Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I want to buy a sports watch

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I want to buy a sports watch

Old 08-02-19, 07:35 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Buy a Polar heart rate strap download the app and record the ride to your phone and it can automatically upload to Strava. I found that wearing a digital sport watch during riding was pretty much worthless they take two hands to operate and you can barely see the screen in full sun.
Old 08-03-19, 01:10 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464 View Post
Stay away from Withings. I have the Steel HR worked great for the first 6 months now I can't get it to work on all functions. I have contacted their customer support all they keep saying is follow the web instructions. They have no repair facility and won't warranty a software problem. Read the reviews on Amazon, I am not alone.

I am not a happy camper.
Agreed. I had their first watch (analog). The leather band died after 6 months. The watch after 9. They replaced the watch and band, and both were dead in 6 more months.
Old 08-08-19, 08:08 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Another +1 for Garmin VivoActive 3. Not very expensive for an activity watch.
Old 08-09-19, 06:56 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I bought a cheap Chinese smart watch, SN60 plus, for around $35 or so. The watch is great, but the downloadable software leaves a little to be desired. Unfortunately it won't sync with Strava but I can still go into the app and see my heart rate and other vital data. I was hoping it would work in that capacity but I'm not too disappointed it doesn't.
Old 08-09-19, 08:38 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 3 year old Fitbit Blaze that works well for what I do. Seems to be accurate with average heart rate over rides. I sync it with a cheap Android phone.

I'm gonna roll with the Blaze until it dies. Versa is the new Fitbit model that replaced the Blaze, AFAIK.
Old 08-10-19, 01:56 PM
zen_

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso 105 road, Specialized Rockhopper dirt drop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The watch is great, but the downloadable software leaves a little to be desired.
This was also my experience with an aliexpress GPS sports watch (iwownfit P1). The watch itself was pretty decent and easy to use, but the software was total junk. It also didn't use a .fit file format to include data from heart rate or cadence sensors.

I would strongly suggest a Garmin watch because the software is amazing, and the watches can easily pair up to ANT+ sensors to use in the same way you'd use a head unit. The data just won't be right in front of you all the time, but is exactly the same for post-ride analysis.
Old 08-10-19, 04:26 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome View Post
Polar M200 here, pretty happy with it.

Not my arm not my M200....picture for reference.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/fitness-...to-your-wallet

Didnít Bret Favre say something similar?
Old 08-10-19, 10:22 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1961 Legnano Gran Premio, 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 105 Posts
I've had a Garmin Vivosmart HR for a around 3 years, and suddenly the battery won't take a charge. The band also broke about the same time. I found bands on Ebay for <$5, but the battery is not replaceable. 😡 I contacted Garmin and was quoted $89 for repair. I only paid $75 for it used from a friend who wasn't using it much. I checked Amazon and found a refurb Vivosmart HR for $59, incl shipping. I've bought refurb cameras before and been happy with them. I was happy with the Vivosmart up to now, so, I'll give it another try. I really prefer my Garmin 810 with HR chest strap for cycling, but the watch is useful for other activities, and does interface to Strava and Garmin Connect as well as My Fittness Pal. I will never understand the products that don't allow reasonable user repair, like battery replacement. Sure glad I didn't buy the $5 band!
Old 08-12-19, 07:54 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_ View Post
This was also my experience with an aliexpress GPS sports watch (iwownfit P1). The watch itself was pretty decent and easy to use, but the software was total junk. It also didn't use a .fit file format to include data from heart rate or cadence sensors.
You can tell that not much effort was put into the phone app for this watch, or else it was rushed. And it's also got some "Engrish," or bad translations from Chinese to English. But it works well enough for my purposes.