Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Local Performance Cycling Shop Going Out of Business Sale

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 05:11 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts

The local bike shop I patronize is not Performance Bicycle but I was going to Advance Auto parts near Performance and saw the "Store Closing Sale 30% off" signs, so I went in. But, at 30% off their prices were about the same as typical online prices, or the sale pricess my LBS will have over the winter. Plus stuff that I actually needed (like tubes) was not on sale. Figured I'd be better off supporting my local bike shop than helping spend $$ at a store that is closing down anyway.

Maybe when the sign says "60% off" I'll get tempted.
Old 12-06-18, 09:14 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I've noticed the same. They have a set of wheels I want, and I am tempted to make an offer to see what happens but I'm afraid they wioll accept and I really don't need the wheels. I may go in this weekend and give a lowball offer a shot.
Old 12-06-18, 06:01 PM
carlycarlcarl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Possibly depends on what they buy on consignment. They may be able to get their money back from the distributors and it's one last chance to make some profit
Old 12-06-18, 09:05 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
The folks running the sales have an obligation to the company and the bankruptcy courts to get as much money out of the closings as possible. Can't just firesale from the get-go.
Old 12-07-18, 02:06 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
yeah 30% of for a Giro Synthe is tempting, but.... Multiple other local bike shops will still be here long after Performance is gone.
I'd rather support one of the shops that will be here tomorrow, next year etc... Especially the shop that hosts many things for the community.
Old 12-07-18, 05:11 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The store I checked out was a joke as far as bargains go. The sale doesn't have to be 2 extremes: high prices or 'fire sale' as another poster stated. If they're not gonna offer any decent prices, why bother with the sale at all? I saw nothing in the store I looked at that was even close to what you could buy it online for, which kind of killed the 'sale' aspect of it to me. Maybe it'll get better as time goes by..?
Old 12-07-18, 05:47 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
The folks running the sales have an obligation to the company and the bankruptcy courts to get as much money out of the closings as possible. Can't just firesale from the get-go.
This. Have some patience.
Old 12-07-18, 08:34 AM
tajar66

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Our local Performace is closing as well. We got a couple smokin deals.
Old 12-07-18, 10:38 AM
monstorr

Bikes: Trek Crockett 7 and a bunch of projects =)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My local Performance isn't running any sales yet. Patiently waiting to see what I can snatch up!
Old 12-07-18, 10:52 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I ordered something online Black Friday instead of dealing with the crowds, and it was backordered anyway. I'm still waiting to see when it's going to ship to me.
Old 12-07-18, 10:55 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Not every Performance store is closing, so leftover merchandise might get redistributed rather than slashed.
Old 12-07-18, 01:25 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Not sure if Performance will really give any truly good sales. Bankruptcy judge is keeping Performance Bikes from announcing store closing sales:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reta...s#.XArItNtKj0M
Old 12-08-18, 06:03 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Not sure if Performance will really give any truly good sales. Bankruptcy judge is keeping Performance Bikes from announcing store closing sales:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reta...s#.XArItNtKj0M
Now that has changed. It seems all stores can use "Store Closing" banners/signs provided it adheres to state law.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...ance-locations
Old 12-08-18, 01:56 PM
The Quiet One

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going out of business sales are handled by liquidators, not the stores themselves. Their 30% off is calculated from the the manufacturer's full retail price and have no relation to the price the items sold for when the original owner ran the show. You can find bargains, but like every other thing in this world it's buyer beware.
Old 12-08-18, 04:10 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Now that has changed. It seems all stores can use "Store Closing" banners/signs provided it adheres to state law.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...ance-locations
Thanks and Wow! Reading this, the total employees are 1944 with 1662 at the shops. Which means there are 282 employees in both the NC headquarters and Philly HQ. But they put 260 employees all together on notice for layoff's!

That doesn't sound like a company that is considering restructuring. Or otherwise they plan on staying very small in the future. Wow, maybe there will be good clearance prices after all.

