Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading XLXI

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 10:58 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Manual? That would help. Mine predates my arrival at the house by at least 5-10 years, so it's got to be 25+ years old.
Old 07-29-19, 11:42 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Manual? That would help. Mine predates my arrival at the house by at least 5-10 years, so it's got to be 25+ years old.
Well when shopping for a new board I found out there is basically one company that makes the boards that all the manufacturers use, so yours may be pretty similar to mine. FYI there are three fan power leads connected to terminals on the board. The terminals are labeled ACB Low, for the low speed fan only circulating mode, ACB Heat and ACB Cool. They are heavier wires look like #10. I took ACB Cool off the board and wired it to a 120v hot via a light switch.

Hopefully the service folks show up tomorrow and get you going again. Hopefully the board I have coming fixes our problem and I don’t short it out when installing it!
Old 07-30-19, 01:09 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Welp, it's a blown board and I'm sure I'm getting ***** on the replacement since I'm letting somebody else do it.
Old 07-30-19, 01:16 PM
jimincalif

From what I saw online, board replacement and labor is $700 - $900. I ordered the board for $158. So assuming I don't screw up I'm ahead. Of course Amazon sent it via pony express USPS, so still not here yet. We'll see.
Old 07-30-19, 03:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Haven't done this in awhile. I last broke 1,000 miles in December of last year, but did it in 27 rides instead of a foolhardy 22-- that's a 45.6 miles per ride average.

Also, the Rapha Festive falls in there in December-- where I have to do +300 miles in 7 days.

A thousand in December is significantly easier than a thousand in July, I can tell you that for absolute certain. I think I had 2 rides for the entire month start after 7am, and one of 'em almost killed me.

Will he take it easier in August? Who knows!

Old 07-30-19, 03:29 PM
jimincalif

Wow, and there is still one day left this month!

I usually do a short ride on Tues mornings, but still feeling a bit knackered from Sunday's SART hammerfest, so I skipped. Interesting that holding someone's wheel for 15 miles of SART at 23-27 mph (heading inland) killed me more than climbing Onyx, GMR or ski slopes for that matter. My heartrate did not exceed anything I normally do, mid 150s.
Old 07-30-19, 08:33 PM
jimincalif

Welp, it's a blown board and I'm sure I'm getting ***** on the replacement since I'm letting somebody else do it.
I’m happy to report that the control board transplant was a success, all systems go, at least til something else breaks!

It was not exactly Spock’s brain to install, but the instructions did leave a bit of interpretation to the reader.
Old 07-30-19, 11:23 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Nice. Mine is mounted upside down in the housing... who thought that was a good idea? Fortunately, it's dark and about 140 degrees in the attic.

Whole house fan has an internal short, so time to replace that big guy too. *sigh*
Old 07-31-19, 10:08 AM
jimincalif

Nice. Mine is mounted upside down in the housing... who thought that was a good idea? Fortunately, it's dark and about 140 degrees in the attic.
Well, that's a heckuva good reason to pay someone else to do it, I'd probably do the same! Mine is in a hall closet, just had to kneel on the carpet to change it out.
Old 07-31-19, 01:55 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I'm not 100% positive, but it looks like my board is this one: 1012-940-J (amazon has tons) and I'm not certain if there are any differences at all between the variants. I'm going to look at the board before he installs it because $138 on Amazon is not $500 from the HVAC company and not even close. I'll sweat a little for that.
Old 07-31-19, 02:09 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Similar enough as to be related, a power outage a few years back smoked both control boards in our Whirlpool Duet Washer. Quote for repairs was like 60% the cost of a new washer. I opened the unit up, got the S/Ns on the boards, and found an appliance outlet on eBay. Both boards together totaled $70. The new boards were so small compared to the originals, I had to fabricate new brackets to hold them-- and much to my surprise, OEM Whirlpool parts.

Appliance repair seems to be an equal split of labor and markup. Paid $80 years ago because the oven wouldn't stay lit. Guy came out and "fixed it" twice. I eventually ended up diagnosing it myself and fixing it for free. DIY, man. Order the Amazon board.
Old 07-31-19, 03:11 PM
jimincalif

Yes, I have replaced the LED readout boards on our ovens a couple times, replaced the oven temp sensor (after the appliance repair person told me the main board needed replacing even though the error code said it was the sensor), replaced delrin bearings in the dryer, and re-soldered a burned heater element connection on the circuit board in the dishwasher. Lots of bucks can be saved these days, there is plenty of info on bulletin boards and YouTube for many routine appliance repairs.
@TrojanHorse, your board is a bit different than mine, but same basic concept. Yes there a lot of branded versions of the same thing out there. Mine came with a wiring harness adapter and a mounting plate adapter and fairly decent instructions, it was the Emerson 21D83M-843 Integrated Furnace Control Kit.

Top Tip. If you can, physically dismount the old board and mount the new one before undoing the wires from the old board. Then follow the directions to move the wires over - easy if the new board is identical to the old one, but avoids some confusion and stress. And of course take some pictures first.
Old 07-31-19, 04:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Welp, it was a completely different looking board when the guy brought it in, so I resigned myself to paying out the nose. The price he quoted me included the service call(s) and installation, so I feel better about it. This furnace is so damn old... (how old is it?!!) and as I mentioned, there was no way to get at the board in the 140 degree attic without suffering. Also no way to get it out without disconnecting some wires. All's well that ends well, he did a good job.

A lot of new appliances have diagnostic ports - my fridge died a few years about, about 20 milliseconds outside of warranty I believe. guy plugged a tablet into the port on top of the fridge, said it's the condensor fan and replaced it. $100 fan (basically an over-sized computer fan, must be worth about $14.99. After all the surcharges & visit fee it was $400+.

I should get a port reader before it dies again.
Old 07-31-19, 04:30 PM
jimincalif

$500 for the service calls and new board is not awful. Plus having to do it upside down in the attic in the summer is worth something too.
Old 07-31-19, 04:39 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Amen to that.

I'm thinking of hitting the mean streets of OC for a ride to Oceanside on Saturday, or at least san clemente. Might melt, hard to say.
Old 07-31-19, 05:51 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Amen to that.

I'm thinking of hitting the mean streets of OC for a ride to Oceanside on Saturday, or at least san clemente. Might melt, hard to say.
If you go the PCH way...it won't be too bad? I had fun last Sat on my ride thru Santiago. I used a route you shared with me to figure out route after Santiago Cyn. I enjoyed it. Was a first for me that I was sweating so much that I left SALT on my U/A cap under my helmet! I used two pickle juice shots and 4 bottles with electrolytes plus my camelbak filled with ice/water. Man I needed that in the canyon to get COLD water here and there.