Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Anyone near Greenville SC want to offer me advice?

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 08-11-17, 09:27 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 452 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts

I'm taking a bus from NYC down to Greenville SC next weekend, arriving Greenville early Saturday morning, perhaps not very well rested.

From there I'm riding up to Sylva NC on Saturday, back to Salem SC on Sunday. On Monday I'll ride around a bit, mainly looking for a good place to watch the eclipse (perhaps Clemson University) before riding back to Greenville for another overnight bus back to NYC.

Route advice would be welcome; I'm not in the least familiar with the area.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Rudi
Old 08-12-17, 05:28 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm heading to the same area for the eclipse but I'm afraid I don't know enough to give you advice. Best of luck. I have no choice but to drive in the same day, I just hope I can make it.
Old 08-15-17, 08:13 AM
Ex Pres

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Haven't ridden the area, but you can always check out Strava heatmaps.

Is that ride up to NC along the Assault on Mt Mitchell routes?
Old 08-17-17, 01:44 PM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
I'm taking a bus from NYC down to Greenville SC next weekend, arriving Greenville early Saturday morning, perhaps not very well rested.

From there I'm riding up to Sylva NC on Saturday, back to Salem SC on Sunday. On Monday I'll ride around a bit, mainly looking for a good place to watch the eclipse (perhaps Clemson University) before riding back to Greenville for another overnight bus back to NYC.

Route advice would be welcome; I'm not in the least familiar with the area.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Rudi
I've been doing some more research for eclipse watching in the area. Have you see the GHS swamp rabbit trail? I'm going to avoid Greenville for the eclipse just to avoid traffic so I've been looking at Travelers Rest which is just outside and the first town I'll come too on my route. The Swamp Rabbit connects Greenville to Travel's Rest. It's 20 miles in total and there are a bunch of parks along the way. I'm aiming for Trailblazer Park. There is an event there. There's also an viewing even at Furman University which is on the trail.
Old 08-17-17, 01:53 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 452 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
@Brooke1687, thanks! That is more or less what I'd decided to do. Furman might work; there's also some hills just east of there, from which there might be a view. We'll see what traffic looks like after the event; but it's only ten miles back to my bus, afterwards, and I'll have a few hours for the ride.

The nights before I'll be staying in the area, so hope to get some advice from people who know the area.
Old 08-18-17, 03:44 PM
zacster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
I'm going down also and we're bringing bikes. Not sure if we will ride into the eclipse path or not. I have no idea of the terrain there and anything more than a slight rise would be a no-go for my wife. I'm pretty sure it will be a mod scene anywhere you go.