I had thought that prices really wouldn't change since they most likely would move inventory to the stores that are staying open or to their online sites.
Old 12-08-18, 04:34 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
The store I checked out was a joke as far as bargains go.
Ditto. I surprised there weren't better deals. For a no-returns, no-continuing-service sale, I could do better internet shopping.
Old 12-08-18, 05:10 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I got some Five-Ten Freeriders for under $60, including tax (10.25%, I think) today 40% off ($60) - 10% off ($54) + 10.25% ($5.54). It's not hard to get them for 20% off online, but it's very hard to get them for less than that. I'm happy. Five days ago, the price would have been $77 - 30% off plus tax.

On weekends now, they give an extra 10% off what you spend. Later that will happen on weekdays, too.

The prices will get better as time goes on, though the choice will get worse.
Old 12-08-18, 07:08 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
My local store was not on the first list, but seems to be now. Closing signs and discounts signs in all the windows. The store was quite busy compared to before bankruptcy. Actually saw a guy walking out with a bicycle in the original box from the manufacturer. Also, saw two mechanics that were new to the store, assembly bicycles like crazy.
Old 12-08-18, 08:50 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
As of yesterday Dec 7th ...
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/importantupdate

All Sales are Final. No exchanges, no returns* and no adjustment on prior purchases. (*Refunds may only be for merchandise having a latent defect and returned within 7 days of purchase with receipt).
• We are no longer accepting "Special Orders."
We can no longer offer Ship-to-Store, Ship-from-Store, store transfers or Store Pickups of online or phone orders.
We will no longer price-match competitors, or PerformanceBike.com (sale pricing, coupons and other layered discounts). Online purchases cannot match in-store prices.
• Our Layaway, Trade-In and Hide-a-Bike programs are discontinued. (Existing Hide-a-Bike purchases will remain available for pickup on or before Christmas Eve.)
Online purchases can no longer be returned to any Performance Bicycle store. Contact our customer service department here to discuss returning your online purchase.
We will no longer offer financing at any Performance store. Financing remains available for online purchases through PayPal Credit.
We will no longer offer Lifetime Free Adjustments.
• All manufacturers' warranties remain in effect for purchases either in-store or online.
We can no longer offer free, in-store assembly of bikes purchased at PerformanceBike.com or via phone order.
We no longer offer Performance Bicycle led group rides at our retail locations.
Old 12-10-18, 09:49 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
Not every Performance store is closing, so leftover merchandise might get redistributed rather than slashed.
I may stand corrected -- an employee told my wife yesterday that all the Performance stores are now closing. Unconfirmed, but credible.
Old 12-10-18, 10:01 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
I may stand corrected -- an employee told my wife yesterday that all the Performance stores are now closing. Unconfirmed, but credible.
Confirmed. I got an email from them that was confirmed by an employee that all stores are closing. Brick and mortar Performance is done.

Also, this "sale" is garbage at this point. As any of us tight wads know, for years Performance has been running 20-30% sales weekly. If you paid full price at Performance, you were not paying attention. What they've done with these "store closing" sales is discount from the full retail MSRP. These discounts are "up to 40%" but mostly 10-20%. As a result, this is less of a deal than many of their standard weekly sales. I found nothing in the shop I went to that struck me as a particularly good deal. Still, it seems to be working for them. I saw several people there buying armloads of stuff that they could get any day of the week online for less. Based on my experience, don't believe the hype.
Old 12-10-18, 02:20 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Sad to hear they're all closing. Bloomfield and Ann Arbor had good knowledgeable people.

My original point remains though. Bankruptcy overseers have an obligation to get as much more ney as possible, just because something isn't a screaming deal to you doesn't mean others won't find it enough of a discount to pull the trigger. It'll be months before they get to the 90% off, blow it all out sales
Old 12-10-18, 03:11 PM
travbikeman

Kind of figured that all stores were going to close with the amount of layoffs that were being projected. Bummer that you can't check on Performances site if products are at the stores anymore. Looks like they took that ability away.
Old 12-10-18, 03:24 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
They are crossing out the "original" MSRP with permanent marker and hand writing in the "new" MSRP. For example, $100 helmet is now $130 helmet with 20% off.
Old 12-10-18, 03:47 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by Elvo
They are crossing out the "original" MSRP with permanent marker and hand writing in the "new" MSRP. For example, $100 helmet is now $130 helmet with 20% off.

That is hilarious. I need to go see this at our local Performance Shop just to have a good laugh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.