Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Stiff neck and shoulders

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Stiff neck and shoulders

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 05:36 PM
stykthyn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stiff neck and shoulders

When I ride road I have no issues whatsoever. On my MTB I finish the day with neck and shoulder pain. Frame is a 17.5 and I'm 6' tall. I sat a 19" frame and the stand over height was a little uncomfortable(32" inseam). Would raising the bars help? I also find myself unsteady when leaning over the bars during a technical climb. I originally thought this was just me being a novice but I'm starting to feel that the bike may not fit me that well.
Old 11-22-17, 09:35 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
It could be the different handlebars. Let your arms hang comfortably then bend up 90 degrees at the elbow, note your hand orientation is similar to how you would ride the hoods on a drop bar. With flat bars you have to rotate your hands, this can cause shoulder issues. My wife was experiencing this to the point of getting medical treatment and PT. The therapist pointed this out. We got her a drop bar bike and the issue is much improved.

Obviously lots of people ride MTBs so you might just need to condition yourself. Try doing "yes no maybe" neck stretches and shoulder shrug exercises. I will occasionally get neck and between shoulder pain while riding my road bike, I can do a set of the YNMs while waiting at a traffic light. Almost immediate relief.
Old 11-23-17, 03:32 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
17.5 seems small for 6’
Off road is going to use different muscles. I recommend a good fit as top tube height isn’t as much of a factor off road as most people think.
Old 11-23-17, 11:35 PM
trailgumby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a bike fit from a professional fitter. People do it all the time for road, but sometimes seem a bit weird about doing the same for MTB. I've done it twice and it made for a dramatic improvement in my comfort and power output. Just make sure you get it done a few weeks before any major rides or races. This is to give your body time to adapt by doing a few light to moderate spins...
Old 11-25-17, 11:14 PM
tajar66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a tendancy to tense my shoulders more on my mountain bike I really have to think about relaxing my shoulders while riding.