46 Posts
I went lower pressure for awhile. And wider for awhile. I'm currently riding 23mm - 27mm tires at 100psi rear and slightly less front. Most of them are 25mm. I don't like squishy tires. But then I still ride steel.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 07-23-19 at 11:10 AM.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 11:43 AM
  #1041  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,804

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 399 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8953 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 110 Posts
I saw a patient today who has sleep apnea. His sleep specialist made an adjustment to the CPAP settings, and raised the setting to 11.

I joked to the patient that he has his device "cranked up to 11" but I am afraid he did not get the reference.

Sad.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-23-19, 11:57 AM
  #1042  
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,614

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I pump up my tires to 11.


I pump mine up to 400 watts.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 12:03 PM
  #1043  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 2,879

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Are they crabon rims?
No, aluminimum.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 12:07 PM
  #1044  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 23,195
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9063 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 425 Posts
I have been doing some cross-Pennsylvania tour planning in anticipation of September. Thinking either Pittsburgh to Philly, which I did in 2013, or starting in Erie like in 2017 but this time visiting an old friend who runs a B&B/camping/sky diving place just below the NY border before continuing on home.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 12:13 PM
  #1045  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 2,879

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I saw a patient today who has sleep apnea. His sleep specialist made an adjustment to the CPAP settings, and raised the setting to 11.

I joked to the patient that he has his device "cranked up to 11" but I am afraid he did not get the reference.

Sad.
As a lapsed neurologist, I'm here to tell you that Spinal Tap jokes rarely produce much hilarity among patients.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 12:20 PM
  #1046  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,405

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9294 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Let us know how that goes. I'll probably stick with G-One Speed tires, but I was thinking about giving those a try.

Merlin has them slightly cheaper, but you'll have to wait 10 days for them to arrive.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalb...yre-89170.html
Yeah, I'll report back. I'm still super happy with the GOSpeeds, but I'm just curious. I hope that I get 1200 miles out of the Pro One rear - finger crossed.

And yeah, I always check with Merlin first, but the Amazon price is close enough and I'm a sucker for (almost) instant gratification.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 12:35 PM
  #1047  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 16,217

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
He has a habit of asking "why" questions about current trends in cycling -- wider tires at low pressures, 1x for CX, tubeless, discs, etc. And then when I explain why--without endorsing these trends, but rather providing the objective rationale behind various choices--he will then argue with me about them mainly based on the fact that that's not how things were 20 years ago.
Does your acquaintance post on Bike Forums?

In this thread?

Asking for a friend.
__________________
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
It's never about getting comfortable. It's about getting capable.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 07-23-19, 12:38 PM
  #1048  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,804

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 399 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8953 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
As a lapsed neurologist, I'm here to tell you that Spinal Tap jokes rarely produce much hilarity among patients.
Yet another example where it's better to give than to receive.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 12:49 PM
  #1049  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 2,879

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Yet another example where it's better to give than to receive.
It's been many years for me, but the box is still checked on my credentialing sheet. I wonder if it's like riding a bicycle.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 12:51 PM
  #1050  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,405

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9294 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 198 Posts
Important news - I got my grubby paws on some white chocolate peanut M&Ms. Initial impression is that they're pretty good, but not that much different than regular peanut M&Ms - a little bit of a lighter/sweeter aftertaste. The dark chocolate version is more pronounced and still my favorite overall, but I'll be sure to update with a long-term review when I get some more miles in.
WhyFi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.