Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Too many Hyrbid Bikes to pick from - Another please help question

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 02:42 PM
slp0704

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, My husband and I are in our 40s and are planning to ride for exercise on mainly park paths. He has an old Trek that he is getting fixed up. I haven't ridden a bike regularly in over 20 years. I usually prefer sports like soccer. However, we would like to try riding. I did not realize that there were so many bikes out there to pick from. It is mind boggling the number of bikes. I am looking in the $500 price range in case I don't like the sport but can go higher if I find a bike that wows me. I am thinking I will ride maybe 25 miles every two weeks or so but may increase if I really like it. I live in NJ and there are actually some nice paths here.

I am generally very decisive. I guess I just haven't found the one that says "I am your bike." So far, I have tried only on parking lot test runs:

1) Marin San Anselmo DS3 - $550 - not bad and a possibility but haven't read a lot about Marin's
2) Trek Neko WSD - the store was nice but did not like this bike at all for no particular reason
3) Specialized CrossRoads Sport - comfortable but would like a little better performance in case I get into cycling and want to ride more miles. $510
4) Specialized Ariel Sport WSD -good performance but chain fell off easily and just did not grab me. However, this store was by far the most helpful and the only one who tried to make sure I had the right bike size. He even put one out of the box together for me as I needed medium. 2014 for $522
5) Jamis Allegro Femme - not bad but no wow factor $519
6) Jamis DXT Femme- has disc brakes and comfortable but not sure size fit that great - $619
7) Cannondale Quick 5 - $590 - fast bike and very nice but did not like the grips so much

I have read on these forums a lot of positive things about the Jamis Coda and would like to try that one soon. There is no dealer real close but I will be near one next weekend. Any help or feedback on these or any other bikes would be appreciated. I am definitely deciding after I try the Coda. I guess out of the 7, I kind of like the Cannondale the best so far. Thanks so much for any tips.
Old 04-25-15, 03:16 PM
steve_cay

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You have many different types of hybrids on that list.

For example the Trek Neko is a "Dual Sport Hybrid" that has offroad capable tires with a suspension fork (if you want to do some mild off-roading).
The CrossRoad is an "easy riding hybrid" that has an upright steering and fat tires (for comfortable cruising).
The Cannondale Quick is a "fitness Hybrid" (for fast efficient road use).

So in order to "un-boggle" the mind, perhaps spend some quality time at one dealer (Trek, Specialized, or whatever), with a good salesman, and try some bikes to first determine what category of hybrid you want. I.e. DualSport, Easy Riding, Fitness, etc. Don't look at price yet. Also note that marketing wise, each brand may call those categories something else.

Once you figure the category out, all the brands have a "model line" in each category, and each model line has versions at each price point. So for example if you decide you want a "Fitness Hybrid" you can narrow your choices to the Cannonade Quick, Trek FX, and Specialized Sirrus. Then if you want to spend ~$600, that puts it at the Quick 5, FX 7.3, Sirrus Sport (going up and down in price can add things like the disc brakes, better accessories, etc). Try each of those and pick the one that feels the best.

Makes sense? (Otherwise it can be like deciding between a Ford pickup truck, a Honda CRV, or a Toyota Camry!)
Old 04-25-15, 03:26 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Have you looked at the Classic & Vintage forum? Classic (usually 1990's) hybrid bikes are a bargain. Even if you have no bike repair skills, a very good classic hybrid can be found in the range of $50 to $150. Another $50 - $150 at your LBS will give you a great bike - if you or your other have tools and skills, you can reduce the cost further.
Old 04-25-15, 04:58 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked 1,226 Times in 620 Posts
OP,
Are you intending to stay on paved surfaces (road, path)? If so, and given you say you kind of like the Quick 5 so far, I'd suggest:

1. Go back to the friendly/helpful Specialized dealer you mention, and
2. Try this: Specialized Bicycle Components or this: Specialized Bicycle Components
Old 04-25-15, 05:41 PM
slp0704

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I like the car analogy. I think I can rule out the Dual Sports as I plan to stay on the paved paths or neighborhood roads. I will try to visit a dealer next weekend who can help me narrow down style b/t comfort and fitness. That Vita also looks nice. Thanks so much for the help.
Old 04-25-15, 06:09 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 1,066 Times in 545 Posts
Since you are coming into this as a novice, a helpful bike shop will be worth a lot. All the larger bikes brands will have a model that should meet your needs, so go to the shop that you are most comfortable with. You will be using them a lot for a while to do adjustments, install accessories, etc. As stated above, try to figure out what type of bike matches your riding style, then look for bikes that match that.